Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank does the right thing.

tag
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

US Bank does the right thing.

Today I went out and purchased a new stove at Sears. The old stove died after many years of service.  In the process of paying the clerk had problem with the system and had to re-process the payment. The first transaction was voided out and I have the receipt showing voiding of the first transaction. While processing the transaction the second time the clerk had to call US  Bank to get authoriation code to allow the credit tranaction to process. No sooner than the clerk had the authorization my cell phone rings it was US Bank calling. Thier fraud department was calling me to verify the activity on the account was legitimate or not.  The total amount charged was easily the largest amount had put on that card in one transaction.  I get home and there was a message US Bank  on the answering machine related to the same thing.  To some the call may be annoying but I will gladly take it everytime.  So often we hear about when a company or bank makes a mistake but rarely in reverse. Today gives me  another reason why I  will  be US Bank customer for quite some time to come.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank does the right thing.

Kudos to US Bank!

American Express did the same thing when I purchased a MacBook a few years back and Macy's has done this when I have made a major purchase in their department store (hooray for a new watch!) and I felt (and still feel) exactly the same way as you do.  Smiley Happy

It's awesome to have our creditors watching our backs and being proactive about cutting down on risk and potential fraud.

Less risk and less fraud for them = less passing on the buck to us, their customers.

Message 2 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes that is my experience with USBank is the same... that's why I always have my cell phone on accounts because USBank and Amex have always been great about calling right away and clearing things up instantly.

Message 3 of 17
andre181
Established Contributor

Same thing happened to me at the Apple Store a few years ago using my Citi Forward.

I was buying a new macbook pro for $1999 AND I was out of town, so of course it was suspicious.

I was at the register and it just kept saying "Processing..." 30 seconds later my cell phone rang and it was citi confirming the transaction was legitmate. As soon as I confirmed, the register said "Approved".

It was really cool to see it happen, and like you, I will gladly go though that process if it reduces the chance of  fraud.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I wish they had a branch in New York state. I have no interest in the Harley Davidson card.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 17
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

This is why US Bank has always been my go to bank.  I use them exclusively. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 6 of 17
john398
Senior Contributor

Arent they more protecting themselves as much as protecting you since they would be the one out the money on a fraud credit auth?

Message 7 of 17
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Arent they more protecting themselves as much as protecting you since they would be the one out the money on a fraud credit auth?

No. Banks charge the money back from the merchant, so it's the merchant that loses out on true instances of fraud.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 8 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JMN wrote:

@john398 wrote:

No. Banks charge the money back from the merchant, so it's the merchant that loses out on true instances of fraud.

Interesting, did not know that. I always thought the bank was SOL on fraud.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 17
JMN
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@JMN wrote:

@john398 wrote:

Interesting, did not know that. I always thought the bank was SOL on fraud.

Yeap. It's why some merchants are so very keen on checking ID with credit/debit cards, regardless of what their merchant policy says. Smiley Wink

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.