Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Members - Seeking Input

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Members - Seeking Input

I had the "Low Rate" card @ like 15.xx% and they would not lower it or give me a CLI. I applied for the same "Low Rate" card and got a CL that was almost 2x my original and the APR was 7.99. Seems the only way to do it is to apply for a new card. Same hit on inquiries but you take a bigger hit on the AAoA if you close the original card.

That is why I really do not understand why they make you apply for a new card to get better terms. Especially if it is the same product they should be able to do the same analysis and adjust your current product so you do not take an AAoA hit.....But then again, I guess they have no incentive to do so other than customer staisfaction....

Message 11 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@I had the "Low Rate" card @ like 15.xx% and they would not lower it or give me a CLI. I applied for the same "Low Rate" card and got a CL that was almost 2x my original and the APR was 7.99. Seems the only way to do it is to apply for a new card. Same hit on inquiries but you take a bigger hit on the AAoA if you close the original card.

That is why I really do not understand why they make you apply for a new card to get better terms. Especially if it is the same product they should be able to do the same analysis and adjust your current product so you do not take an AAoA hit.....But then again, I guess they have no incentive to do so other than customer staisfaction....

+1

I agree completely with everything you said.  In a strange 'twist', they are a bit like Capital One with the way they handle existing card holders (no APR reduction, etc.) but now that Capital One allows you to combine accounts USAA is actually a step behind.  I believe there was a time a few years ago when USAA would allow you to reallocate credit lines between cards, but that was well before I got my account with them (if the previous reports are true).

I am generally hesitant to speculate, but I suspect at some point credit line reallocation/combining might be offered.  Here's why... USAA is changing all their MasterCard accounts to visa (both credit and debit) so there are people who will end up with two identical products.  The FAQ states that merging/combining isn't possible and that members who presently have one of each will simply have multiple Visa cards after the conversion, but at some point they might decide to allow accounts to be 'combined' to alleviate this, especially since other issuers (i.e. Capital One) are able to do it.  Again, it's just a thought... I certainly have no information one way or another, but as you mention customer satisfaction is generally a big deal with them, so it would make sense.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@I had the "Low Rate" card @ like 15.xx% and they would not lower it or give me a CLI. I applied for the same "Low Rate" card and got a CL that was almost 2x my original and the APR was 7.99. Seems the only way to do it is to apply for a new card. Same hit on inquiries but you take a bigger hit on the AAoA if you close the original card.

+1

I agree completely with everything you said.  In a strange 'twist', they are a bit like Capital One with the way they handle existing card holders (no APR reduction, etc.) but now that Capital One allows you to combine accounts USAA is actually a step behind.  I believe there was a time a few years ago when USAA would allow you to reallocate credit lines between cards, but that was well before I got my account with them (if the previous reports are true).

I am generally hesitant to speculate, but I suspect at some point credit line reallocation/combining might be offered.  Here's why... USAA is changing all their MasterCard accounts to visa (both credit and debit) so there are people who will end up with two identical products.  The FAQ states that merging/combining isn't possible and that members who presently have one of each will simply have multiple Visa cards after the conversion, but at some point they might decide to allow accounts to be 'combined' to alleviate this, especially since other issuers (i.e. Capital One) are able to do it.  Again, it's just a thought... I certainly have no information one way or another, but as you mention customer satisfaction is generally a big deal with them, so it would make sense.

That sounds like it could be a possibility, I have a friend who works at USAA and I'll have to periodically bug them to see if anything comes down on guidance maybe once the swap-a-roo is done with MC to Visa...

Oz

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have insurance, checking and a CC with USAA.  I am at 1k with them for my card, not counting on it getting much bigger anytime soon.  I am focusing my efforts on building limits with NFCU because they clearly are more generous than USAA and just about any other bank for that matter.  I will get another card or two with NFCU and build my AMEX, and Cap One Venture One and leave the rest to sit for a couple of years.  Once my scores are upper 700s I will give them another shot and see if I can get something usable.

Message 14 of 17
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

They're very generous with HP CLI's in my experience.
Message 15 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yeah they've treated me well. I've only been a customer for 6 months. Their insurance has made me a lifer! Lol

HP cli wasn't bad IME. They doubled my SL from 7k to 14k a few weeks ago. I don't use the card all that much. It's only one of 4 MasterCards I have. And it has the highest limit.Planning to put a bunch of mortgage payments on it once plastq offers their 1.5% fee again. It's just my way if saying thanks for saving me so much on my insurance.
Message 16 of 17
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

My checking account and P&C insurance policies are all with USAA.  I signed up for their Mastercard out of high school (they had a student program that started with a $500 CL that went to $3k after 4 years).  I did get the rewards program when they started it up, but it is paltry compared to other products, so I use that card sparingly.  However, given it is my oldest TL and I have the legacy PIN-preferring card (at least until it expires in June, but long enough to take one more trip with it), I keep it open.  It also has an APR under 10% given the low rewards payout.  They hadn't increased my CL since graduation but when the CLI button appeared, I did it and was bumped up to $12k.  My brother did the same thing with his card (he keeps one card for simplicity and cares little about rewards) and had a similar boost.

I also have the AMEX from 2009 (when they offered 5% on gas & groceries for a year), but I might close that account at some point.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.