Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Amex?

Anybody think I would get approved for the USAA AMEX?  I have a BK from 2005 and my FICO is right around 685.  I've been a member wtih them for about 6 months currently.

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Anybody think I would get approved for the USAA AMEX?  I have a BK from 2005 and my FICO is right around 685.  I've been a member wtih them for about 6 months currently.

Hard to say.  You might call them and ask.  They are pretty good and might give you an indication of what their deal-breakers may be.

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what my DHs scores currently are, but when we got married 4 years ago, they were in the low 500s.  He's done a lot better, but I haven't pulled his scores.  He got a pre-approved Amex from USAA so he applied and got a $3000 CL with 10.9% IR.  Until now, all he had was an HSBC with a $500 CL and 19.9% IR, so we're happy with this one.  He was in the Marines and we've been banking with USAA for about 3 months now.

Message 33 of 37
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone got approve for the usaa mastercard but not the american express ,even though they pull the same bureau equifax. Is it two different standard.

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elaine829 wrote:

Has anyone got approve for the usaa mastercard but not the american express ,even though they pull the same bureau equifax. Is it two different standard.

That's a good question.

I know that when I took the pre-approval for the AmEx, I also applied for the World MasterCard and was approved for the same credit limit as the AmEx was approved for.

I think one advantage of applying only for the World MasterCard is that they can approve you for the downgraded MasterCard platinum product, which usually has a much lower CL.  I have seen platinum limits as low as $3k.  Not sure if they have limits that low with their AmEx product.  Perhaps others can say.

Message 35 of 37
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

My husband was approved for the master card with credit limit of 4,000 but  got denied for american express thats why i asked. Equifax was 681.

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elaine829 wrote:

My husband was approved for the master card with credit limit of 4,000 but  got denied for american express thats why i asked. Equifax was 681.

My guess is that if he applied first for the AmEx and then for the MasterCard he would have been approved for the AmEx with $4k and declined for the MasterCard.  Sometimes creditors have an overall limit that they will extend an individual no matter how many products they approve you for.

Also, I know that USAA especially does not take only one's credit score into consideration.  They look at a number of factors not the least of which is how long you have been a USAA member and what other products of theirs you use.  They like long-term members who are active duty officers.  There are probably many other things they like, too.

In any event, there is not any reason to feel discouraged.  Talk to them.  See what they recommend.  When the stars are aligned, they are darned good to you. 

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.