Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

Re: USAA Offering EMV Chip and PIN

Do they still charge the 1% foreign transaction fee?   If so, then I don't think this is the best chip + pin card to get.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Contributor
kekrre

[ Edited ]

DaveSignal wrote:

Do they still charge the 1% foreign transaction fee?   If so, then I don't think this is the best chip + pin card to get.

I think this makes it the most widely available Chip+PIN card available in the US at the moment. I think anybody can get the USAA Rewards/Cash Rewards, even without military affiliation, although they may pay a higher interest rate. Of course, I don't know if EMV is available to partial members...

Even though it charges 1% FTF, presumably you can carry it to use at unattended kiosks where Chip/Sig fails and as a backup to a 0% FTF swipe or Chip/Sig card. You'll probably lose more money fighting with dynamic currency conversion.

Super Contributor
Ron1

I just got an emial to cofirm the conversion of Chip and PIN card.

Here it is:

USAA Chip and PIN1.jpg

Valued Contributor
Swapmeet

Will someone please post a pic of the card. I will switch, but only if it looks cool... I don't spend much time in the UK. But if it has a certain sexiness about it, then I'm in.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Contributor
kekrre

Swapmeet wrote:

Will someone please post a pic of the card. I will switch, but only if it looks cool... I don't spend much time in the UK. But if it has a certain sexiness about it, then I'm in.

It's the "classic" all black card with a chip. The Platinum version says "Platinum" in an ugly script on the upper right corner of the card instead of "World". This is the only option that appears when I click "request new card" in my account now:

Valued Contributor
Swapmeet

That is pretty pimpish....I don't have the world card, so I would have to settle for the "ugly platinum"....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Established Contributor
dodgeball

I like the card looks very good 

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Frequent Contributor
nyancat

dodgeball wrote:

Like I said on previous post Chip and Pin is a UK thing if your sent to Italy or Germany as a service member your exisisting credit cards are the norm.

That's totally not true, every country except the US is EMV with almost all countries being mostly PIN authentication.

American Express Costco TrueEarnings - $8,300; American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $5,000; American Express Delta Gold - $7,300; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Arrival+ - $5,000; Citi Forward - $5,800 and $4,500; Chase British Airways - $14,500; Discover It - $4,500
Regular Contributor
McArthur

[ Edited ]

nyancat wrote:

dodgeball wrote:

Like I said on previous post Chip and Pin is a UK thing if your sent to Italy or Germany as a service member your exisisting credit cards are the norm.

That's totally not true, every country except the US is EMV with almost all countries being mostly PIN authentication.

False.  Chip & PIN is virtually nonexistent in Asia and South America.  Not sure about Germany or Italy, but Dodge has firsthand experience there I believe.

Regular Contributor
McArthur

Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Just FYI, this is chip and pin only, no magnetic strip. So it will not work in much of us. You get this IN ADDITION to the mag strip card. Kind of a pain, but will work until chase gets off their butts and issues csp with emv. 

USAA has a FAQ on the chip and PIN card on their website.  The card has a magnetic stripe to be used in the US.  The old card will be invalid once the new one is activated.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}