Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA CLI

Currently have just two cards: NFCU and USAA. The NFCU card has a limit of 16.1k, but a much higher interest rate. USAA has 5.4k, but denied me the last time I requested a CLI (I don't recall when it was). Both seem to be doing annual auto-CLIs, but I'd like to get my USAA card up to at least 10k. Current FICO: 754/754/763, with anticipation of 789/789/798 when I finish paying down my NFCU card.

Any advice on how to go about it to get the highest odds of the largest CLI? I'm looking at making large purchases in the near future, with needing to furnish an apartment and building a new gaming computer (although I've already got the $ saved up for the computer). Would calling and implying that I'd like them to finance the furniture help?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA CLI

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently have just two cards: NFCU and USAA. The NFCU card has a limit of 16.1k, but a much higher interest rate. USAA has 5.4k, but denied me the last time I requested a CLI (I don't recall when it was). Both seem to be doing annual auto-CLIs, but I'd like to get my USAA card up to at least 10k. Current FICO: 754/754/763, with anticipation of 789/789/798 when I finish paying down my NFCU card.

Any advice on how to go about it to get the highest odds of the largest CLI? I'm looking at making large purchases in the near future, with needing to furnish an apartment and building a new gaming computer (although I've already got the $ saved up for the computer). Would calling and implying that I'd like them to finance the furniture help?

When I call USAA, I like to have single digit utilization and little to no inqs over the past 6 months. I have never gotten an auto cli before--probably because I initiate a cli whenever I'm eligible (every 6 months). Two cool things: If you get a cli, and then apply for a second card, then they match your other cl, and secondly, though they require a separate hp for each cli, when I do them on the same call, fico only counts it as 1.

my cli went like this: I got the platinum at 4k, then cli to 7k, then cli to 13k, then app for world--matched at 13k, then got cli on both cards, plat to 26k, world to 23k.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 7
BootStraps
Established Contributor

Just a head's up if you don't know...

At NFCU you can request an interest rate reduction once a year. If you haven't done that in the last 12 months I suggest that you do it right now.

I know that this isn't about CLI's but it might help with the big purchase you are planning.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

USAA has 5.4k, but denied me the last time I requested a CLI

@Anonymous wrote:

Any advice on how to go about it to get the highest odds of the largest CLI?

As with any creditor, address the reason(s) for denial & optimize your utilization.

Message 4 of 7
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is your Util on your NFCU?  Reason I ask is why do you think your score will go up 35 pts when you pay it down?   That is a big jump.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently reports at 5,400 of 16,100, so... 33.5%? I'm pulling those scores based off the FICO calculator, which is just a simulation, but surely the most accurate of them, since it's their own system.

As for addressing their concerns and trying again, it's been so long that I don't recall what they were, if they even said. I'm sure it was something along the lines of utilization, I was at almost 100% while waiting to get into the Navy (turns out, people don't like to hire DEPers who will only be around 3 months).

Thanks for the answers!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure whats up with USAA, as I cant get any love from them for anything. I opened a Platinum Rewards Mastercard with them about 14 months ago, and they started me with a low low 2k limit, and they refuse to budge it.

Over the 14 months I have had it, I have spent over 22k on it and paid it off each time, never paying a penny of interest. I now have a nice $225 nest-egg built up on the card. But over that time, I have requested 2 CLIs and 1 personal line of credit and been denied each time. It may have something to do with the utilization ratio, as I was often in the 1.5k range. But still, perfect payment record with them and every other lender.

Meanwhile, PenFed and USBank are both falling over themselves to extend me credit. Go figure.

Its ok, that USAA card has served its purpose, helped me build my credit and earn a nice chunk of rewards, and now I have moved on to bigger and better offers. The 1% cash back just cant compete with my other new cards.

Sorry USAA, I'm over you and moving on, but thanks for all the fish! Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.