Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Offering EMV Chip and PIN [Updated with summary]

tag
kekrre
Contributor

USAA Offering EMV Chip and PIN [Updated with summary]

I just got off the phone with USAA. They're converting my USAA Platinum MasterCard to a Chip and PIN card (actual Chip and PIN, mind you, with an... actual PIN). I didn't really get any details on whether it was available for Visa or Amex cards (likely not?), but I was told

a) it will only come in the black design

b) it will have a PIN

c) I get one PIN for my account, including AUs/additional cards

d) I can't change the PIN myself

e) card number/rates/rewards will not change

The CSR was not aware of Chip/Sig (she confused it with Visa Signature, which she said "we're beginning to offer to qualified accounts"). I commented that perhaps it was because a large part of their customer base is deployed in Europe and needs maximum compatibility - she agreed this makes sense.

Update: Summary of conflicting information

Looks like we have confirmed:

• Chip-and-PIN with magstripe (from PDF)
 • Available on request only - existing users are not being automatically upgraded at this time
 • No changes to product (account number, rewards, rates, etc.) (from PDF)
 • PIN is not user changeable - not know whether this is because there is no infrastructure in the US to do it or if it is hard coded to the chip
 • PIN is the same for all cards issued to your account (from my CSR conversation)
 • PIN can be used for PIN-pad transactions and as cash advance ATM PIN (from PDF)

Semi-confirmed:

• Looks like Mastercard only - Amex may be in a few months, nobody has commented about Visa availability

•-• Some members were promised an Amex EMV card - we'll see what happens
 • I was told that if I needed to change the PIN, I would have to get a new card

Unknown:

• Valid for all Mastercards, just Rewards/Cash/Rate Advantage or just Rewards/Cash back products
 • Preference for Chip/Sig over Chip/PIN purchases when making purchases
 • Availability for partial versus full members

|||||||
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
greeneman21
Contributor

Re: USAA Offering EMV Chip and PIN

Good to know, did the rep express when this would take effect?

Is it only good for MC? or will Visa receive the same treatment?

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 2 of 52
kekrre
Contributor

@greeneman21 wrote:

Good to know, did the rep express when this would take effect?

Is it only good for MC? or will Visa receive the same treatment?

I didn't think to ask about Visa/Amex, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I also didn't ask if it was available for debit cards either (probably not).

I was told it would take 10 days to get my card and PIN packet and that they'd been offering it "for a few weeks". They haven't advertised it at all that I'm aware and I only heard about it through somebody on another forum. The rep immediately knew what I was asking for.

|||||||
Message 3 of 52
greeneman21
Contributor

Hmmm, ok I'll call USAA and find out about the others as well and will post.

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 4 of 52
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

what is a chip and pin?

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 5 of 52
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

what is a chip and pin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

Message 6 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Most excellent news in my opinion Smiley Happy  I didn't get one with the recent Platinum MC I opened, hopefully can switch in the semi-near future.

        
Message 7 of 52
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Just FYI, this is chip and pin only, no magnetic strip. So it will not work in much of us. You get this IN ADDITION to the mag strip card. Kind of a pain, but will work until chase gets off their butts and issues csp with emv. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 52
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Just FYI, this is chip and pin only, no magnetic strip. So it will not work in much of us. You get this IN ADDITION to the mag strip card. Kind of a pain, but will work until chase gets off their butts and issues csp with emv. 

Weird, and annoying.  Oh well it was the safety net in case I get sent off to Europe which I suppose it'll still do just fine.

        
Message 9 of 52
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Like I said on previous post Chip and Pin is a UK thing if your sent to Italy or Germany as a service member your exisisting credit cards are the norm.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.