Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Cash Advance

tag
srloring13
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA Cash Advance

Don't forget about being able to deposit checks at some local UPS stores if you're not located near one of their branches or atms.
FILED CH7 BK 02/25/13 -- DISCHARGED 06/10/13
Starting Scores 06/10/13 EQ474 EX538 TU503
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@srloring13 wrote:
Don't forget about being able to deposit checks at some local UPS stores if you're not located near one of their branches or atms.

I didnt know about this feature, or about having ATM fees refunded either, great info.

I'm going to be using their mobile banking app and taking a pic of my checks for deposits.

My current checking account is with B of A and they just sent me a letter saying they would no longer be able to waive the fees associated with my checking account, so they will be deducting 25 a month from my account starting in May.  I am happy with them and have been there for just under 20 years, but it isnt worth 25 a month.  I use the online BillPay multiple times every month, but USAA also has it.  I will be calling them tomorrow and mentioning that if they cant make my checking account free, I'll have to leave.  I used to be a customer with a home loan and a good sized IRA with them, but then if that was still the case, I would not have read most every post in the rebuilders forum.

Message 12 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@srloring13 wrote:

I didnt know about this feature, or about having ATM fees refunded either, great info.

I'm going to be using their mobile banking app and taking a pic of my checks for deposits.

My current checking account is with B of A and they just sent me a letter saying they would no longer be able to waive the fees associated with my checking account, so they will be deducting 25 a month from my account starting in May.  I am happy with them and have been there for just under 20 years, but it isnt worth 25 a month.  I use the online BillPay multiple times every month, but USAA also has it.  I will be calling them tomorrow and mentioning that if they cant make my checking account free, I'll have to leave.  I used to be a customer with a home loan and a good sized IRA with them, but then if that was still the case, I would not have read most every post in the rebuilders forum.

You're not alone, my friend.  I can relate... more than you might think.  Smiley Wink

If you would like a local account for the occasional cash deposit, here's an idea.  Go with Wells Fargo... I have their basic account, and I get the fee waived each month by doing an ACH transfer from USAA for $500.  Wells Fargo "sees" this as a direct deposit, and they waive the monthly fee.  You can then simply transfer it back, or what I usually do is just pay a couple of bills with it using Wells Fargo's bill pay.  (My home was foreclosed by Wells, so I'm certainly not a 'cheerleader' for them, but I've had a checking account with them for a while and they've actually been pretty good.)

I admit this isn't the most 'graceful' approach, but it's worked for me the last couple of years (when I realized a transfer would "count" as a direct deposit with Wells).

The only place USAA seems to fall short (for me) is if you need to make frequent cash deposits, there's no straight-forward way to do so.  Also, this has never been a problem for me, but deposits via mobile phone or the UPS store aren't covered by Reg. CC, so they can hold the deposit if they feel it's necessary.  I'll stress, though, that this has never been a problem for me personally. 

Actually, when I do a transfer from Wells to USAA (initated at USAA) they give immediate credit for the first $800 (might be more for some folks), and I mean immediate, as in can withdraw from an ATM right away, even though the money technically isn't there yet.  (For a couple of days the money will show up in both banks online).  This has been helpful a few times as well.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called and I would be eligible for membership through my dad but he would have to buy that $40 jewelery policy. The representative said he would have to keep the policy the entire 12 months.  Does anyone know if that is true?  Once I got my checking/CC setup and then if he cancelled at 3 months would they revoke my membership?  $40 not a terrible price for membership anyway I don't paying the whole thing if I have to.. just trying to figure out if the CSR is pulling my leg or what.

Message 14 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I called and I would be eligible for membership through my dad but he would have to buy that $40 jewelery policy. The representative said he would have to keep the policy the entire 12 months.  Does anyone know if that is true?  Once I got my checking/CC setup and then if he cancelled at 3 months would they revoke my membership?  $40 not a terrible price for membership anyway I don't paying the whole thing if I have to.. just trying to figure out if the CSR is pulling my leg or what.

It's probably true since most likely that $40 is the annual premium.  When I helped my grandfather join, the policy I bought for him was around that amount for the entire year as well, so that sounds right.

It's not really that great of an expense when you consider what all you'll get out of it.  Smiley Wink

If you can somehow figure out how to get your father a refund, as far as I know he would still be "in", since once a member, always a member.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.