zoe15
Established Member

USAA AMEX Denial

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
eparker
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA AMEX Denial

Thats kind of weird.  Normally the CSR are very helpful and informative.  When I called the rep told me everything I needed to do in order to get another card.  I am waiting for my 6 month mark on two cards with them.  He told me the best way to pay, that they look for cards not to be maxed out or close to being maxed out.  I apped for their Amex a couple of months ago and was denied.  But it gave me a counter offer fo a secured one. 

Might want to try and call back and speak to another rep.  I always get someone that is over helpful (which is good).   

Good luck.....

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
zoe15
Established Member

Message 3 of 8
p-
Valued Contributor

@zoe15 wrote:

I just apped for a USAA Amex because I've had a USAA MC for 6 months that I've been using repsonsibly.  I also recently received offers for 0% APR and a pre-approved auto loan under "My Offers."  For this reason, I thought I might be eligible for a second card.  I was denied for "Excessive Obligations," though I only have a $6,000 auto loan, 2 student loans on the IBR repayment plan, and a small amount charged to my 3000 CL MC.  When I called USAA to inquire, the CSR said the best thing to do is to call Equifax to find out what my "Excessive Obligations" might be.  This confuses me because doesn't Equifax simply supply companies with my credit report, and each company makes decisions based on that information.  In other words, wouldn't it be USAA and not Equifax that thinks I have excessive obligations.  When I asked if underwriting could explain my denial, she said she couldn't talk to underwriting and neither could I.  I'm just confused because I feel USAA should be the ones to explain the denial, not the CRA.

Any advice?

The CSR is probably not well versed on how credit works....  I've never seen it myself on USAA, but I assume you might have a chance if you call and ask for a recon or manual review.  

I was denied my first time applying for this card too, but a few months later it popped up on my pre-approved offers tab, so I went for it and got it.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 8
quest208
Frequent Contributor

are you a full or limited member?

id recon it

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 5 of 8
zoe15
Established Member

Message 6 of 8
zoe15
Established Member

Message 7 of 8
zoe15
Established Member

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.