USAA 2.5% Targeted Offer [UPDATE MARCH 2017]

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA 2.5% Targeted Offer

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@IncrsCreditScore wrote:

I am wondering about the following.  Grandchild in USNavy.  Can that grandchild sponsor siblings, mother/father, grandmothers/grandfathers for full membership in USAA?

Unfortunately, no.  Smiley Sad

With USAA you can only 'inherit' membership from a parent or spouse... siblings, grandparents, and even child to parent doesn't work.

I'm still hoping that someday they might relax on this a bit.

Thanks, Uncle B.  That is backward thinking on the part of USAA IMO.  If have grandchildren who have a sibling on active duty in the USNavy who is a member of USAA.  Siblings were hoping to become members via her.  Guess they can forget that.  She did sponsor them for membership in NFCU and they like it so much, they wanted USAA, tool

+1

I have two brothers who both have USAA insurance and my grandfather had USAA insurance, yet I can't get insurance with them myself until my father does so.  I don't like the feeling of my own "relationship" with a company depending on the actions of someone else, but in this case it does.  (Note that unlike NFCU my father being insurance eligible isn't good enough... he actually has to purchase a policy before I am eligible to purchase one myself.)  Smiley Frustrated

It seems a bit arbitrary to me... since they are known to change the "rules" from time-to-time I'm sticking around with the hopes that someday I might be insurance eligible (not to mention I really like their banking, insurance issues aside).  At least I was able to 'get in' on the banking back when it was open to everybody.

I also find it strange that of the states that are in the pilot with their new card Texas isn't included, since that's where their HQ is.

Like their membership criteria, I guess they have their reasons.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 51 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB as you well know most lenders change their rules on a somewhat arbitrary basis and one day we are not eligible and the next day we are. USAA did not allow enlisted members in to their bank that were honorably dischared until September 2009. They have had two levels (probably more now) of membership that was full (insurance eligible) and limited where the insurance option is not open. As you mentioned, keep your ear to the rail as they seem to be a moving target. I was not eligible until one of the myfico members notified me the door had opened in 2009. This board seems a source of the unbelievable but true information!

Message 52 of 332
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Wife and I both had the offer available from USAA on our mobile apps. Both declined and offered secured cards. We already have 2 USAA cards, 1 at $23K and one at $26K with no balance on either.

Both of our scores are 750+ but we do have a fair number of inquiries.

Message 53 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card should now be available to the U.S. Residents living in LA/NM/KS & ID now. 

Message 54 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Limitless Credit Card 2.5% Back

Does anyone know if I can use the same HP when I apply to this card to CLI my other USAA cashback Amex?  A great 2 for 1 situation would be ideal Smiley Happy

Message 55 of 332
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if I can use the same HP when I apply to this card to CLI my other USAA cashback Amex?  A great 2 for 1 situation would be ideal Smiley Happy

As far as I know it will be a HP for each, but if they are identical the credit bureau might merge them into one anyway (they way it happens for Amex). 

For example, if one of the inquiries is from USAA and the other from USAA FSB they will both show up... it's going to be YMMV.

Message 56 of 332
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Wife and I both received our denial letters from USAA. They stated we were at maximum credit exposure with USAA. They did a HP for each of us but there was no score listed in the letter (space for the score but none listed). We are both north of 770.

Data points ($50,000 in USAA credit cards, 100% available)(10+ INQ on reports)(Multiple new accounts last year, including a CLI on USAA Cash Rewards a couple months ago).

Message 57 of 332
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I thought 50k was max.. correct? Hope I get this offer down the road. Still have $25k to go before I hit the wall.
Message 58 of 332
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Appleman wrote:

Wife and I both received our denial letters from USAA. They stated we were at maximum credit exposure with USAA. They did a HP for each of us but there was no score listed in the letter (space for the score but none listed). We are both north of 770.

Data points ($50,000 in USAA credit cards, 100% available)(10+ INQ on reports)(Multiple new accounts last year, including a CLI on USAA Cash Rewards a couple months ago).

While it's always lousy to be turned down I can't think of a more desirable reason for it to happen... in other words, it's their way of saying, "it's not you, it's us...". 

I would also imagine that if you were to voluntarily lower your exposure with them and reapply the results might be quite different...  Smiley Wink

In any case, thanks for sharing with us here... it sounds like the underwriting for this card isn't any more exceptional than their other rewards cards (other than being at max exposure, of course). 

I'm going to keep my apps to a minimum with the hopes of next year when they open this one up they might consider me.  My income is quite modest so I'm likely to be borderline in any case since I already have a Visa with them at $8.4k, but I would be more than willing to close it to get this card instead. 

If only PCs were allowed!  Smiley Frustrated

Message 59 of 332
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA 2.5% Targeted Offer [UPDATE NOV 2016]

Applications just opened to PA, SC, and WA residents some time today. Wasn't there this morning but was just now. Applied and approved for $25k.
Message 60 of 332
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.