cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

tag
DaveinSC
Contributor

USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

I called USAA this morning to inquire about a credit line increase for my USAA Platinum MC (6.0 APR). I've been a USAA member since 1991, and the last  automatic credit line increase they granted me was in 2006 - up to 20.5K.  After a few minutes (and a hard pull), the rep said she was "unable to grant me an increase", and was unable to give me a reason why. She stated that I'd be getting a letter in the mail in 7-10 days, blah blah blah.  I've never been denied credit, or a credit increase, and this got me concerned. I checked my TU FICO, and I'm standing solidly at 768; pretty good, in my opinion. Later today, I was pumping gas at Sam's club, and I noticed the Navy Federal branch next door.  In addition to checking and savings accounts, I also have a NFCU Platinum Visa (15K@ 7.99 APR), and I've never had a limit increase from them. So I walked in and spoke to a customer service rep.

She not only granted me a 10K increase( to 25K), but PC'd me (without a credit pull)  to their "Signature Flagship Rewards" Visa.  There's a modest annual fee of $49.00, and my interest rate went from 7.99 to 9.99 APR.  Since I PIF every month, that's not a worry. And, I earn reward points, which NFCU's Platinum product does not offer.  I do still want to find out what's going on with USAA, but, since there's a branch of NFCU in Columbia, I may slowly transition some of my USAA accounts over to NFCU.  It's nice to do business with someone face-to-face,a nd the rep took the time to find out what credit product would best meet my needs, and granted me the increase that I was looking for.

EQ: 850 (01/2018)
TU: 830 (1/2018)
EXP: 825 (06/2018)
USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

I have had an excellent experience with NFCU...

and a not so excellent experience with USAA...

IMHO, NFCU is easier to work with, and they can usually give you what you need over the phone.  I have moved all of my banking over to them Smiley Very Happy Happily

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 23
Elcid89
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I have had an excellent experience with NFCU...

and a not so excellent experience with USAA...

IMHO, NFCU is easier to work with, and they can usually give you what you need over the phone.  I have moved all of my banking over to them Smiley Very Happy Happily

+1

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 3 of 23
C7LT1
New Contributor

I have been with USAA for almost 7 years and it has been great. 

I just started a relationship with NFCU and Penfed and so far it has been great too.

IMO USAA shines with it comes to range of products, their website, easy of use, and filing claims. Their is website is simply amazing and there are always adding new features. The only thing I can not do is make a cash deposit or talk to someone in person. Everything else can be done online. I also have access to all of my account NCFU, Penfed, Wellsfargo and USAA on one page.

Insurance, I love their claims process which is hassle free. Twice I had to use it once when a airport worker stole my laptop and when someone rearend my wife. The laptop was simple I just upload a picture of the box as proof of purchase and in 3 days the money was in my account. For the car all I had to do was give the police report number and drop the car off a shop of my choice and pickup my rental. 25 days later my wife car was better than before. I will admit that I have thought about switching to Gieco be it is a lot cheap but I am scaried the rates will increase after the 1st term and I don't think the claims process will be a hassle free. All thinks considered I will keep USAA.

This feel you on the CLI increase and why you went to NFCU. I will be interested as to why USAA didn't give you a CLI. LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET THE LETTER.

In the garden until June 2018

Message 4 of 23
Alaskagurl
New Contributor

I had been with USAA for years before moving all of my accounts to NFCU. I was being overcharged on everything from homeowners insurance to auto insurance... I think NFCU is more LOYAL to all Service members and goes above and beyond for ALL members! NFCU is # 1.... When NAVY says they care about their members they mean it....

Message 5 of 23
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Alaskagurl wrote:

I had been with USAA for years before moving all of my accounts to NFCU. I was being overcharged on everything from homeowners insurance to auto insurance... I think NFCU is more LOYAL to all Service members and goes above and beyond for ALL members! NFCU is # 1.... When NAVY says they care about their members they mean it....

+1

However, their insurance seems to be YMMV.  I would take USAA's insurance over another company.  They seem to be the best and the cheapest.  Although they did just raise my rates again for no reason, their rates are good.

Now their banking is another thing.  Their checking and savings doesn't do it for me.  NFCU beats USAA.  

Message 6 of 23
jbunton444
Valued Member

I've been with USAA for a long while now, but got rejected, rejected, rejected, and rejected over and over.  I had some bad things on my credit, especially on my join date of 11/2010... been improving.  At that time, however, I only had Barclay's iTunes Visa with $250.00 -- I"ve grown a bit... so this web site does help.

But, Discover IT and USAA are my two majors for the year.  I must wait for American Express until my hits of the last 9 inquiries fall off in a year.  Alas, while I probably wouldn't want American Express as an everyday card... if I read correctly, it has a nice iPhone insurance program... and Best Buy's only covers so much.

Josh

Gardening since 6-28-2013
Barclay's iTunes: $3,500 | Travelocity Amex $3,350.00 | USAA $7,000.00 | Chase Freedom: $2,000.00 | Discover IT $1,000.00 | NFCU cashRewards Visa $22,500.00 | NavCheck $12,500.00 | USAA $7,000.00 | JCP $3,000.00 | Macy's $2,200.00 | Sam's Club $1,100.00 | Care Credit: $3,300.00 | Carson's $5,250.00 | Wal*Mart $1,500.00 | Various others... can't remember most store cards --- Long journey to HERE -- keep up the good fight!
Message 7 of 23
thrillege
Valued Member

Have you had any success at getting USAA to lower their APR? I lke them and they've given me good credit increases. But the rate is so high.

Message 8 of 23
Alaskagurl
New Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Alaskagurl wrote:

+1

However, their insurance seems to be YMMV.  I would take USAA's insurance over another company.  They seem to be the best and the cheapest.  Although they did just raise my rates again for no reason, their rates are good.

Now their banking is another thing.  Their checking and savings doesn't do it for me.  NFCU beats USAA.  

I had the Insurance products for years and thought the same about the price, until I ran other quotes and found out the hard way... I won't make that mistake again! 

Message 9 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

CONGRATS on your increase!!! Oh well for USAA their loss!! Never been a fan of them anyway.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.