cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Now Opening Membership to Non-Miltary (w/exclusions)

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA Now Opening Membership to Non-Miltary (w/exclusions)

usmc58555 wrote:

Personally I do not see the point of being a second class citizen member of USAA.

Without access to the insurance products, Deposit at Home, the same interests rates Prime members get, and the same banking privledges/considerations, they really become just a common,  somewhat conservative in lending bank.

You would probably be better served by a credit union.

I really do not see USAA expanding insurance products to the unwashed masses as that is what gives them their considerable profit margin.

Now if USAA opened up banking with same terms rates and considerations as the Prime members, that would be a different story.

all vaild points, but i will respectfully disagree.  as i stated previously even their 'second class' versions of checking, savings and their one cc offering (mc) seem to meet or exceed many '1st class' offerings available from other prime banks imo.

the prospect of being able to gain full membership is another big draw for me, although i understand it is not clear if/when that will happen.  can't hurt to dream a little, can it?  it reminds me of when i was in school it became popular to sign up for nonmatriculant courses at harvard with hope of transitioning into degree candidate status at the university going forward... so close and yet so far, lol.

yes cu are great and i have a handful that do serve well, but usaa is a worthy alternate for me without question.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 31 of 56
tvholic
Established Member

I've been a "second class" USAA member since 1995, and they still won't let me have Deposit@Home or an upgraded credit card.  And I was in the military until 1993, but they won't cut me any slack on the eligibility cutoff dates.  So you might not want to hold your breath on that. Smiley Happy
Message 32 of 56
princeromeo
Regular Contributor

i applied today as a civilian funded the 25.00 and was not eligible to apply for anything even called three times all i could get was a saving and a checking account  how did you guys get a non miltary credit card it was not offered to me?
Message 33 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@princeromeo wrote:
i applied today as a civilian funded the 25.00 and was not eligible to apply for anything even called three times all i could get was a saving and a checking account  how did you guys get a non miltary credit card it was not offered to me?

As I said they are very conservative in their lending. Which is the reason I am scoffing at people rushing to open an account with them. The general population would be better served using a less conservative CU and are setting themselves up for disappointment running to USAA.
Message 34 of 56
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I'd like second usmc opinion.

If I am about to get at least the same service at my CU's and be eligible for every product why should I look for a place to be discremenated.

@Anonymous wrote:

@princeromeo wrote:

As I said they are very conservative in their lending. Which is the reason I am scoffing at people rushing to open an account with them. The general population would be better served using a less conservative CU and are setting themselves up for disappointment running to USAA.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 35 of 56
score_building
Senior Contributor

it is up to each individual where they want to bank/ apply for products.  the important thing is to know what you are gettting into and what is being offered so that one can make viable comparisons b4 making selections, that's all.

fielding other peoples' opinion about it based on their differing beliefs is extraneous.

Message 36 of 56
wmarat
Valued Contributor

That's my opinion, like it or not, which makes your remark pretty much extraneous.

@score_building wrote:

it is up to each individual where they want to bank/ apply for products.  the important thing is to know what you are gettting into and what is being offered so that one can make viable comparisons b4 making selections, that's all.

fielding other peoples' opinion about it based on their differing beliefs is extraneous.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 37 of 56
score_building
Senior Contributor

an individual can decide if they are interested in an account based on their review of the relative merits of the account and how it compares to other options.  no offense intended.  

usaa is an excellent option for me as non military and may or may not be a good choice for others.

Message 38 of 56
wmarat
Valued Contributor

No argument here.

None taken.

@score_building wrote:

an individual can decide if they are interested in an account based on their review of the relative merits of the account and how it compares to other options.  no offense intended.  

usaa is an excellent option for me as non military and may or may not be a good choice for others.

Message Edited by wmarat on 05-26-2009 08:10 PM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 39 of 56
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Even if I was able to get a full membership I am not sure I would want to deal with the possibility of being treated like a second class citizen. Has anyone who had used GEICO for car insurance seen a large drop in premiums when they switched to USAA?
Message 40 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.