Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA - 0% Transfer for 12 months

tag
texamel
Valued Member

USAA - 0% Transfer for 12 months

I've been a USAA member for 30 years and have 3 credit cards with them, MC, Visa and AMEX with limits over $10,000 on each and utilization below 10%.  My interest rates are at 13.9% and I wanted to get a lower interest rate so I called to see what they could do.  The representative told me that in order to get a lower interest rate I would have to apply for another card.  I told her I didn't want another card just a lower interest rate and she told me that was the only way to get one (which seems to be weird.  Has anyone heard of this policy?).  So, I let a couple of weeks pass by and decided to look on the website and I saw an invitation for $0% interest for 12 months.  I have a Capital One card with a balance of about $2,800 with a 18% interest that I have been paying down for the last two years so I thought I would try and see if I could get another card and just transfer the Cap 1 balance.    So I applied and was offered a card with $500 and 9.99 interest rate (my thinking was that because I had the other 3 cards the limit was low).  Well, that wasn't going to work with my plan so I called and talked to them, told them what I was trying to do and they raised my limit to $5000.  So, I've already put into the works to have the Cap 1 balance transferred.  My question is, I have a couple of store cards (too tempting when they give you discount to open - I know dumb if you can't pay them off immediately) with small balances and I was thinking was transferring those amounts to that new card which will bring the utilization on that card to about 90%.  Do you think that will hurt my fico score if I do that or is the utilization score calculated on your enitre debt vs. credit limit? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
teddybearkelli1
Contributor

Re: USAA - 0% Transfer for 12 months

Bump
FICO scores: 790 (EQ) 786 (EX) 796 (TU) |
My Wallet:NFCU CR Visa 24k, AMEX Delta Gd 18k, Walmart Discvr 12k, USAA Plat RA MC 13k, BECU Visa 13k, NFCU NR MC 10k, Sams Discvr 10k, Sportsmans Visa 11.5k, WF Plat Visa 10k, Paypal Extra MC 10k, BofA Fraternity MC 14k, Sams Credit 10k, USAA World MC 9k, Military Star 8.2k |BOA CR 8k |AMEX Evrdy 8k |Lowes 7.3k | Chase Military Star MC 16k, JCPenneys MC 7k, Discover IT 5k , Gymboree Visa 4.5k, Sears MC 4k, TJX MC 3.5k, ToysRUS MC 5k, Chase Amazon Visa 3k, Home Depot 3k, Citibank Simplicity 6.5k, Fred Meyers Visa 2.5k, Target 2k, Kohls 2k, ITunes Visa 5k, Macys 2k, Vystar CU Visa 5k
Message 2 of 3
coachmiff
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA - 0% Transfer for 12 months

keep your utilzation at 89% or lower on each card--remeber usaa charges a 3% bt fee or 200 total which ever is less for EACH transfer!

Navy Siggy Cash Rewards 25K , Navy plat visa 25k,navy go 25k, Navy Check 15K, , USAA Am Exp 18K, USAA MC Rate Advantage 18K, Discover IT 18.5K, PayPal Extras MC 7.5K, Chase Military Star MC 2.5K, Military Star 8.05k, Wallmart discover 7.5k, Amex bce 25k,Boa cash rewards25k, southwest chase 4k, nasa cr 30k,nasa rew 5k,barc rewards 25k=279k+ scores 750 across the board
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.