Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Maximum Exposure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Maximum Exposure

For some reason USAA is giving me a preapproval for a $25k AmEx.  Problem is I already have one at $25k in addition to their MC also at $25k.

I always thought their maximum exposure was $50k.  I also thought you couldn't have two of the same card.  Anybody have experience with this?  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: USAA Maximum Exposure

You must have a chapter 7 on your report!

G Pyle

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dodgeball wrote:

You must have a chapter 7 on your report!

G Pyle

Yup!  Best think that ever happened to me!!!  

Gomer P.

Message 3 of 11
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Did you call USAA and get a anwser! Im curious. You can accept the offer than combine two of your cards for a 50k limit

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called and they were a bit surprised.  They said there is a hard cap at $50k.  But they also said that their preapprovals are solid.  I'll pull the trigger tonight to see what happens.  

Message 5 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

Sorry to hi jack this thread but do you have to be in the military to join usaa? My dad was in the reserves during the Vietnam war and is eligible but can I use him? Thanks. I'd like to get in with them and get a car with them or nfcu In the future
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you do not have to be in the military or have a military affiliation to bank with USAA. However, you'll find that there is an expanded range of credit products available at better rates if you do have a military nexus. We call it full vs partial member.

I'd get your dad to join and then you follow as a family member. Once he signs up, he should look at some of their insurance products since, if I remember correctly, that's a condition of full membership. They have all types of insurance at usually great rates. You can just get some very inexpensive personal property insurance for a year and that should suffice.
Message 7 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

I applied as a partial member and they asked me my dads ssn so Im a member now lol... I would of really liked to be approved for their card but I don't have enough mortgage experience lol I'm 23 and I'm in no position to buy a house*

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The important thing is that you are in. When the time is right, you'll be in good shape to get what you need.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dodgeball wrote:

Did you call USAA and get a anwser! Im curious. You can accept the offer than combine two of your cards for a 50k limit

Pulled the trigger and got the hurry up and wait notice.  About 5 minutes later they called and said they have good news and bad news.  The good is that the card is approved.  The bad is that the CL is $0.  

They were very apologetic, but the maximum exposure is $50k.  They will recall the hard pull.  

I really don't mind since I don't need yet another card and I just pulled the trigger as an experiment.  And they were really nice when they called.  No harm, no foul.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.