Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CC

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

USAA CC

I currently have a secured AmEx & secured MC with USAA.  I'm to the point of my re-building journey that I'm getting ready in the next 1-2 months to apply for an actual CC.  I already double checked with USAA and they don't graduate and the only information they could give me about my chances of being approved is to apply.

Anyone have any thoughts on how conservative/difficult they are to get?  I don't see them mentioned very often on the forums so I haven't been able to find a lot of information about them to review. 

I don't know if this makes any difference with their UW criteria but I'm a full member for 24 years now. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA CC

I'd suggest checking the credit pulls database, that has more than 30 pages of specific experiences with USAA.

If you're a full member, and your scores are reasonable, then I think I'd go for it.

USAA is not noted for its rewards cards, but the CCs have other nice benefits such as integration with the checking account for overdraft protection.

Message 2 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

Yes well apparently I'm not good enough for them.  They are however able to offer me a secured card.  (guess their compuer can't see I already have 2 secured cards with them currently)

Message 3 of 20
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

What did the AA letter say?  Something like "Insufficent Credit History"?    

The pull Equifax exclusively. 

USAA will probably want to see some history.  They are conservative, but are willing to extend credit if they see 24 Mo plus on payments history across your report.  

We are full members, my husband has been Full since 1999.  He opened a CC with them 36 mo after he started building.  At the time of the App he had 742 CS, 13% Util acorss 6 lines, only 2 reporting a balance with under 20% per line.  Three of which were new Trade lines (3 Mo+).  USAA gave him 1K more than his highest line at the time.  However, he had also apped at the beginning of his build and was denied due to "Insufficent credit history".  

It may be all you need is time in the garden.  

Message 4 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

I haven't gotten the letter yet but once I do I will be calling to recon them.  I'm a full member since 1992 & I've had credit since 1990 so I doubt they could say I have insufficient history.  My utilization was around 3%.  I do have one late in early 2013 but I can't see that would cause an automatic denial.  I've had 2 secured cards with them for going on 2 years that have always been paid on time & nearly always PIF. 

I just have a feeling it's the fact that my score just isn't high enough.  I was hoping my long history with them would give me an in.  I guess I made a mistake getting secured cards that wouldn't graduate and now I'm stuck still trying to get decent cards.

Message 5 of 20
msbia
Established Contributor

I wouldn't get discouraged with USAA. If your secured cards have passed the mandatory 2yr CD requirement then it's your option, but I've only had mine since January of this year and only been with USAA for 2 years. When I got my secured Amex with them my EQ score was 622. I started clearing up my report little by little, making charges with my new cards but keeping the util at 3%, and PIF on all but one by the due date. On Saturday I got a SW update that my EQ score was at 673, I went onto USAA and app'd for the world mastercard and was approved for 7k. I was really shocked because I still have 2 baddies left on EQ, but I paid in person for one of them (a medical) on Friday and the creditor immediately removed it from my report which caused the score jump, I believe. So please keep the faith, USAA is such a great resource and stay diligent with removing the uglies from your CRs. Good luck to you!

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 6 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

I haven't gotten the letter yet but once I do I will be calling to recon them.  I'm a full member since 1992 & I've had credit since 1990 so I doubt they could say I have insufficient history.  My utilization was around 3%.  I do have one late in early 2013 but I can't see that would cause an automatic denial.  I've had 2 secured cards with them for going on 2 years that have always been paid on time & nearly always PIF. 

I just have a feeling it's the fact that my score just isn't high enough.  I was hoping my long history with them would give me an in.  I guess I made a mistake getting secured cards that wouldn't graduate and now I'm stuck still trying to get decent cards.

They don't care about any of that. One of the many reason I don't use USAA for much. I'd try other lenders, not only are they less conservative but they reward your loyalty, so you don't constantly need HP CLI.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 7 of 20
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

USAA denied my CLI request last June when my EQ FICO was 802. I then applied NFCU cashRewards and Costco Amex, both were approved with over 14K CL.

Message 8 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

There are a million stories like that. I had to ask three times for a 500 dollar CLI from USAA (all HPs), even though I made 80K and was with them for years. My first app to NFCU 25K CL plus completely free balance transfer and 0 percent APR for over a year.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 9 of 20
mt2va
Established Contributor

Luckily I'm a member at NFCU as well but currently still owe them money for a charged off LOC & a little money left on my Visa they closed due to 2 late payments.  Should be taken care of by the end of the year and my understanding is as long as I pay back everything I owe them they will work with me again.  (I hope)  

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.