Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Members - Seeking Input

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

USAA Members - Seeking Input

The only credit product I have with them is a MC at a high APR and $2000 limit.  Silly when I see it at this point in my credit journey.  I have the urge to cancel as I have never had the luv button show up.  I wonder if I should just app for a new card and take the HP to see if I get a better rate and limit?  What are your experiences or suggestions?

Like others I am looking at my portfolio and beginning to close the tail end of the credit limits.  TIA!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Members - Seeking Input

@BarryNTexas wrote:

The only credit product I have with them is a MC at a high APR and $2000 limit.  Silly when I see it at this point in my credit journey.  I have the urge to cancel as I have never had the luv button show up.  I wonder if I should just app for a new card and take the HP to see if I get a better rate and limit?  What are your experiences or suggestions?

Like others I am looking at my portfolio and beginning to close the tail end of the credit limits.  TIA!

My situation is almost the exact same thing.  $2k MC.  The CLI button shows up for me but I'm not willing to waste a HP on that card.  If you want a higher limit with them, I'd just apply for different card and then shut down the $2K one.  I love USAA and I have all my insurance and auto loan with them but their credit cards just dont excite me.  If you do go the new app route, Im positive you'll get a much higher rate and lower APR.

Message 2 of 17
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

I'm in the same situation that you were you might've stuck it $2500 with the highest APR they have  and they don't seem to be willing to help me out at all but I'd like to see what everybody else has to say about this. 

Message 3 of 17
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

My situation is almost the exact same thing.  $2k MC.  The CLI button shows up for me but I'm not willing to waste a HP on that card.  If you want a higher limit with them, I'd just apply for different card and then shut down the $2K one.  I love USAA and I have all my insurance and auto loan with them but their credit cards just dont excite me.  If you do go the new app route, Im positive you'll get a much higher rate and lower APR.

Thanks Irish... I'm actually leaning on closing and be done with them on credit products.  I do have a couple savings accounts started for grandkids there and will use them for insurance if my current provider ever falters.  I've been with them for 30 years so I'm a loyalty freak.  Ha!

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Message 4 of 17
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Thanks Irish... I'm actually leaning on closing and be done with them on credit products.  I do have a couple savings accounts started for grandkids there and will use them for insurance if my current provider ever falters.  I've been with them for 30 years so I'm a loyalty freak.  Ha!

You have been with USAA for 30 years I would definitely close that card if they are not willing to do anything more for you than that.  I've been USAA for 10 years and you see  where it's got me $2500 and the highest APR plus an annual fee. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

I have just about the same time with them and I totallly understand the loyalty part.  My credit tanked after a nasty divorce and they were the only major bank that would give me a card and a decent APR on a car loan.  I just wish they had better credit cards but nobody is perfect.

Message 6 of 17
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Saleen, Clarification - I've been with my current insurance guy for 30 years.  Re-reading that I mislead you.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My parents have been with them 30+ years, I'm on/off 20 yrs.  Had a stint where I couldn't use their Insurance products bc of where I lived.

Nonetheless, I'd app if there was something that caught my eye...the cash back for shopping on base...if not, you're an intelligent, well rounded person with, I might add, an impressive portfolio, closing that card would be far from the end of the world.  Quite saddened they haven't given an auto CLI. Smiley Sad  One would think you'd get one.

Their insurance has me a loyalist for life. 

If my credit building Classic doesn't graduate February 2017, I'm closing it. That's 18 months.

Message 8 of 17
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Saleen, Clarification - I've been with my current insurance guy for 30 years.  Re-reading that I mislead you.  Smiley Wink

LOL.  You had me ready to shut down my investment accounts  money market account checking account and savings account  and my credit card and move everything over there to Penn Fed a Navy federal. 

Message 9 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

My situation is similar to yours; while I have a card with USAA (and I'll be forever grateful for them giving me a chance) they are no longer competitive with my other cards on rewards or interest rate.  This being said, I still have a use for it.

I have my primary checking with USAA, and I use my Visa with them as my overdraft protection account.  While it's never had to 'kick in', it's nice knowing I've got that safety net.  Also, as you probably already know, USAA will give you a cash advance with no fee directly to your checking account.  Like you, I also have a card with NFCU, which has fee-free balance transfers.  Once again, I've never had to use it, but in a pinch I could take a cash advance from USAA, then immediately pay it off with a NFCU balance transfer all with no fees and with minimal interest (and giving me the great purchase rate on my Navy Fed card).

I realize my reasons for keeping a USAA card around are a bit 'cautionary', but it works for me, and since the card has no annual fee there's no harm.  Once my score changes significantly I might (?) see about getting a USAA card with a lower rate, but since I very seldom carry a balance there's no urgency there.

In your circumstances, I would respect your decision either way.  Good luck what ever you decide!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.