Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA 5% on gasoline

tag
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: USAA 5% on gasoline

The first card I ever got was the normal USAA amex cash back card.  I called a few minutes ago to see if they could upgrade the card and the person on the phone said that I would just have to apply for it like normal and keep the old card, too.  I don't really want another credit card, I have 3 now, and was hoping to keep the old account open but just upgraded to the new card.

The girl on the phone didn't really seem to know what I was talking about.  I'm wondering if you think I should maybe call again?  I thought this was kind of a common thing.  Same issuer, same type of card (AMEX), and upgrade isn't possible?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Message 11 of 19
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

@digitek wrote:

The first card I ever got was the normal USAA amex cash back card.  I called a few minutes ago to see if they could upgrade the card and the person on the phone said that I would just have to apply for it like normal and keep the old card, too.  I don't really want another credit card, I have 3 now, and was hoping to keep the old account open but just upgraded to the new card.

The girl on the phone didn't really seem to know what I was talking about.  I'm wondering if you think I should maybe call again?  I thought this was kind of a common thing.  Same issuer, same type of card (AMEX), and upgrade isn't possible?

Some issuers do allow product changes, but some do not.  I really don't know USAA's stance on it...sorry I'm no help with that.  Hopefully someone who does know will chime in on it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is a USAA AmEX and it is a 5/2/1 card
Gas/groceries/Everything else for sure....for the most part it's my GAS only card.

Got approved for 3 cards on one pull, when I opened my USAA membership I'm February
Visa sight
Rate Advantage Visa and the
AmEx

The AmEx has the best cash back rewards but also the highest % rate and lowest CL (2500) of the 3... in fairness it was the 3rd of 3 apps....
Had it been the 1st app run may have been different, who knows?
Message 13 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@LuckyBird wrote:

@digitek wrote:

Some issuers do allow product changes, but some do not.  I really don't know USAA's stance on it...sorry I'm no help with that.  Hopefully someone who does know will chime in on it.

+1

Many people have found getting a PC to be elusive with USAA, but I have read of at least one person on here a few months back having luck with a PC, although in that member's case the card remained on the same network (Visa) and just changed to a different rewards program. 

The member was also able to get the APR lowered, which is also elusive for most people with USAA (they are seemingly second only to Chase and Capital One with the static APRs), so it might have been either a 'fluke' or a really knowledgeable CSR... there's no way to know for sure.

Message 14 of 19
digitek
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected that they were able to change the rewards because when I called them earlier this year they mentioned something about changes being suspended while they switched from Mastercard to Visa. It was mentioned in passing when getting my wife a credit card.

It would be the same card (AMEX) at the same company, and I'm not concerned with lowering the APR (I pay in full each month).

Think I might have to give them another call Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Mine is a USAA AmEX and it is a 5/2/1 card
Gas/groceries/Everything else for sure....for the most part it's my GAS only card.

Got approved for 3 cards on one pull, when I opened my USAA membership I'm February
Visa sight
Rate Advantage Visa and the
AmEx

The AmEx has the best cash back rewards but also the highest % rate and lowest CL (2500) of the 3... in fairness it was the 3rd of 3 apps....
Had it been the 1st app run may have been different, who knows?

Wow you went for the trio! Nice.

Message 16 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
I don't have that one but PenFed and Fort Knox FCU offer a card that gives 5% unlimited year round.

Yes, the Penfed Cash Rewards will give unlimited 5% (if you meet a few conditions) and the Penfed Plat Rewards gives unlimited 5 points per $ which is about 4.15%

Amex OBC also gives 5% on gas, up to a spend of $50K per year (combined with grocery and drug store) once you meet the yearly threshold

Message 17 of 19
digitek
Established Contributor

Yeah so I called again and got someone who sounded like they knew what was going on and she said she was 100% sure that they don't do Product Changes for this particular AMEX card.  Guess I'll figure something out.

I have the USAA Preferred Cash Rewards Signature Visa, 0% Foreign Transaction fee and 1.5% unlimited cash back.  I also have the Citi Double Cash World Elite Mastercard, 2% unlimited cash back.  Was hoping to get one just for groceries/gas.

My wife has the AMEX Blue cash preferred and we spend about $750 a month on groceries.  Thats about 9000 a year, not sure if the $95 annual fee for the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred would be worth it for me.  Guess it would still save us about $50 or so (really its about $85 but I could get 2% already so its just saving me 4% of 3000).  Not really sure if the regular Blue Cash would be worth it either (I can already get 2% cash back on gas with Citi DC), and only save 1% on about 3000 in groceries a year (about $30).

Actually pretty sure I'm not going to worry about the Product Change or an AMEX.  I was just reading about what they consider gas stations.  I work from home 4 days a week and only fill up about twice a month, and when I do its at a Kroger that sells gas and I get .10 off each gallon for each $100 spent on groceries at Kroger.  Each time I fill up its about .40 cents off, which is about 14% off.  Turns out that AMEX does not consider this a gas station.

This has turned out to be way more complicated than I expected...

Message 18 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@digitek wrote:

Yeah so I called again and got someone who sounded like they knew what was going on and she said she was 100% sure that they don't do Product Changes for this particular AMEX card.  Guess I'll figure something out.

I have the USAA Preferred Cash Rewards Signature Visa, 0% Foreign Transaction fee and 1.5% unlimited cash back.  I also have the Citi Double Cash World Elite Mastercard, 2% unlimited cash back.  Was hoping to get one just for groceries/gas.

My wife has the AMEX Blue cash preferred and we spend about $750 a month on groceries.  Thats about 9000 a year, not sure if the $95 annual fee for the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred would be worth it for me.  Guess it would still save us about $50 or so (really its about $85 but I could get 2% already so its just saving me 4% of 3000).  Not really sure if the regular Blue Cash would be worth it either (I can already get 2% cash back on gas with Citi DC), and only save 1% on about 3000 in groceries a year (about $30).

Actually pretty sure I'm not going to worry about the Product Change or an AMEX.  I was just reading about what they consider gas stations.  I work from home 4 days a week and only fill up about twice a month, and when I do its at a Kroger that sells gas and I get .10 off each gallon for each $100 spent on groceries at Kroger.  Each time I fill up its about .40 cents off, which is about 14% off.  Turns out that AMEX does not consider this a gas station.

This has turned out to be way more complicated than I expected...

I agree, nothing is as simple as it once was.  Smiley Frustrated

You're exactly right about Kroger being excluded for gas on Amex... it was one of the first 'test' purchases I made when I got my BCP, and I was disappointed to find out the documentation was very precise - they definitely didn't overlook it.  On the other hand, on my Sam's Club MasterCard Kroger is also listed as an 'exclusion' yet I do get 5% back off all purchases at the Kroger fuel island (even when I buy a bag of ice it's treated as 'fuel').  I don't know if this is a 'fluke' unique to my Kroger store or is like this everywhere, but if you have a Sam's Club MC it's worth trying out.

If you have grocery expenses at $9000+ per year it sounds like you would do quite well with the BCP as long as your purchases are at an actual 'grocery' store (Kroger, Publix, etc.) and not Wal-Mart or Target SuperCenters.  The break-even point with the BCP over the BCE is now approx. $265/month; if you spend that much or more on groceries you'll earn more cash with the BCP even after you subtract the annual fee (before the AF increase, the 'break even' amount was $210, you might still see that on older threads).  You'll earn 6% on grocery purchases up to $6000, and 1% on grocery purchases after that (of course if you have a BCE as well you might consider putting that last $3k on it, since you would earn 3%, still better than 1%).  Also don't forget the BCP gives you 3% cash back on many of the 'big' stores at the mall (Sears, J.C. Penney's, etc) which can be helpful as well.

I'm sorry you got nowhere with USAA... I was really hoping you would have some new information for us.  In any case, things are always changing, and just because they said 'no' today doesn't mean in the future they won't be more reasonable.  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.