US airway BT

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: US airway BT

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes, 3% fee for BT.

I would not wait. I think you will not get the 0% if you are past the 45 days, full stop. And good luck trying to convince someone at Barclay on day 46.

Sometimes you have to cut short your existing BT offer, and move the funds to take advantage of the latest offer. Keep in mind, even if you were to wait until May to do the BT, your end date of the 0% at Barclay does not change. So you pay this 3% no matter what, in February or May, and the full APR kicks in the same day regardless.

The other option is to leave some funds on the existing May-expiring BT offer, so you aren't moving all the money subject to the 3% fee, you can "pre-move" those May balances now, the balance you were planning to move in May, since you were going to pay the 3% in May anyway on that amount. Then set up this remainder 0% to continue to pay down at the rate necessary to get that to zero as of May expiration. Again, regardless when you move the funds, the Barclay 0% APR has a drop dead expiration.

Only problem is, Citi would apply my payment toward the balance that expire sep 2016 instead of the one expire in may, simply bc the former has higher APR then the latter. Alrite, i will use it to pay my car loan then, tks for all opinions. 

What are the amounts in these balance transfer groups?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 18
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes, 3% fee for BT.

I would not wait. I think you will not get the 0% if you are past the 45 days, full stop. And good luck trying to convince someone at Barclay on day 46.

Sometimes you have to cut short your existing BT offer, and move the funds to take advantage of the latest offer. Keep in mind, even if you were to wait until May to do the BT, your end date of the 0% at Barclay does not change. So you pay this 3% no matter what, in February or May, and the full APR kicks in the same day regardless.

The other option is to leave some funds on the existing May-expiring BT offer, so you aren't moving all the money subject to the 3% fee, you can "pre-move" those May balances now, the balance you were planning to move in May, since you were going to pay the 3% in May anyway on that amount. Then set up this remainder 0% to continue to pay down at the rate necessary to get that to zero as of May expiration. Again, regardless when you move the funds, the Barclay 0% APR has a drop dead expiration.

Only problem is, Citi would apply my payment toward the balance that expire sep 2016 instead of the one expire in may, simply bc the former has higher APR then the latter. Alrite, i will use it to pay my car loan then, tks for all opinions. 

3500 and 3800

Message 12 of 18
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

edit: deleted redundant thought Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes, 3% fee for BT.

3500 and 3800

Ugh. Just enough to be annoying amounts of interest. Too bad.

This is why I'm glad I have 5 cards in three banks with frequent BT offers. Well, I'm glad compared to the alternative of not having 5 cards with BT offers. Juggling balances like this to keep interest cost low and spacing the timing just so requires several accounts to do it right. Just be glad you aren't trying to move $26k Smiley Tongue

This is where a Capital One account with a decent CL comes in handy. No BT fees, so you can use it to park funds for a few weeks while lining up the next target. However, in your situation even CapOne would not help since both tranches are currently on the same card, and you've only got the two tranches you need to work with and they are upside down for accessibility to move. This is also where the folks who tell us not to rely on BT offers gloat, for good reason. Smiley Sad

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 14 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes, 3% fee for BT.

3500 and 3800

This is why I'm glad I have 5 cards in three banks with frequent BT offers. Well, I'm glad compared to the alternative of not having 5 cards with BT offers. Juggling balances like this to keep interest cost low and spacing the timing just so requires several accounts to do it right. Just be glad you aren't trying to move $26k Smiley Tongue

This is where a Capital One account with a decent CL comes in handy. No BT fees, so you can use it to park funds for a few weeks while lining up the next target. However, in your situation even CapOne would not help since both tranches are currently on the same card, and you've only got the two tranches you need to work with and they are upside down for accessibility to move. This is also where the folks who tell us not to rely on BT offers gloat, for good reason. Smiley Sad

Even having multiple card that bombard you with BT offers could end up with no decent offers. I have been receiving BT offers from Chase on all 3 accounts for 2% BT fee and 0% APR for at least a year on a monthly basis...basically they have bombarded me with these offers and today I finally decided to accept but had to find out that it has expired end of January and no new offers on any Chase card. .lol... Figured oh well get the offer from Barclays..was the same before Barclays has just lowered the APR to 10,99% on the Arrival + but with lowering the purchase APR the 2% BT fee offer jacked up to 4% Smiley Sad   ..tja... I guess I will pay in full and wait for the next 1% offer from Cap1 Smiley Happy unless I get any 2% BT fee with 0% APR back on my next billing cycle from any lender.

Message 15 of 18
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Yes, 3% fee for BT.

3500 and 3800

Cap1 has no bt fee? Which card? Although im still holding a grudge against them

Message 16 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

As far as I can tell, all the CapOne cards have no BT fee.

Now, that may not help much if you are blessed with a $300 CL CapOne card, but that's another thread.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

As far as I can tell, all the CapOne cards have no BT fee.

Now, that may not help much if you are blessed with a $300 CL CapOne card, but that's another thread.

You could always go buy a six pack of import beer for $11 and BT it. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.