Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA AMEX CASH BACK REWARDS

tag
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

USAA AMEX CASH BACK REWARDS

Hi All,

Can someone clarify this for me if you get 2.25% cash back for gas and groceries.... and I reviewed the terms does that mean if I dont spend the 5,000  i only getback .45%?

USAA Cash Rewards Program Rebate Terms and Conditions

On your billing date each January, we will determine the dollar amount of all the Purchases that posted to your Account during the previous 12 billing cycles (the "Rebate Period"), less any purchase credits, returns or adjustments that are not payments (the "Annual Net Purchases").

As long as your Account remains current, open and in good standing during the entire Rebate Period, we will provide you with a USAA Cash Rewards Rebate on your Annual Net Purchases in the following amounts:

If your annual net purchases are: Your Cash Rewards Rebate will be:

$0 to $5,0000.45% of all Annual Net Purchases
$5,000 to $10,000$22.50 plus 0.85% of Annual Net Purchases over $5,000
$10,000 to $17,000$65 plus 1% of Annual Net Purchases over $10,000
$17,000 or more$135 plus 1.25% of Annual Net Purchases over $17,000

If your Annual Net Purchases equal $25,000 or more and your Account is a USAA Visa Signature account, then your USAA Cash Rewards Rebate will be no less than 1% of your Annual Net Purchases.

At our option, we will issue your USAA Cash Rewards Rebate either as a credit to your Account on your January statement or as a check mailed to the address where we mail your Account statements. All accrued rebates will be forfeited if your Account is closed or becomes past due, over-limit, or otherwise in default at any time.

Also their plus cash back plus amex you earn the following back

Earn 5% cash back (Opens pop-up layer) on your first $3,000 in gas and military base purchases annually on these categories combined.

• Rebates are awarded every January for the purchases made the previous 12 months.'

USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Program Terms and Conditions

1. Earning Your Regular USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Rebates

On your Statement Closing billing date each January, we will determine the dollar amount of all the Eligible Purchases that posted to your USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express account ("Account") during the previous 12 billing cycles (the "Annual Rebate Period"). "Eligible Purchases" are Purchases as defined in the USAA Credit Card Agreement, less Purchase credits and other adjustments that are not payments. Eligible Purchases do not include Balance Transfers, Convenience Checks, other Cash Advances, Finance Charges, or Account Fees, and you do not earn Cashback Plus Rewards on such transactions. You will receive a regular USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Rebate equal to 1% on all your Eligible Purchases made during the Annual Rebate Period (your "Regular Rewards Plus Rebate") subject to the additional terms and conditions below.

2. Earning Your Bonus USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Rebates on Gasoline and Groceries.

On your billing date each January, we will also determine the amount of your Eligible Purchases that are made at Gasoline Stations or Supermarkets during the Annual Rebate Period. Subject to the additional terms and conditions below, you will earn a USAA Cashback Reward Plus Rebate bonus (your "Bonus Rebate") equal to:

• 4% on up to $3,000 per Annual Rebate Period in your annual Eligible Purchases of gasoline made at Gasoline Stations and posted to your Account (this equals an annual Bonus Rebate of up to $120); and;

• 1% on up to $3,000 per Annual Rebate Period in annual Eligible Purchases of groceries made at Supermarkets and posted to your Account (this equals an annual Bonus Rebate of up to $30).

In order to receive a Bonus Rebate for Eligible Purchases at Supermarkets and Gasoline Stations, the merchant must submit your credit card charges under the appropriate merchant or industry category provided by American Express. Even though a merchant or the goods or services it sells may appear to fit in a Supermarket or Gasoline Station category, the merchant or American Express may classify the merchant differently, or the merchant may submit the charge under a different category. Purchases at warehouses, discount stores, department stores or any other non-supermarket/non-gasoline station locations are not eligible for a Bonus Rebate. We do not determine how a merchant or American Express categorizes your Purchases or the merchant. If you feel that a Purchase does not receive the correct USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Rebates, you must contact us so that we may review the Purchase. If we believe there is an error, we will credit your Account accordingly.

3. Receiving Your Regular Rewards Plus and Bonus Rebates.

As long as your Account remains current, open and in good standing during the entire Annual Rebate Period, we will issue your USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Rebate as a credit to your Account on your January Account statement. Alternatively, we may, at our option, mail you a check after your January Statement Closing Date. Any accrued, but not yet paid, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Rebates remain USAA's property and any rights you have to them will be forfeited by you if your Account is or becomes closed, past due, over-limit, or is otherwise in Default at any time, or if you change rewards programs.

4. Additional Limitations

We reserve the right to terminate the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Program or change, delete from, or add to these Terms and Conditions upon 30 days' notice. In such event, any changes, deletions, or additions to these Terms and Conditions will be posted to usaa.com for a period of 30 days, which shall serve as notice to all affected accounts.

This offer is not transferrable. We reserve the right to restrict or deny eligibility for the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Program at any time.

Any capitalized terms used in these Terms and Conditions shall have the meaning described herein or, if not defined herein, then in the USAA Credit Card Agreement.

USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Program is void where prohibited by law. The laws of the State of Nevada govern these Terms and Conditions.

This credit card program is issued by USAA Savings Bank, Member FDIC.

American Express is federally registered service mark of American Express, and is used by the issuer pursuant to a license.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA AMEX CASH BACK REWARDS

Keywords in their terms for that card is up to 2.25%.  Its not a great cash back card.  You'd be better to go for the Plus card that gives you the 5%

Message 2 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keywords in their terms for that card is up to 2.25%.  Its not a great cash back card.  You'd be better to go for the Plus card that gives you the 5%

Oh I see Thanks Irish80. So does that mean i have to make sure that I spend a certain amount or is the 5% not tierd as I think its called.  I see their rewards arent that great. Smiley Sad.  I may not opt to app for another USAA card until they get better rewards.  I guess other than the Salie mae and Chase freedom for gas and groceries I dont see anything else that might fit my needs really the quicksilver is a no nonesense its somethng is better than nothing at all.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh I see Thanks Irish80. So does that mean i have to make sure that I spend a certain amount or is the 5% not tierd as I think its called.  I see their rewards arent that great. Smiley Sad.  I may not opt to app for another USAA card until they get better rewards.  I guess other than the Salie mae and Chase freedom for gas and groceries I dont see anything else that might fit my needs really the quicksilver is a no nonesense its somethng is better than nothing at all.

The 5% on the Plus card is not tiered.  It's a straight 5% so it's definitely their best rewards card.  Nonetheless, and I love USAA, they don't have that great of credit cards.  I think they do it more as an afterthought to their main products, insurance, which are fantastic.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was looking through their new line up recently myself. And I want to remain in business with them since they gave me my first (secured) credit card. My plan was to cancel the secured at the 2 year mark and app for a new card with them, since they don't upgrade. But the rewards are very lackluster compared to all the others out there. I may just have to get a regular CC with them and have it for emergencies, utilization, etc. Which sucks. I love them and wouldn't want to completely put them on the back burner. Phooey.

Message 5 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Irish80 I agree I feel the same way I won't app for that till my credit is stellar make sure I get what I want and not counter offered something else. I love them they have been great and gave me my first card since rebuild so I am loyal

Message 6 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@gurlondrums I feel the same as you do just looking ahead but joking that jumps out at me. I have their unsecured but no cash advance or rewards and I have to keep it 18 months before it's even considered rewards and the visa rewards is the worst... I just use it for small purchases and don't use it but I can't close it. I still love Ussa just don't put all my funds in there just auto insurance and some spending money in checking

Message 7 of 10
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Agree with everyone that USAA tiered rewards are bad.  If you spend exactly $17,000 then you would only get $135 in cash back.  That translate into 0.79% overall cash back.  I used to think it was $135 plus the 1.25% on all rewards (that would be amazing) but found out its the former, not the latter. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 

Just wanted to add: I think when it's time to send my secured card packing, I will apply for the USAA Points Rewards AmEx. It seems like a better card than the cash back one. I'm not a big points fan, but I have little experience with them (IDK, maybe I will LOVE them). It sounds like this would be a better option. You have different options to cash out the points with and it looks like you can cash them out through out the year, unlike the annual thing with the cash back card. There's a Visa and a MC version, but the AmEx gets 2x points on gas/groceries, and the V/MC doesn't. 

Something to consider... Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sparklerd34 

Just wanted to add: I think when it's time to send my secured card packing, I will apply for the USAA Points Rewards AmEx. It seems like a better card than the cash back one. I'm not a big points fan, but I have little experience with them (IDK, maybe I will LOVE them). It sounds like this would be a better option. You have different options to cash out the points with and it looks like you can cash them out through out the year, unlike the annual thing with the cash back card. There's a Visa and a MC version, but the AmEx gets 2x points on gas/groceries, and the V/MC doesn't. 

Something to consider... Smiley Happy

Yes indeed I saw that right now I'm not sure if I'm really sold on the points for my situation.  I'm on a fixed income and waiting for the my finalized divorce where my expenses will be 350 less a month and I got 2 young kids as a single mother trying to save. I did the math for my situation and if I spend 2k on gas and 4 k on groceries I may get 50 dollars back and right now I get more back from my quicksilver. If I traveled I may but don't travel a lot with 2 little ones 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.