cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA - Higher rates than advertised?

tag
Gray
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA - Higher rates than advertised?

My USAA World MasterCard has a CL of $30K and an APR of 6%. My wife has the same. We opened our cards in 1993. FICO about 800.

We're not full members (through my father) but have auto/life/property insurance and banking.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not higher than advertised, it's exactly as advertised.  Your credit profile did not allow you to get the perfect APR... why are you blaming USAA?  10.99% really isn't that bad of an APR, anyhow.  Especially considering 24% util.

I got an APR of 11.9% with an EQ FICO of 748 and much less util then you. What's the issue?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gray wrote:

My USAA World MasterCard has a CL of $30K and an APR of 6%. My wife has the same. We opened our cards in 1993. FICO about 800.

We're not full members (through my father) but have auto/life/property insurance and banking.

I don't think non-full member are eligible for insurance products.. you sure you aren't full members?

Message 13 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gray wrote:

I don't think non-full member are eligible for insurance products.. you sure you aren't full members?

This is true, you have to be a full member to get auto insurance from them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 16
Gray
Regular Contributor

My father was an officer, and thus a full member of USAA. From Wikipedia: "Adult children of USAA members and U.S. military junior enlisted personnel make up a group known at USAA as "associate members" insured through a subsidiary called USAA-Casualty Insurance Company (USAA-CIC). USAA-CIC is not an insurance exchange but rather a Delaware Insurance Corporation. This is a subtle nuance but is important concerning the return of profits. Associate members sometimes receive policy dividends instead of distributions of profits, since they are not members of the insurance exchange." This is not commonly understood by most people.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gray wrote:
My father was an officer, and thus a full member of USAA. From Wikipedia: "Adult children of USAA members and U.S. military junior enlisted personnel make up a group known at USAA as "associate members" insured through a subsidiary called USAA-Casualty Insurance Company (USAA-CIC). USAA-CIC is not an insurance exchange but rather a Delaware Insurance Corporation. This is a subtle nuance but is important concerning the return of profits. Associate members sometimes receive policy dividends instead of distributions of profits, since they are not members of the insurance exchange." This is not commonly understood by most people.

Excellent info, thanks!

I guess there are at least three tiers of USAA membership... full, associate, and whatever I am :-)

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.