Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA-Partial Members Only

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA-Partial Members Only

I tried as a partial member but was denied due to the two baddies I have.

They pulled EQ for me which is the cleanest...will try them again next year when the two baddies fall off.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 21 of 34
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@awal wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

You cannot get thier secured card as a partial member. I emailed them about this 2 days ago and they responded with that I have to be a full member. FYI.

This must be a new policy. I have a secured USAA card & I'm a partial member. The card is about 10 months old. I dont have any other account or affiliation with them.

You could be one of the few that slipped through. They have admitted that some ppl do/did get past their requirements. Your acceptance is not the norm.

Message 22 of 34
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Partial members get access to 3 credit cards....: 

USAA1.png

Whereas a Full Members gets access to...:

USAA2.jpg

Full members also get access to things like their P&C products, and as a partial member, nothing will ever show up in your "My Offers" tab with the exception of the generic mutual fund things. 

Message 23 of 34
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

I joined USAA as a partial member this past Spring, applied for their Mastercard in August and was instantly approved.

CL - $12,000

APR - 23.9% Smiley Surprised

Equifax pull, score = 730

I was surprised at the interest rate, but that's pretty typical for partial members.  No problem - I simply pay in full and use it to benefit utilization.  Also, as a partial member you are limited in the products/services you are eligible to receive.  I was interested in their auto loans a couple of months ago (currently advertised as 1.49%), but as a partial member I'm not eligible.  

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 24 of 34
Mellon
Established Contributor

@TNTransplant wrote:

I joined USAA as a partial member this past Spring, applied for their Mastercard in August and was instantly approved.

CL - $12,000

APR - 23.9% Smiley Surprised

Equifax pull, score = 730

I was surprised at the interest rate, but that's pretty typical for partial members.  No problem - I simply pay in full and use it to benefit utilization.  Also, as a partial member you are limited in the products/services you are eligible to receive.  I was interested in their auto loans a couple of months ago (currently advertised as 1.49%), but as a partial member I'm not eligible.  

wow.. that is a great CL..congrats

Message 25 of 34
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

..snip..

Actually bahbahd, your parents are eligable as are you with a grandfather who served.  You may have to walk through a bit of process to establish it, but you can absolutely get full membership.  USAA isn't as challenging to obtain membership in as NFCU.

..snip..

This is news to me and is not consistent with the USAA website eligibility check.  According to the website, having a parent (or grandparent) who served doesn't qualify you for full membership - they must have actually used an insurance or loan product from USAA.  My father served, but at the time he served USAA was for officers only, and he was enlisted, so he never used any of there products.

Do you have information or evidence anecdotal or otherwise to substantiate your statement?  I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks

Message 26 of 34
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@dogmeat wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

..snip..

Actually bahbahd, your parents are eligable as are you with a grandfather who served.  You may have to walk through a bit of process to establish it, but you can absolutely get full membership.  USAA isn't as challenging to obtain membership in as NFCU.

..snip..

This is news to me and is not consistent with the USAA website eligibility check.  According to the website, having a parent (or grandparent) who served doesn't qualify you for full membership - they must have actually used an insurance or loan product from USAA.  My father served, but at the time he served USAA was for officers only, and he was enlisted, so he never used any of there products.

Do you have information or evidence anecdotal or otherwise to substantiate your statement?  I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks

This aligns with what I have heard also, but I am not 100% sure of current policy.  

Message 27 of 34
Mellon
Established Contributor

@bahbahd wrote:

@dogmeat wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

..snip..

..snip..

Thanks

This aligns with what I have heard also, but I am not 100% sure of current policy.  

I agree.. if there is another confirmed way to full membership I would like to know..lol

Message 28 of 34
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

*Wonders why NFCU doesn't offer "partial" membership*

Guess cuz NFCU is a CU and USAA is (used to be) a Member Only bank.

Sucks :/

I want NFCU.

Message 29 of 34
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

*Wonders why NFCU doesn't offer "partial" membership*

Guess cuz NFCU is a CU and USAA is (used to be) a Member Only bank.

Sucks :/

I want NFCU.

I would love to know if there would be some specific way that we could join ???? 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.