Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA MasterCard for non-military

tag
user5387
Valued Contributor

USAA MasterCard for non-military

I am a non-military USAA member, and a while back was approved for the MasterCard.

When I applied, I had high scores, and figured that I would get a low APR of around 12%.  However, I ended up with 18.9, and my further research indicates that this is a typical outcome for non-military members.

So I'm wondering what happens over the long haul.  If I maintain high scores, should I expect APR reductions, auto CLIs, or BT offers?  Or does everything pretty much stay the same?

The card is nicely integrated with the checking account, and is useful for overdraft protection and emergency no-fee cash advances.

But beyond that, I'm wondering how best to use the card.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: USAA MasterCard for non-military

I don't think you cannot do too much for non-military USAA Mastercard.  I think 18.9% is the lowest you can get. It has no rewards. You may want to apply for a new diifferent type of card.

Message 2 of 4
mahiven
Regular Contributor

My wife's grandfather is a retired Navy commander, so we were able to become USAA members. Even with our crappy credit, they gave us a credit limit four times what our other cards would give us. On top of that, our APR is 14.9, which is low compared to the 19% everyone else gives us. On top of that, the rewards are really good. We've been blessed with them. We've called and asked for a CLI, but they said we need to bring our balance down. I asked them if they were the type to balance chase and they said no. Excellent customer service.

03/19/2011 EQ: 627 EX: 602 TU 590 (lender pull) 07/16/2011 EQ: 646 EX: 629 TU 647 Fell off the wagon in 2012. Starting over in 2013.Current Score: 01/07/2013 EQ: 646 EX: ??? TU 608 Goal Score: 700 club

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@user5387 wrote:

I am a non-military USAA member, and a while back was approved for the MasterCard.

When I applied, I had high scores, and figured that I would get a low APR of around 12%.  However, I ended up with 18.9, and my further research indicates that this is a typical outcome for non-military members.

So I'm wondering what happens over the long haul.  If I maintain high scores, should I expect APR reductions, auto CLIs, or BT offers?  Or does everything pretty much stay the same?

The card is nicely integrated with the checking account, and is useful for overdraft protection and emergency no-fee cash advances.

But beyond that, I'm wondering how best to use the card.

I'm guessing that the extension of partial membership to those without military ties is so new that there isn't a track record on this yet.

The rewards aren't much with USAA cards, other than as you say, a handy tie-in for your banking stuff. Traditionally, they've been generous with CL's (which can be looked at as a type of reward), but I don't know if that's true for non-military members. Again, it's probably too soon to know.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.