Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Offer - Should I go for it?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: USAA Offer - Should I go for it?

@BarryNTexas wrote:

My stepfather who has passed away was a retired Airforce officer.  That's how I qualify as my mother still has accounts with USAA.  Going to NFCU website and doing qualification process I can't answer any of the questions yes... my stepfather was retired Airforce but never has had a account there or member number that I can link to.

This make sense?

many have been able to call in and do membership but you run a small chance that your account gets randomly screened for documents to prove membership.

Message 11 of 28
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

USAA has been great to deal with for me. They were the first to give me a multi-k credit line (4k when my highest was 700), and though I have never gotten anything with a sp, they have been generous with cli. And when I got my second card of theirs, they matched the cl of my first one automatically (plat went from 4k-7k-13k, and my wmc started at 13k). Their insurance products aren't too shabby either.....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 12 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

My stepfather who has passed away was a retired Airforce officer.  That's how I qualify as my mother still has accounts with USAA.  Going to NFCU website and doing qualification process I can't answer any of the questions yes... my stepfather was retired Airforce but never has had a account there or member number that I can link to.

This make sense?

many have been able to call in and do membership but you run a small chance that your account gets randomly screened for documents to prove membership.

+1...if you have the docs to prove he was married to Mom and retired military, I say go for it. You would have to call Nfcu though instead of apply online because you d.on't have sponsor number.

Message 13 of 28
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

We are full members.  My husbands grandfather got his mother in, and although she did not establish any accounts she had a member #, and thus if the chain of custody is there, you can get in.  I am confused as to how you would get a random offer for credit if you did not have a member # yet, I have not read before about anyone getting a PreQualification that is not tailored to a member.  It will show up in your acocunts page under My Offers in the online database.  Very strange, anyway, Yes their Pre Q is a near 100% approval. I have read that here and on other boards.

When you app, app for two cards(say your prequal is for a visa, do that and pick out say amex or mc and app for that too) even of the preapproval only is for the one, they will give you two apps for 1 HP, and they like to spread their exposure over several cards rather than just one. their max exposure is 50 K PP.  And, each time you do a CLI they will give you two clis for 1 HP.  CLI @ 6 Mo intervals give or take 6 months of statements, and you can do it from the phone app.  they have deposit by mobile and deposit by home, its really well rounded.  

They do almost nothing in paper form.  Their online website interface is the best I have ever ever used.  Every member you are associated with is tied to your account, and thus all of it is relative and accessable for usaa customer service.  

I have a 9 YO BK, they gave me 2 cards starting line 7K recently hit my CLI button and they went to 11K each.  They do lead the pack for sure.  NFCU is pretty exclusive, they have so many requirements for membership its unreal.  USAA is a bit better for that, in that you just need an established relative to get in.

Also Our insurance rates are the best we have ever had with them. We have a 1996 F350 with 150K miles on it, and we have full boat insurance,  I mean everything down to the rental car reimbursement, for two drivers, 1M/1M -for 85$ a month.  AAA had us at 15/30 for 200$ mo on the same vehicle. VAST difference.  

So good luck

Message 14 of 28
awp317
Frequent Contributor

USAA has been absolutly wonderful to me, They treat you well if you treat them well, and their customer service advisors are actually human. I want to garden for a year and let my mortgage settle down, then I want to apply for the 6.9% annual apr card they keep sending me offers for 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 15 of 28
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Baller,

I called NFCU and talked them through my situation.  They granted me membership and may in the future ask for documentation.  They shared what I would need to produce and I think I can get that. 

I funded the checking and savings.  What are the next step with getting their credit products.  I am thinking of waiting to request them after I have some med collections removed from my files... should increase my score.  They took my SSN so maybe they already did a SP or HP?

Tell how you would proceed.

BTW - everyone else, I still plan to approach USAA before end of Sept on their offer.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 16 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

Baller,

I called NFCU and talked them through my situation.  They granted me membership and may in the future ask for documentation.  They shared what I would need to produce and I think I can get that. 

I funded the checking and savings.  What are the next step with getting their credit products.  I am thinking of waiting to request them after I have some med collections removed from my files... should increase my score.  They took my SSN so maybe they already did a SP or HP?

Tell how you would proceed.

BTW - everyone else, I still plan to approach USAA before end of Sept on their offer.

they did hp already and I wouldn't wait and go ahead and apply for at least 1 credit card

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love USAA, i'm not eligible to be a full member but I have their checking and savings and couldn't be happier.

Message 18 of 28
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Wow - had no idea that setting up membership/checking/savings was a hard pull!  Thanks for the head up Creditaddict!

I applied for the NFCU Cash Reward Siggy Visa and was approved for $15K.  Amazing and really worth the HP!

Thanks

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 19 of 28
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!!!
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.