cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Fed Credit Union Platinum VISA - unwelcome surprise fee!

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: USA Fed Credit Union Platinum VISA - unwelcome surprise fee!

I guess it's not uncommon that financial institutions that are circling the drain, as was USA FCU before Navy absorbed them, are going to have plenty of fees in an attempt to scramble up any cash they can find.

There was a lot of momentum underway when the USA FCU changes to Navy thread was going, due to the very short timeframe to get in. I do remember when posts started appearing about people apping for USA cards, just in case they were going to have problems betting a card directly from Navy after the changeover.

I think it was a reasonable belt-and-suspenders option to get a USA card just in case, but it's not surprising that it's fee-encrusted, I suppose. I'd say that once you find that you can get an actual Navy CC product, and have it in hand, this USA card could be flushed as an interesting insurance option that is now no longer needed.

Yes, there'll be some impact in terms of lowered AAoA and initial new account impact (even if closed), but once the dust settles, it might seem worth it as a souvenier of the opportunity to finally get into Navy FCU. Smiley Happy

(And for anyone new to this thread, you might be like me and continually confusing USA FCU with USAA Federal Savings Bank. USA FCU was a credit union in deep trouble that was taken over by Navy, and there was a lot of excitement here on the forums in the second half of September when people realized that USA FCU members would be grandfathered into Navy, thus finally qualifying them for Navy membership. They had to get in by September 30, as I recall, so there was a lot of excitement and energy at the time. USA FCU has nothing to do with USAA.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USA Fed Credit Union Platinum VISA - unwelcome surprise fee!

IDMD,

I checked my online statement at USAA for both my products: (and then pasted from my account summary page) 

WORLD MASTERCARD:

Regular APR (Annual Percentage Rate) on new transactions
6% (Prime + 2.75%)

USAA REWARDS AMERICAN EXPRESS

Regular APR (Annual Percentage Rate) on new transactions
7.75% (Prime + 4.5%)

HELOC

Annual Percentage Rate3.10% Variable

AFAIK, these are not teaser or promotional rates...they're just what I pay based on my FICO and my relationship with USAA.

They've always been a wonderful company to work with. I've been a USAA member since 1991, and will be 'til the end, I imagine!

You have had those  USAA cards quite a while,,  I app'd for the USAA MC a couple months ago and they gave ae a 10-k CL with a 9.9% Vapr,,  I called and asked for a CLI before activating the card and the CSR politely told me I wasn't eligible for a CLI for 6-months nor would she lower the rate,,  My EX score was 747 at that time,,

I also have a USAA brokerage IRA and checking/savings along with my insurance, So to add a disclaimer,,  YMMV ...

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.