Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Card approval criteria?

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Card approval criteria?

@Revelate wrote:
@Swapmeet: I don't have a credit card account with USAA but I also have the option for mobile deposits but I can only recall it's being added recently. At least I can go 99% through the interface, didn't hit the final submit button.

Typically I use Chase's anyway but it's a handy feature as previously even as a full member you could go down to a UPS store but this is in all ways more convenient.

Wow, that is cool. I have wanted to be able to do it since I opened the accounts. Unfortunately, these are their requirements:

You must have a USAA checking or savingsaccount and:

Have an active USAA property and casualty insurance policy and be qualified for a USAA loan or credit card (not a USAA Secured Card).

OR

Be eligible for USAA property and casualty insurance and have an active USAA loan or credit card (not a USAA Secured Card).

And all I had were the auto insurance and checking account. So I could not do it until I got qualified for a cc, personal loan, or life insurance. The HP at the beginning of your membership may have qualified you for a cc, personal loan, or life insurance -- my credit, I guess, took some work first.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 21 of 33
jrodzmc09
Contributor

So.. I am active duty, have a checking account, 2yr CD, brokerage service, and auto insurance but I'm still not a full member cause I don't have a regular usaa cc? I have a secured usaa amex. Wow this really blows.

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:
@Swapmeet: I don't have a credit card account with USAA but I also have the option for mobile deposits but I can only recall it's being added recently. At least I can go 99% through the interface, didn't hit the final submit button.

Typically I use Chase's anyway but it's a handy feature as previously even as a full member you could go down to a UPS store but this is in all ways more convenient.

Wow, that is cool. I have wanted to be able to do it since I opened the accounts. Unfortunately, these are their requirements:

Have an active USAA property and casualty insurance policy and be qualified for a USAA loan or credit card (not a USAA Secured Card).

OR

Be eligible for USAA property and casualty insurance and have an active USAA loan or credit card (not a USAA Secured Card).

And all I had were the auto insurance and checking account. So I could not do it until I got qualified for a cc, personal loan, or life insurance. The HP at the beginning of your membership may have qualified you for a cc, personal loan, or life insurance -- my credit, I guess, took some work first.

USAA PLATINUM MC: $9.5k | CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED: $5k | NFCU FLAGSHIP REWARDS: $5k | USAA VFW REWARDS: $4k | BARCLAYS FINANCING VISA: $2.3k | CHASE AMAZON REWARDS: $2k | DISCOVER IT: $1k | AMEX BCP: $1K | PAYPAL SC: $1.3k | MACYS: $1.2k | EXPRESS: $600 | NFCU LOC: $2.5k | NFCU AUTO LOAN: $21k
Message 22 of 33
BearOSO
Contributor

@jrodzmc09 wrote:

So.. I am active duty, have a checking account, 2yr CD, brokerage service, and auto insurance but I'm still not a full member cause I don't have a regular usaa cc? I have a secured usaa amex. Wow this really blows.

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

OR

Not sure if serious....or trolling 

Message 23 of 33
jrodzmc09
Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. I am actually being serious. Don't really know what makes you a full member. I thought I was but theres a lot of threads here that got me somewhat confused. If someone can enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it. Just got approved for NFCU Visa Signature Flagship Rewards with a my current FICO scores. Would like to have an idea of my chances of approval with thOse scores, if I am truly a USAA full member. Thanks In advance. 

USAA PLATINUM MC: $9.5k | CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED: $5k | NFCU FLAGSHIP REWARDS: $5k | USAA VFW REWARDS: $4k | BARCLAYS FINANCING VISA: $2.3k | CHASE AMAZON REWARDS: $2k | DISCOVER IT: $1k | AMEX BCP: $1K | PAYPAL SC: $1.3k | MACYS: $1.2k | EXPRESS: $600 | NFCU LOC: $2.5k | NFCU AUTO LOAN: $21k
Message 24 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Swapmeet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

OR

Bleck missed this message.

Weird.  I guess my secured CD loan is what got it for me along with having a checking account there?  My auto insurance is likewise through there; however, USAA doesn't do a HP to open the account.  

I did get a HP for my loan of course, and I have once seen a pre-approval offer (for all of 3 days, ah well) for one of their entry CC's, but that's it.

        
Message 25 of 33
drkaje
Senior Contributor

USAA has been great for me!

They automatically review accounts every 6 months and decide on a CLI, or not.

Honestly, I think they're a little more conservative with CLIs than a lot of people here would be comfortable with. It doesn't seem to be simply a matter of perfectly managing ones credit or keeping a clean record. My guess is they have general guidelines on how much credit people should have based upon their income and DTI.

I've had two cards stuck at $5K/$3K for about a year with no CLI.

Customer initiated requests are HPs.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 33
jrodzmc09
Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

USAA has been great for me!

They automatically review accounts every 6 months and decide on a CLI, or not.

Honestly, I think they're a little more conservative with CLIs than a lot of people here would be comfortable with. It doesn't seem to be simply a matter of perfectly managing ones credit or keeping a clean record. My guess is they have general guidelines on how much credit people should have based upon their income and DTI.

I've had two cards stuck at $5K/$3K for about a year with no CLI.

Customer initiated requests are HPs.

Well well! To my surprise I just got approved for a VFW USAA Amex Rewards CC $4k CL with a 668 EQ. And this week keeps on getting weirder. Guess that makes me a full member now right? LOL. Well off to the garden now. Actually after I get results from Walmart, cause apparently they have to send me letter in 7-10 days. That would definitely end things with a bitter taste after being approved for a NFCU Visa Siggy $5k CL, NFCU NavChek $2.5k CL and a USAA VFW Amex Rewards $4k CL. Next card AMEX charge card probably around Nov, Dec time or Jan. 2014

Message 27 of 33
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I just have a couple questions.

1:  Where can you find out if your a full member or partial member does it say it somewhere when you sign into your USAA account?

2: Where can you find where the section is on auto CLI?

From what I have been reading I would be considered a partial member my father was is ex military.  It seems from what everyone is writing what you might not get a great credit limit but I recently got approved for a their American Express card with a 12k limit.  So from that could I assume that I might be a full member?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Message 28 of 33
Ron1
Super Contributor

@CreditWorld2013 wrote:

I have a few questions about a USAA card application: 

1) What credit report does USAA mostly pull? 

2) What are the odds I get approved with about 1 year + 3 months total history and AAoA ~11 months? 

3) Are they inquiry sensitive?

So a bit short on history but clean record (no lates, derogs, etc). 

1) They pulls EQ

2)  Not sure.

3) Yes.

They are also credit utilization sensitive.  under 5% is good. Are you a full member or partial?

Ron.

Message 29 of 33
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

CRedit score 676

Give me 4k highest limit compare to my $500 capital one

6 7 Inquiry on EQ ( EQ they pull ) PArtial member

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.