Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank, good or bad?

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

US Bank, good or bad?

Hi,

This post is for my dad. He is interested in opening US Bank Flexperk Cash Reward with Platinum package to earn 1.5% cashback. He has the mean to waive monthly fee. What's stopping him is mixed review from US Bank. So I'm here to ask your unbiased opinion about US Bank checking account and the card itself.

My dad CR are very good. He has 2 CCs (Citi DPR and Chase Freedom) with total CL of 23K. Never once late, and FAKO/FICO scores are in 800 club. Should he open US Bank he plans to fire Citi DPR.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: US Bank, good or bad?

Hi, I am a current US Bank Flex Perks Cash Rewards Checking account customer and have been since April 2010. I dont have any of their credit cards. Calling their 1-800 number can be a little timely and you might wait a few minutes to talk to a Rep.  The Bill Pay and other services seem okay but the big problem is that you cannot transfer funds to external accounts at this time. The Rep told me not until late 2011 or early 2012. They will be allowing you to transfer funds between two different US Bank accounts anyday now. For such a big bank they are a little slow with some basic account features.  I now primarily use my Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account instead.  Hope some of this info helps!

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 2 of 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@BobbyJ wrote:

Hi, I am a current US Bank Flex Perks Cash Rewards Checking account customer and have been since April 2010. I dont have any of their credit cards.  I have not had any problems 1-800 number.  The Bill Pay and other services seem okay but the big problem is that you cannot transfer funds to external accounts at this time. The Rep told me not until late 2011 or early 2012. They will be allowing you to transfer funds between two different US Bank accounts anyday now. For such a big bank they are a little slow with some basic account features.  I now primarily use my Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account instead.  Hope some of this info helps!

So you can't push money from US Bank, but you can still transfer money in or withdrawl money from other banks right?

Message 3 of 12
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

Yes, for the time being that is correct.

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 4 of 12
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Hi,

This post is for my dad. He is interested in opening US Bank Flexperk Cash Reward with Platinum package to earn 1.5% cashback. He has the mean to waive monthly fee. What's stopping him is mixed review from US Bank. So I'm here to ask your unbiased opinion about US Bank checking account and the card itself.

My dad CR are very good. He has 2 CCs (Citi DPR and Chase Freedom) with total CL of 23K. Never once late, and FAKO/FICO scores are in 800 club. Should he open US Bank he plans to fire Citi DPR.

I am a US Bank customer and IMO they are an excellent bank to deal with.  I know others have had their problems with them but I have not.  I have both the Flexperks and Platinum cards.  Both were obtained with one hard pull at the same time.  They gave me very generous CL's right from the start, so I don't ever need to ask for cl increases.  In addition, I have checking and savings accounts and have had two mortgage loans with them.  I do 100% of my business with them.  They are by far the best bank, or CU, that I have ever dealt with.  Hope this helps.  Good luck to your dad in his decision. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

been a customer for years.  sensible, conservative bank, no problems most of the toime, and I have their credit card as a backup in case I mess up and get overdrawn

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

I won't say whether US Bank is good or bad until I get the outcome of my dispute with them within the next 30 days.  If they change the Kroger 123 cards back to the originial opening date they're good.  If not they bad as a rotten banana!!!

Message 7 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I love USBank... started with a 15k line in 2005 and over the years it went up to 22500 with no hard pulls... I have disputed a $2500 charge with them before and they gave the charge plus $600 worth of interest back after it was finally settled like 4 months later. I have also been given a 3.9 rate on entire account for 9 months just because i was a good customer they said.  They send out very nice BT offers and they don't mind you using your entire CL.

Message 8 of 12
android01
Valued Contributor

I have a "gold" package with them that consists of a checking account, money market savings account, a VISA platinum card, a personal LOC, and an overdraft protection line.  My mortgage is also with them.  I've been a customer for 20 years, and US Bank IMO very much values lengthy relationships and will bend over backwards to help you.  I've been very happy with them.  They aren't as big as a Wells Fargo or BOA, but they aren't a small bank either.  Their customer service is more like a smaller bank - US based, more personable, and more knowledgable about products and services then frontline CSR's as some of the really big guys.     

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 12
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I have a "gold" package with them that consists of a checking account, money market savings account, a VISA platinum card, a personal LOC, and an overdraft protection line.  My mortgage is also with them.  I've been a customer for 20 years, and US Bank IMO very much values lengthy relationships and will bend over backwards to help you.  I've been very happy with them.  They aren't as big as a Wells Fargo or BOA, but they aren't a small bank either.  Their customer service is more like a smaller bank - US based, more personable, and more knowledgable about products and services then frontline CSR's as some of the really big guys.     

+1

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.