Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank, should I go for it?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank, should I go for it?

Apply and recon if needed.

They are an excellent bank that will grow with you.

I would recommend you apply for one of their more basic accounts and after 6 months call in for a CLI.

If you have a branch nearby. You can go in and discuss with them. Your chances are better if you have a relationship with them. One idea is you apply for the Cash+ and just get their counter offer of a basic cash back card.

You can see from my history that in some cases they are rather generous. I have a short history and low score, yet US Bank has hooked me up.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 21
danielodonoll
New Contributor

they are for most of the part.Everybody is diffrent

Good luck again

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 12 of 21
meesh6036
Contributor

I applied for a Fred Meyer Rewards Card (Kroger) backed by USBank and was approved. At the time I only had a 400CL CapOne card. And 2 old paid off baddies under $100, deferred student loans and a small income (I'm a student still). I have NO IDEA why they approved me. The card went to 7-10 day decision, and I thought I was denied. 

Starting Score: Low 500's (2011)
Current Score:My Fico - 661
NFCU cashRewards 17.5k | NFCU GoRewards 14k |Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (USBank) 1k | Best Buy 2.8k | Walmart 1450 | Target 300 | Amazon 2.1k | CareCredit 2.6k | Macy's 1.5k | Macy's Furniture 3.5k | Lowe's 3k | Discover It 1.8k
Message 13 of 21
YahComb
Established Contributor

My cash+ was obtained with a 696, it was my 10th inquiry in the last 12 months, 3rd in the last 6. 16 months total history. No banking relationship. I assume my fairly low financial obligations helped. This was after they started removing the online application links-i don't live near their service area.
EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 14 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

+1

Before the Flexperks bonus card, I didn't know much about US Bank, other than their being based in MN.  Initially, have gotten the card and tried their banking services, I was underwhelmed by their antiquated technology, such as a website that's reminiscent of the dos windows 3.1 days (not sure anyone old enough to remember that here) and no pin # machines at their teller service windows.

However, as time passed, I started to realize they were an excellent bank who takes customer servicing much more to heart than Citi, BofA, and a few other banks I've been using.  They have been responsive, proactive, and actually call me with an update when I open or transfer funds.  

I've got to say that if you have a credit card with auto pay, their "gold checking" is the best value checking account out there.  It's comparable to Citi gold, but without the fees and requirements.  

I think of all the major banks, US Bank's "CC + auto pay + Gold checking" is the best bang for the buck.

Message 15 of 21
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

+1

Before the Flexperks bonus card, I didn't know much about US Bank, other than their being based in MN.  Initially, have gotten the card and tried their banking services, I was underwhelmed by their antiquated technology, such as a website that's reminiscent of the dos windows 3.1 days (not sure anyone old enough to remember that here) and no pin # machines at their teller service windows.

However, as time passed, I started to realize they were an excellent bank who takes customer servicing much more to heart than Citi, BofA, and a few other banks I've been using.  They have been responsive, proactive, and actually call me with an update when I open or transfer funds.  

I've got to say that if you have a credit card with auto pay, their "gold checking" is the best value checking account out there.  It's comparable to Citi gold, but without the fees and requirements.  

I think of all the major banks, US Bank's "CC + auto pay + Gold checking" is the best bang for the buck.

+1 well put

I enjoy the larger bonus from the plat package, but the gold is easiest for the fee waiver.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 16 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

+1

(clears throat...)

I remember the DOS days before Windows, complete with C:\> prompt. Smiley Wink

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

+1

(clears throat...)

Remember BASIC?  Hahaha...really betraying my age here.

Message 18 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

+1

(clears throat...)

Remember BASIC?  Hahaha...really betraying my age here.

My very first program was written in FORTRAN... on punched cards. Smiley Tongue

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 19 of 21
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Punched cards?  Luxury!  We had to toggle it in from the front panel, that was real programming etc etc....

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.