Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Credit card question

tag
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

USAA Credit card question

I don't know what took me so long, but my mom is a vet and I finally got her to sign up for usaa today! So I signed up right after her and I am looking to get a credit card. Is there a card on there for bad credit? Or would the secured card be my only option?
USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA Credit card question

At sub 600 I think their secured product (which is actually a good one) is their only option.

        
Message 2 of 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

At sub 600 I think their secured product (which is actually a good one) is their only option.

+1 even though they give nice credit lines your current score is kind of low

Whats keeping your scores from going up?

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 13
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

I was pretty impressed that they offer a CD instead of it only being a deposit. Looks like ill be going the secured route to try and build my credit back up.
USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 4 of 13
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

Well when I was 18 I got two credit cards and then lost my job so those went down the drain. Haven't been able to get a CC since. I have two auto loans that are perfect (paid 1 off) But I do have a couple utility bills and cell phone bills that I'm currently trying to pay.

I have 0 utilization so I'm guessing that has a major part to do with it ?

Message 5 of 13
dodgeball
Established Contributor

There generally looking for at least 700 on your equifax. I applied with a 676 and was shot down just applied when I had a 706 approved with a $6k credit limit. They are pretty conservative bank.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 6 of 13
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

There generally looking for at least 700 on your equifax. I applied with a 676 and was shot down just applied when I had a 706 approved with a $6k credit limit. They are pretty conservative bank.

I believe it also has to do if you are a full or limited member. If you are a full member I've seen them be more lenient as some have been approved in the 600s. 

Message 7 of 13
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Im a full member as well as my buddy who applied a couple days after me and I beleive he had a 688 and was shot down also. But I have heard of others with High 600's getting the card. I am in the Army and everybody has USAA and it seems  the 700 mark is the golden spot for them.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 8 of 13
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

I am a member, at the time of my app I had 'Auto Insurance, IRA, Mutual Fund, and Savings'  I was approved for the USAA Plat. MC $1000.00 with a FICO of 642. 

Just thought I'd throw this in also.   I asked for a secured card thinking that would be all I could get - and the rep ask "why not get the unsecured card" and I answered because I'm not sure if my scores are good enough yet - she said to give her a second - and less than a minute later she said congratulations your New Credit line is $1000.00. 

Now all things balanced - as other have mentioned I'm not sure if my having those other products with them contributed? (I'd like to think they did) but who knows??

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 9 of 13
dodgeball
Established Contributor

The more productis you have with them the better your chances. If they gave you a grand with  a 642 fico,  it was because you had all those  products

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.