cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA AMEX card for Non-Military - Possible?

tag
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

USAA AMEX card for Non-Military - Possible?

I've heard now that many people have been able to apply for the USAA AMEX card even though they're non-military members.

When I called them last week, I was told that they only offered the AMEX card to full military members.

Chime in if you've been able to get this card and tell us how you managed it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Re: USAA AMEX card for Non-Military - Possible?

I'm curious too since I was only able to get the rewards card.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

I just joined last week and got an approval for their Platinum Mastercard for $15K. I was hoping to get their AMEX card as well. It would be great to have an AMEX card from a lender I can actually trust and rely upon. These days that is pretty tough to find.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thebostonredsox wrote:

I've heard now that many people have been able to apply for the USAA AMEX card even though they're non-military members.

When I called them last week, I was told that they only offered the AMEX card to full military members.

Thanks

Never heard that before.  Could it be the difference is between their AmEx Total Rewards and their AmEx Cash Rewards?

Message 4 of 10
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

Not sure what their reasoning is but that is what I was told over the phone. I've been reading about some people that have applied without first logging onto their account and it worked. If you log-on first it will limit you to the Mastercard only.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thebostonredsox wrote:

Not sure what their reasoning is but that is what I was told over the phone. I've been reading about some people that have applied without first logging onto their account and it worked. If you log-on first it will limit you to the Mastercard only.

That's too bad.  I wonder what their logic is.

Message 6 of 10
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

I think it is a way to continue being exclusive to military members. Although I've now heard fromseveral people saying that they've had no problem applying for the AMEX card. They applied by not signing on to their accounts and clicking on the AMEX apply link.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thebostonredsox wrote:

I think it is a way to continue being exclusive to military members. Although I've now heard fromseveral people saying that they've had no problem applying for the AMEX card. They applied by not signing on to their accounts and clicking on the AMEX apply link.

When you click on the AmEx application link I think it automatically goes to the logon page and you have to either log on or join.

Message 8 of 10
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I have had USAA Amex since 10.2009, have never been in American military forces, highly doubt that my foreign military experience was counted at the time of approval.

@thebostonredsox wrote:

Thanks

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 9 of 10
mark925
New Contributor

@thebostonredsox wrote:

I applied for it the other night after logging in and got approved.  Once you are logged in, it will only show you the Mastercard but do a search for "Amex" on the site and click the first link in the results to apply for it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.