Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Offering EMV Chip and PIN [Updated with summary]

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA Offering EMV Chip and PIN

Do they still charge the 1% foreign transaction fee?   If so, then I don't think this is the best chip + pin card to get.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 31 of 52
kekrre
Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Do they still charge the 1% foreign transaction fee?   If so, then I don't think this is the best chip + pin card to get.

I think this makes it the most widely available Chip+PIN card available in the US at the moment. I think anybody can get the USAA Rewards/Cash Rewards, even without military affiliation, although they may pay a higher interest rate. Of course, I don't know if EMV is available to partial members...

Even though it charges 1% FTF, presumably you can carry it to use at unattended kiosks where Chip/Sig fails and as a backup to a 0% FTF swipe or Chip/Sig card. You'll probably lose more money fighting with dynamic currency conversion.

|||||||
Message 32 of 52
Ron1
Super Contributor

I just got an emial to cofirm the conversion of Chip and PIN card.

Here it is:

USAA Chip and PIN1.jpg

Message 33 of 52
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Will someone please post a pic of the card. I will switch, but only if it looks cool... I don't spend much time in the UK. But if it has a certain sexiness about it, then I'm in.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 34 of 52
kekrre
Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

Will someone please post a pic of the card. I will switch, but only if it looks cool... I don't spend much time in the UK. But if it has a certain sexiness about it, then I'm in.

It's the "classic" all black card with a chip. The Platinum version says "Platinum" in an ugly script on the upper right corner of the card instead of "World". This is the only option that appears when I click "request new card" in my account now:

|||||||
Message 35 of 52
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

That is pretty pimpish....I don't have the world card, so I would have to settle for the "ugly platinum"....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 36 of 52
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I like the card looks very good 

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 37 of 52
nyancat
Established Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

Like I said on previous post Chip and Pin is a UK thing if your sent to Italy or Germany as a service member your exisisting credit cards are the norm.

That's totally not true, every country except the US is EMV with almost all countries being mostly PIN authentication.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 38 of 52
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

Like I said on previous post Chip and Pin is a UK thing if your sent to Italy or Germany as a service member your exisisting credit cards are the norm.

That's totally not true, every country except the US is EMV with almost all countries being mostly PIN authentication.

False.  Chip & PIN is virtually nonexistent in Asia and South America.  Not sure about Germany or Italy, but Dodge has firsthand experience there I believe.

Message 39 of 52
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Just FYI, this is chip and pin only, no magnetic strip. So it will not work in much of us. You get this IN ADDITION to the mag strip card. Kind of a pain, but will work until chase gets off their butts and issues csp with emv. 

USAA has a FAQ on the chip and PIN card on their website.  The card has a magnetic stripe to be used in the US.  The old card will be invalid once the new one is activated.

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.