cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

tag
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

Congrats!! I'm active duty and many of my battle buddies have USAA out of default. They really don't know there are other organizations like NFCU. I have nothing but love for NFCU, and will be moving the rest of my accts to them in the next month. USAA lost my business on renter's ins/auto ins to state farm last month. saving over $100/mo on that end. They have great customer service and some decent products, but speaking to someone in person every now and then is nice too.

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 11 of 23
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Alaskagurl wrote:

I had been with USAA for years before moving all of my accounts to NFCU. I was being overcharged on everything from homeowners insurance to auto insurance... I think NFCU is more LOYAL to all Service members and goes above and beyond for ALL members! NFCU is # 1.... When NAVY says they care about their members they mean it....

+1

However, their insurance seems to be YMMV.  I would take USAA's insurance over another company.  They seem to be the best and the cheapest.  Although they did just raise my rates again for no reason, their rates are good.

Now their banking is another thing.  Their checking and savings doesn't do it for me.  NFCU beats USAA.  

I would not I had the worst experience of my life with USAA insurance.  Which prompted me to change to Geico, I didn't realize how much I was getting overcharged. I will save $450 the first year alone. I'm done with USAA. NFCU, at least for me has been the way better company. 

Edit: just looked at my old USAA acccount. My new payments are actually closer to 550 less than my old USAA payments $155 for six months compared to $425. Also USAA took 2 1/2 months to refund my prorated portion of my insurance coverage

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 12 of 23
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@thrillege wrote:

Have you had any success at getting USAA to lower their APR? I lke them and they've given me good credit increases. But the rate is so high.

Without HPs? DO they give auto CLI? The customer service lady I talked to said they didn't.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 13 of 23
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

They seem to be YMMV on insurance becuase my coworker had said the same thing.  But for me and a few others I know they seem to be good rates.  best rates, idk..but at least good and beating others.

Message 14 of 23
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

It's definitely a YMMV thing...I switched my insurance from geico to usaa because usaa was able to save me a substantial amount of money, but primarily bank with NFCU.
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 15 of 23
100down0monthly
New Contributor

NFCU does it right!   I opened a checking/savings with them last Friday.  On Monday a rep called and got me logged in (didn't have info yet) and showed me around the site.  During the call, we got disconnected, and she called me back right away.  After the call, all doubt I had about making them my primary bank is gone.  365/24/7 customer service rocks!  She also mentioned my check card was already mailed.

In contrast, the only calls I've gotten from WF have been to sell me a product.  pfft.  3 weeks ago I apped for a savings at DCU...and after sending the info they have since requested, still haven't received my welcome email yet....3 weeks!!!  Seriously?

Message 16 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

USAA lost my business years ago- granted that was when deposits had to be mailed in Smiley Sad but their Cust service drove me to NFCU and DCU. Haven't looked back since.
Message 17 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@100down0monthly wrote:

NFCU does it right!   I opened a checking/savings with them last Friday.  On Monday a rep called and got me logged in (didn't have info yet) and showed me around the site.  During the call, we got disconnected, and she called me back right away.  After the call, all doubt I had about making them my primary bank is gone.  365/24/7 customer service rocks!  She also mentioned my check card was already mailed.

In contrast, the only calls I've gotten from WF have been to sell me a product.  pfft.  3 weeks ago I apped for a savings at DCU...and after sending the info they have since requested, still haven't received my welcome email yet....3 weeks!!!  Seriously?

I absolutely love the fact that I can call NFCU 24/7 and speak to a rep...  I have transferred all of my banking to NFCU and I have no complaints at all Smiley Very Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 18 of 23
DaveinSC
Contributor

I received the "Dear John" letter from USAA yesterday regarding my CLI declination on my USAA Platinum MC account.  Reasons (on EQUIFAX HP) listed are:

~Time since most recent account opening is too short (that would be 1 YEAR AGO, when I opened an Ameriprise Gold Mastercard acc't...hmmm)

~Amount owed on revolving accounts is too high ( according to most recent TU report, my util is 13 %...again, hmmm..)

~Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving accounts (my highest balance is on THIS CARD; $8,000 on a $20,500.00 limit, everything else is PIF)

~Maximum liability extended on existing account (I read that as $20,500.00 is ALL WE'RE GONNA GIVE YOU, SO DON'T ASK FOR MORE)

The letter also states:  Your credit score is 796 on a scale of 300-850.  We used your credit score in helping us make our decision. The letter went on to indicate that I had "too many accounts with balances".  Yeah, I do have several PIF balances that hadn't indicated that they had been paid, thanks to real time credit reporting.

My AMEX Unicorn card has a balance from some plane tickets...PIF this week

My partner's Wells-Fargo OD line of credit "annual fee" of $25.00 hadn't been auto paid (PIF)  yet (I'm on his checking acc't)

The aforementioned Ameriprise account is used to pay my car insurance...PIF this week ($70.00)

So, yeah...at that second in time, it looks like I have balances on several accounts.  But they all PIF LATER IN THE MONTH.

Oh well, c'est la vie.  I also received my NFCU Flagship Rewards Signature card in the mail yesterday. They were kind enough to increase my credit limit (after my declination from USAA) from 15K to 25K. The APR is 9.65% APR; the highest APR I have.  But,they took a chance on me, and made me a happy customer.  So, I'm going to put the USAA card in the sock drawer for awhile and let the balance come down..It's at 6% APR, and I'm paying it down a couple hundred a month.  I'll keep the dark green NFCU beauty (it's not black, curiously enough; I thought it was) in my wallet for some occasional exercise.  I'll also look into transitioning some accounts over to NFCU from USAA.

EQ: 850 (01/2018)
TU: 830 (1/2018)
EXP: 825 (06/2018)
USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 19 of 23
lovemybabiesx2
Valued Member

I app'd for a CC through USAA- big FAT - NO NO NO- then offered me a secured card...Apped for NFCU two days ago and APPROVED for $3,000!  Totally moving my stuff from USAA to Navy Fed immediately!!!!  I have been with USAA since 04 when my husband joined the service, I have two CD accts with them, checking and savings, insurance for all three vehicles we own and a secured credit card already (which they wont graduate to an unsecured card)!!! told me to app for new card, did that and still got DENIED!-  Not a happy camper...I figured I "might" get a %500-$1,000 with NFCU, if i was lucky...I have had a check and savings with them for 1 year with only sporadic deposits made here and there due to using USAA so consistently.  Total shock today to get that approval but makes me considerably ticked at USAA =(

Equifax: 470 ( Lender 7/11) 548 (USAA-7/10/13

Experian: 493 (Lender 7/11) ) 588-USAA 7/10/13

TU: starting- 461 (Lender 7/11), 553-USAA 7/10/13- 647 (Walmart 7/15/13)
Vantage Score: 678
GOAL: FICO 650-690 by 12/2013
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.