Did you mean: 

USAA 2.5% Targeted Offer [UPDATE MARCH 2017]

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA 2.5% Targeted Offer

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.  Are USAA cards only available to military and affiliated?  Is there any way for an average Joe to get a card from them?

Parent/Grandparent(conditional)/Spouse are your only options other than enlisting. For a time USAA tried public banking services (no credit) but they quickly discontinued the program.

This is interesting that you mention that a grandparent can conditionally sponsor a grandchild... I've never read that before, but I hope you're right - that would actually be the answer to my own membership issues.   Smiley Happy

I'll be checking into that in the upcoming weeks.  Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.  Are USAA cards only available to military and affiliated?  Is there any way for an average Joe to get a card from them?

Parent/Grandparent(conditional)/Spouse are your only options other than enlisting. For a time USAA tried public banking services (no credit) but they quickly discontinued the program.

This is interesting that you mention that a grandparent can conditionally sponsor a grandchild... I've never read that before, but I hope you're right - that would actually be the answer to my own membership issues.   Smiley Happy

I am with USAA thanks to my grandfather. Neither I nor my parents were military. The conditions aren't very clear but it may be due to the fact my grandfather was career and still in the service when my father obtained a membership account/number for me at a young age. Iirc I was told, a long while back so my memory is hazy, that if it had been a few years later I wouldn't have been eligible. Still worth looking into for yourself, good luck! I'm curious and hopeful for your success there. :-)

Message 42 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

No new info, but I saw this picture of it on an unrelated post on their Facebook page. Screenshot_2016-10-29-00-15-49-1.png

Message 43 of 332
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

I am with USAA thanks to my grandfather. Neither I nor my parents were military. The conditions aren't very clear but it may be due to the fact my grandfather was career and still in the service when my father obtained a membership account/number for me at a young age. Iirc I was told, a long while back so my memory is hazy, that if it had been a few years later I wouldn't have been eligible. Still worth looking into for yourself, good luck! I'm curious and hopeful for your success there. :-)

Thanks for the update.  Since you mention that it was your father who obtained your membership number, I suspect that means your father is a member as well and that's how you're eligible (he couldn't have spoken with them to get you a number otherwise).  Your mention that your grandfather was career military also leads me to think that at some point he likely got your dad a membership (like your dad did for you).  If you're curious, you can see what family members USAA associates you with by looking at your USAA online profile.  Smiley Wink

(Note that I genuinely wish that a grandparent could be used... as I mentioned, it would help me out personally.)

I'll also add that I was able to get a credit card as well as a bank account without being military, so for the handful of 'grandfathered' people like myself that won't matter - you can get credit, just not insurance.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 44 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh, I've been checking every day and today it popped up. It wouldn't let me take a screenshot, but it said,

"Exclusive Online-Only Pilot: Available in LA, NM, KS and ID"

My USAA Cash Rewards is my oldest card and (until NFCU) was my highest credit limit. We also do all of our banking and insurance through them, so I don't know if these contributed, but... I was instant approved for $15,000!! I'm so excited right now! So if you're in those states check again, because I checked earlier this morning and it wasn't there.
Message 45 of 332
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ahh, I've been checking every day and today it popped up. It wouldn't let me take a screenshot, but it said,

My USAA Cash Rewards is my oldest card and (until NFCU) was my highest credit limit. We also do all of our banking and insurance through them, so I don't know if these contributed, but... I was instant approved for $15,000!! I'm so excited right now! So if you're in those states check again, because I checked earlier this morning and it wasn't there.

Finally... now we know where we need to move to get this offer!  (LOL)  Smiley Tongue

Joking aside, thanks for sharing with us here, and hopefully soon they'll open it up to the rest of us!  <fingers crossed>  Smiley Very Happy

Oh, and congrats on that sweet, sweet approval!  screamer.gif

Message 46 of 332
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

I am wondering about the following.  Grandchild in USNavy.  Can that grandchild sponsor siblings, mother/father, grandmothers/grandfathers for full membership in USAA?

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 47 of 332
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I am wondering about the following.  Grandchild in USNavy.  Can that grandchild sponsor siblings, mother/father, grandmothers/grandfathers for full membership in USAA?

Unfortunately, no.  Smiley Sad

With USAA you can only 'inherit' membership from a parent or spouse... siblings, grandparents, and even child to parent doesn't work.

I'm still hoping that someday they might relax on this a bit.

Message 48 of 332
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wonder why those states?  Seems rather random (plus those states aren't highly populated, so you won't have much of a pilot).

Message 49 of 332
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

Unfortunately, no.  Smiley Sad

With USAA you can only 'inherit' membership from a parent or spouse... siblings, grandparents, and even child to parent doesn't work.

I'm still hoping that someday they might relax on this a bit.

Thanks, Uncle B.  That is backward thinking on the part of USAA IMO.  If have grandchildren who have a sibling on active duty in the USNavy who is a member of USAA.  Siblings were hoping to become members via her.  Guess they can forget that.  She did sponsor them for membership in NFCU and they like it so much, they wanted USAA, tool

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 50 of 332
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.