Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank blues (question)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank blues (question)

So I came out of the garden to do my BofA cli (which increased my limit from 2 to 6k, also got a bump from Amex from 2500 to 7k thank you very much) and decided to app for a us bank card since I got a prequal offer.

I got a 5-10 day wait message but was approved. Today, I received my card with my giant limit of.........$500 Smiley Sad

Can this be reconned? I’m inclined not to keep the card even though I took the hit because I can’t do anything with a card that low unless someone has a good argument for me to keep it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

Re: US Bank blues (question)

@Anonymous wrote:
So I came out of the garden to do my BofA cli (which increased my limit from 2 to 6k, also got a bump from Amex from 2500 to 7k thank you very much) and decided to app for a us bank card since I got a prequal offer.

I got a 5-10 day wait message but was approved. Today, I received my card with my giant limit of.........$500 Smiley Sad

Can this be reconned? I’m inclined not to keep the card even though I took the hit because I can’t do anything with a card that low unless someone has a good argument for me to keep it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

My guess is that you're a newcomer to USB.  Do you bank with them?  They reward their customers somewhat, and there are successful posts here about decent starting lines $5k-$10k.  Without more info, its a bit hard to say in your case.  As a USB homer, I can tell you that BOA and Am Ex will grow your accounts faster.  Between the three for me, USB was far behind the other two, but has come on strong with cli's as of late, for me.  The Cash+ is a decent card, as is the Alt Reserve.  Depends what you're looking for...Good luck!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really much help to you, but just wanted to say you are not alone. They did that to me 2 years back. After 5 or 6 months of that old website, I decided it wasn’t worth my time and canceled. Had always pif of course. Fast forward a year and I got bombarded with offers from them, which I took. Nice 7k and up SL and already a cli. Just some data for you.

Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info so far. I am new to US Bank. I liked the idea of picking categories for 5% (even if the categories weren’t always great).

The other reason I’m inclined not to keep it is I’m afraid that super low SL is a flag to them to keep me in a group that will never truly grow. I feel like that SL is a “we’ll let you in but you’re a huge risk”.
Message 4 of 35
Nan425
New Contributor

In January 2017, I applied for the Amex 365 and they told me that my limit was $500. I immediately asked for an increase and they were able to increase it to $2,000. You should call them and ask for limit increase without another credit pull.
Message 5 of 35
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the info so far. I am new to US Bank. I liked the idea of picking categories for 5% (even if the categories weren’t always great).

The other reason I’m inclined not to keep it is I’m afraid that super low SL is a flag to them to keep me in a group that will never truly grow. I feel like that SL is a “we’ll let you in but you’re a huge risk”.

It will grow. Since this is your first US Bank product, you need to show a bit of usage, let them see you make your payments, and then plenty of CLI will be available down the road.

The Cash+ is a very nice card, since it can pick up categories other cards cannot. Cellphone is a good one. Department Stores means you don't have to get a store card. Sporting goods stores are helpful for things like REI and bicycle shops. Fast Food. Rental Cars. Bookstore can interpret as Amazon, there are many uses for the card.

Congrats on the approval!

I now have three cards with US Bank, two Cash+ and an Altitude Reserve. A mortgage, checking (not my primary checking). The credit limits grow.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 35
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

Like a person mentioned above, if you get a approved and havent recieved the card call up and ask for a CLI on the card, they will use the same HP. Once you have the card in hand and attempt your running the risk of a HP for that increase.

I turned a $500 credit line to $7500 in less than 24 hrs from calling and asking for a credit increase. I never mentioned the word "recon/reconsideration" on the limit.

The easiest way to get almost any main US Bank card is by going through the savings/checking gold package option which lets you open a CC also using TU. While filling in the application for the savings/checking account it will give your pre approved card offers WITH THE LIMIT they will give you. 

When I opened a checking I was pre approved for the 2nd US Bank card for $5000 SL. I did this for 2 other people and both got better SL going through the check/savings gold package account opening with a CC than any cold app. 

It has been mentioned a couple of time over the course of almost 2 years on here but it still goes over people's heads.

People shouldn't even cold app for US Bank, if they want the card they should go through the what I mentioned before the Gold Package from US Bank, if you dont want to get a HP and denied then will it hurt to open a savings or checking account with them ? You find out what cards your pre approved for with the limits ? I don't know but that's common sense, easier to close a checking/savings account and not hurt your report than opening a CC just to close it like most would do.

Message 7 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Is there a HP for opening checking/saving and afterward, going for a CC application?

I heard that checking/saving requires a SP but good to know whether CC would be included in that SP or it would be a HP.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 8 of 35
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

The easiest way to get almost any main US Bank card is by going through the savings/checking gold package option which lets you open a CC also using TU. While filling in the application for the savings/checking account it will give your pre approved card offers WITH THE LIMIT they will give you. 

snip

People shouldn't even cold app for US Bank, if they want the card they should go through the what I mentioned before the Gold Package from US Bank, if you dont want to get a HP and denied then will it hurt to open a savings or checking account with them ? You find out what cards your pre approved for with the limits ? I don't know but that's common sense, easier to close a checking/savings account and not hurt your report than opening a CC just to close it like most would do.

Please allow me to be sure I read this correctly:

Is opening the checking account a soft pull?

When you go through the signup process for a Gold Checking account, you will see a list of preapprovals for one or more credit cards, the name/type of that card, and the limits?

Using this method, we delay the HP until we choose which card(s)?

Can you bail out of the checking account application process if you're not happy with the card/limits offered?

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st post Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for this!

I have wanted to apply for the USB Cash+ for several months, however I have more than 5 inquiries within 12 months, and 5 new credit cards this year from aggressive rebuilding/building the new foundation. Also wanted to move to USB for my primary banking, so the Gold Checking package is perfect.

This post needs a firm bump! Or a detailed outline of the process to help others get in with USB.

After reading this, I did exactly what you said, and I was literally approved moments ago for the Gold Package, and the Cash+ VS with $3,000 SL, 18.9%.

Something worth mentioning, when you complete the application online, READ CAREFULLY, as when you get to the screen for the credit card selection, it may only show up to 3 cards, and may not immediately show the card you want. Just below that mini-window is a link says; show more. Click that.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.