Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA AMEX prescreen with USAA Visa in wallet

tag
PoorPeatree
Valued Member

USAA AMEX prescreen with USAA Visa in wallet

Hello all!

I've received a pre approved offer for a USAA Amex Credit card (not charge card). In my wallet i have a USAA Visa Sig, and I also have a AMEX PRGold directly from american express. I don't necessarily need a new CC, but if i can use it to combine limits into my Visa Sig, that would be a nice option. 

Is that possible? i assume you cannot combine Amex and Visa CLs. If not, would it make sense to have just an extra card with USAA? It has 0% intro APR for 15 months, which is nice. 

thanks everyone and have the best day Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA AMEX prescreen with USAA Visa in wallet

@PoorPeatree wrote:

Hello all!

I've received a pre approved offer for a USAA Amex Credit card (not charge card). In my wallet i have a USAA Visa Sig, and I also have a AMEX PRGold directly from american express. I don't necessarily need a new CC, but if i can use it to combine limits into my Visa Sig, that would be a nice option. 

Is that possible? i assume you cannot combine Amex and Visa CLs. If not, would it make sense to have just an extra card with USAA? It has 0% intro APR for 15 months, which is nice. 

thanks everyone and have the best day Smiley Happy

Congrats on the pre-approved offer. USAA does not allow you to combine limits or even product change the cards. If you do not need another card then you should not apply for it. Is this the Amex that gives cash back? If you could use 5% cash back on gas (up to $3K a year) and 2% cash back on groceries (up to $3K per year) then it could be a good way to compliment your other cash back cards (if you have any). Or if the intro 0% APR works for you then that could be another reason to apply. Just know that you cannot PC this card or combine its limit with your Visa later on down the road. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated above. USAA will not allot the credit lines or let you PC. If it's the 5% cashback on gas then it's a really great card! I know you already have an Amex PRG. But this one is an actual credit card and not a charge card.

I also believe it has price protection and trip cancelation/delay insurance which the PRG doesn't include.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/credit_card_amex_benefits_guide
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting I checked yesterday with USAA on their current policy on credit card limit re-allocations and product changes. The customer relations person said USAA does not do that. Was sure of that but, I checked as I have a USAA Visa Rewards Card at a 1:1 ratio and it is useless in today's world.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I remember correctly the Visa Rewards has a low cashback rate, but in return it has less APR than the Visa Preferred Rewards. But yeah I was disappointed that USAA does not PC. My girlfriend opened her USAA Amex Rewards (earns 2.25% at Gas stations) right before the 5% back was available. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.