Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Classic Platinum Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Classic Platinum Visa

Does anyone know anything about this card? I got it about 2 years ago with 21.90% APR. The yearly fee is $35.  I've used it and paid it (sitting at 0 right now) and have the same 1k limit as when I started.

I got it under the impression that there would be CLI per the info on their site, but when it never CLI I called a while back and was told 1k was the max limit on this card. Major annoying.

I don't get USAA, I never get offers for them and when I inquire they say there is nothing. bleck.....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Classic Platinum Visa

When I got my Platinum Visa last December, my SL was $5000.  In June I will have had it 6 months.  From information for others on the forum, I know that if I request a CLI, it will be a hard pull; the problem for me, is that since it is EQ, I have too many inquiries due to purchasing a new vehicle last summer, so I will probably forsake trying to get an increase from them and focus more on BCE and ED as they pull EX and I have less inquiries.  I'm like you in that  I don't really understand how USAA works.  I joined to get a auto loan, but their rate was not as competitive as the rate I got from BBVA (but took a hit with inquires from the dealer),  but was pre-approved for the card and at the time, it was only my second CC.  I was big on paying cash for everything except for auto loans and needed to improve my credit score.  I went from 583 to 685 in less than a year, so although I don't expect any higher limit from USAA, it and Capital One have helped my score.  What have they said when they denied the CLI?  I know that if I tried, the biggest red flag for me would be 4 new accounts (Venture One, BBVA Amex, BCE, and ED), but like I said, I can't afford to burn an inquiry when I don't feel that my odds are good right now.  The only other card I would want is Discover, but been turned down for inquiries, so trying to garden for next 14 months when major amount of inquires fall off. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They told me that card was a 1,000 max and if I wanted a CLI I would have to apply for another card.  I can't find anything on their website about it and calling them for a CLI is a HP.

Message 3 of 6
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They told me that card was a 1,000 max and if I wanted a CLI I would have to apply for another card.  I can't find anything on their website about it and calling them for a CLI is a HP.

Are you a full or partial member?

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried logging on to USAA website to see which visa I have but it doesn't say.  All I know is 6 months after joining got pre approval.  Only had cap 1 card, student loan, and auto loan.  I would like CLI with them, but have too many inqs so won't even try.  How is your uti?  Got mine to 18% but know it needs to be lower.  After getting USAA, went after Wal-Mart and Amazon.  Started low limits  with them, but chatted to decents limits.  Have you considered diversifying?  I don't have an installment loan, but have student loans reporting.  I guess I artificially inflated my score with 2 credit, 2 store, student loan, and auto loan.  Score not there yet.  Want 720 by year end to go after mortgage.  What is your goal aside from CLI?  That will help you decide your next course of action.  Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do everything you can stay in the good graces of USAA, not matter how you have to do IT!  I'd call a REP over there at USAA and explain your situation for sure tho.  12+ months is usually a great timeframe for asking for a CLI.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.