Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Amex should I app?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

USAA Amex should I app?

Since my 5% cashback is about to expire on Chase Freedom (it will only be used to do a bal xfer after that more than likely), I want to get a card that pays good casback. Of course, I want a high limit and a friendly creditor who uses American reps. I've seen that the USAA Amex gives 2.25% cashback on gas/groceries, which are like two of my main three categories. 

I have a FICO score of anywhere from 650-700+

Experian Fako 703

Quizzle 683

Cred Sesame 688

Credit Karma 676

Wmt Fico 676

I'm looking for a $4,000 limit and plan to PIF unless they offer me something amazing. I can become a member of USAA fairly easily I believe..

I just wanna know if it's worth the plunge. I did actually just close a $500 Cap1 account (took two months to report as closed, but finally is reporting as such)

So I'd just be essentially replacing that card with this much better USAA Amex.

In the past six months, I have 2 inq on TU, 1 on EXP, and 1 on EQ.  I have anywhere from 5-7 more in a two year timespan on those reports, but I know that most creditors look at just the last six months when it comes to inquiries.

My overall util is now at 13%. I only have high usage on two cards Barclay's Amex (5100/6500) and my oldest/ only Cap 1 left (650/1300).

my aaoa is about 3 years.

most recent account opened is Chase Freedom in July.

Do y'all even think I'd get approved?

Thanks in advance.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Re: USAA Amex should I app?

Take a look at that USAA Amex again.  Look at the details.

I believe the 2.25% is only after you spend $17,000/a year threshold.  

Message 2 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Since my 5% cashback is about to expire on Chase Freedom (it will only be used to do a bal xfer after that more than likely), I want to get a card that pays good casback. Of course, I want a high limit and a friendly creditor who uses American reps. I've seen that the USAA Amex gives 2.25% cashback on gas/groceries, which are like two of my main three categories. 

I have a FICO score of anywhere from 650-700+

Experian Fako 703

Quizzle 683

Cred Sesame 688

Credit Karma 676

Wmt Fico 676

I'm looking for a $4,000 limit and plan to PIF unless they offer me something amazing. I can become a member of USAA fairly easily I believe..

I just wanna know if it's worth the plunge. I did actually just close a $500 Cap1 account (took two months to report as closed, but finally is reporting as such)

So I'd just be essentially replacing that card with this much better USAA Amex.

In the past six months, I have 2 inq on TU, 1 on EXP, and 1 on EQ.  I have anywhere from 5-7 more in a two year timespan on those reports, but I know that most creditors look at just the last six months when it comes to inquiries.

My overall util is now at 13%. I only have high usage on two cards Barclay's Amex (5100/6500) and my oldest/ only Cap 1 left (650/1300).

my aaoa is about 3 years.

most recent account opened is Chase Freedom in July.

Do y'all even think I'd get approved?

Thanks in advance.

I think you'd be fine getting what you want but that Barclays AMEX util. needs to be brought down first.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

oh no!!! I'm usually great at reading the fine print, lol YET somehow I missed that threshold NVM then...

USAA gives high limits though right??

Might be nice to have just if I need it for util, which I currently do not..

I know, I know.. I need to get the stupid Amex util down LOL

grrrr

I'm just gonna throw my whole next commission check towards it LOL

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

oh no!!! I'm usually great at reading the fine print, lol YET somehow I missed that threshold NVM then...

USAA gives high limits though right??

Might be nice to have just if I need it for util, which I currently do not..

I know, I know.. I need to get the stupid Amex util down LOL

grrrr

I'm just gonna throw my whole next commission check towards it LOL

Are you a full member of USAA??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

no, Im not a full member... but I called a Rep, and she said I should be able to join....

why?

Message 6 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

no, Im not a full member... but I called a Rep, and she said I should be able to join....

why?

If your not a full mumber, you more than likely will not recieve the prime CL's and cards from them. They are reserved for full mumbers.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

ohhhhh gotcha...

that makes sense.

I'll just stay in the garden haha I'll still try to become a member though and maybe put some cash in a savings account.

:-)

Message 8 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

ohhhhh gotcha...

that makes sense.

I'll just stay in the garden haha I'll still try to become a member though and maybe put some cash in a savings account.

:-)

Are you related to anyone in the military?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yes, a few veterans but they are dead:-/

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.