Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CC

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA CC

@DigitalArk wrote:

USAA denied my CLI request last June when my EQ FICO was 802.

They just doubled my CL's though they're still nowhere near my highest CL's.

Message 11 of 20
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

I currently have a secured AmEx & secured MC with USAA.  I'm to the point of my re-building journey that I'm getting ready in the next 1-2 months to apply for an actual CC.  I already double checked with USAA and they don't graduate and the only information they could give me about my chances of being approved is to apply.

Anyone have any thoughts on how conservative/difficult they are to get?  I don't see them mentioned very often on the forums so I haven't been able to find a lot of information about them to review. 

I don't know if this makes any difference with their UW criteria but I'm a full member for 24 years now. 

What's the difference between the Amex and MC for USAA?  Also do you have to pay the Amex off monthly? 

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 12 of 20
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@avggoal700 wrote:

@mt2va wrote:

I currently have a secured AmEx & secured MC with USAA.  I'm to the point of my re-building journey that I'm getting ready in the next 1-2 months to apply for an actual CC.  I already double checked with USAA and they don't graduate and the only information they could give me about my chances of being approved is to apply.

Anyone have any thoughts on how conservative/difficult they are to get?  I don't see them mentioned very often on the forums so I haven't been able to find a lot of information about them to review. 

I don't know if this makes any difference with their UW criteria but I'm a full member for 24 years now. 

What's the difference between the Amex and MC for USAA?  Also do you have to pay the Amex off monthly? 

The "Amex" is just handled on the Amex network. (It is not issued by Centurion Bank.)

Message 13 of 20
TatorTodd
Regular Contributor

odd, i got my first USAA Amex about 9 months ago, my highest credit limit was 1k(wells fargo platinum), and not much history, and 670 credit score.  They gave me 7k limit.  at the 6month period they upped me to 11k. 

NCFU Flagship(80k) DC Elite (40k) Cash Sapphire Preferred(38k) DC Premier (30k) NFCU CashRewards (25k) USAA Amex (22k) USAA MasterCard (16k) Barclay Arrival+ Elite (15k) Nordstrom (15k) BofA Rewards (12.5k) 4 Amices (50k)

As of 10/13/14
Experian: 787 - EquiFax: 798 - TU: 789
Message 14 of 20
Airforcekid
Established Member

Everyone i've ever talked to has always recommended NFCU over USAA expect to use them for insurance and possibly investing. Credit however is much easier with NFCU if you eligible join and go for an unsecured card they give out decent cards for low scores.

NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 15 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

@Airforcekid wrote:

Everyone i've ever talked to has always recommended NFCU over USAA expect to use them for insurance and possibly investing. Credit however is much easier with NFCU if you eligible join and go for an unsecured card they give out decent cards for low scores.

I'm a member of both.  Unfortunately, I owe NFCU for a charged off LOC and 2 CC that they closed due to a couple 30 day lates.  So until I get that all paid off they won't extend me any more credit.  And USAA is too conservative for me to get a CC with.  I made a mistake getting secured CC with them.  I should have went with BoA or someone else that un-secured me.  However, I do like how easy it is to add money to the limit and their website interface is very easy to use. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 16 of 20
bk510
Valued Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

I would say, u have a shot. generally i believe score should b 680 for a full member.

I am a partial member with check and sav account with creditt monitoring service with them.

I will b applying for usaa amex version with score of 670. i'm just gonna give it a shot and c wat happens.good luck

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 17 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bk510 wrote:

@mt2va wrote:

I would say, u have a shot. generally i believe score should b 680 for a full member.

I am a partial member with check and sav account with creditt monitoring service with them.

I will b applying for usaa amex version with score of 670. i'm just gonna give it a shot and c wat happens.good luck

Don't think so actually: I got a unsecured card back in 1/13 with them at 646 Beacon 5; might've been slightly higher on an '08 score if they used that, but it's not a 680 minimum underwriting for their unsecured cards.

Didn't use the card much, did get an auto-CLI of $600 (to $2600) after a year.  

USAA bar none has the best secured installment loan product in my estimation unless you can't swing the $2500 CD.  Between that and their insurance and their godlike no fee ACH transfers for both transmit and receive, I'm certainly glad I'm a full member there.  

        
Message 18 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

I loved their secured CC.  Their customer service is some of the best.  Their website is easy to use.  It's easy to add money to your CD to increase your CC limit.  Only downside is the card doesn't un-secure.  You have to re-apply for a new card.  And apparently I re-applied too early because I was denied. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 19 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mt2va wrote:

I loved their secured CC.  Their customer service is some of the best.  Their website is easy to use.  It's easy to add money to your CD to increase your CC limit.  Only downside is the card doesn't un-secure.  You have to re-apply for a new card.  And apparently I re-applied too early because I was denied. 

To be fair, the vast majority of secured cards don't graduate, and it isn't really necessary anyway.

If you get any one secured card that graduates early when building / rebuilding (*cough* BOFA) the other 1-2 ones can be whatever and just close them out later.  Really don't even need the graduation card either longer term, it's just helpful to have the extra history on an open tradeline you can effectively keep forever if you so choose: in 10 years it won't matter much, and in 20 years it won't matter at all.

        
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.