Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Dilema

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Dilema

What are your credit scores?  I wonder would it be easier to reapply for the card you want sometimes that might be the way to go.  Unless at this point you are totally turn off by them.

Message 11 of 18
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

I am a full member, baddies 4 years old with no collections or judgments, the only other issue is high ute which is being chipped away at. I have savings, checking, IRA, homeowners insurance and car insurance with them.

Denied. I got offered a 16 percent on a car refi and a secured card. They dropped the car loan to 11-12, but I was at 9.9. My main CU refied for 7 so I took that.

I am about to dropkick USAA for everything except the minimum in savings, once I find better insurance. I was going to move money to NFCU but don't want a hard pull for opening checking.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 12 of 18
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Dilemma

USAA was great when I first joined (full member).  Since joining I have pulled insurance quotes numerous times, they can't touch Farmers on my auto, life and home policies.  

Their Customer Service at the beginning was amazing, now its extremely poor.

I am looking at canceling both their Amex and MC and just moving on.  

Message 13 of 18
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA Dilemma

HA! I just finished a post in the Garden thread about considering getting rid of my USAA card if they don't unsecure it. I'm not contributing any more to raise the limit on it and, despite the low 9.9% APR, I need a higher limit if I am going to occasionally carry a balance on it and not kill my utilization.

I really like USAA. I have a checking, savings, CD, and the CC with them, plus DH and I have auto and property insurance also. I want to have an ongoing relationship with them and was considering getting an auto loan with them and using their car buying service next year. They have nice membership benefits including car rental discounts, etc. I have never had an impolite CSR with them, ever.

When it comes to getting a better CC, I suspect they are simply not BK friendly. My scores are decent, but my BK has not fallen off and will not until 2018. Since I now have higher limits that have started to report, I will check with them one more time in a few months and request an unsecured card. If not, then I will close it and focus elsewhere.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 14 of 18
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@silverzgirl wrote:

I am a full member, baddies 4 years old with no collections or judgments, the only other issue is high ute which is being chipped away at. I have savings, checking, IRA, homeowners insurance and car insurance with them.

Denied. I got offered a 16 percent on a car refi and a secured card. They dropped the car loan to 11-12, but I was at 9.9. My main CU refied for 7 so I took that.

I am about to dropkick USAA for everything except the minimum in savings, once I find better insurance. I was going to move money to NFCU but don't want a hard pull for opening checking.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think that you, being a NFCU member already, would incur a HP for a checking account.

I opened my checking account the same day I became a member, which of course was a HP on TU for membership.  So I can't tell you for sure, but it doesn't seem like it would be a HP for you.

But then again...it is NFCU.  So you and I just got a HP for even mentioning their name haha Smiley Wink

ETA:  Would you like to be our guinea pig and let us know for sure? Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 18
gstq34
Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Wow! I usually dont hear horror stories about USAA. But this is a bit alarming since a lot of members want to apply for a USAA card. Sorry to hear that they wont work with you Smiley Sad

You must not get around much.  Don't know why people defend USAA like there is no tomorrow.  I have been with USAA for longer than I can remember, and I have witnessed the decline of what was and what use to be USAA.  

Now USAA is just another company. Nothing special.  

Completely agree.  They got a CC SD'd and lost 2 auto loans from me, not to mention 3 insurance products!

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@silverzgirl wrote:

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think that you, being a NFCU member already, would incur a HP for a checking account.

I opened my checking account the same day I became a member, which of course was a HP on TU for membership.  So I can't tell you for sure, but it doesn't seem like it would be a HP for you.

But then again...it is NFCU.  So you and I just got a HP for even mentioning their name haha Smiley Wink

ETA:  Would you like to be our guinea pig and let us know for sure? Smiley Wink

Nah, it will kill my silver spade...coming up this weekend lol. I tried and it asked for my SSN which is usually a clue by four upside the head that it will be a HP.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 17 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@silvergirlz

Your spade will be safe as long as the HP is for opening a checking/savings acct only. No new TL or possibility of a TL.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.