Valued Contributor
injustifiiable

Re: USAA-Partial Members Only

I tried as a partial member but was denied due to the two baddies I have.

They pulled EQ for me which is the cleanest...will try them again next year when the two baddies fall off.

Scores 6/17/2014: TU FICO: 643 | EQ FICO: 675 | EX AMEX FICO: 666

In my new wallet: American Express Premier Rewards Gold EMV: NPSL | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $1500 | Amazon Rewards Visa: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1250 | Target: $400 | J.Crew $5950
Established Contributor
bahbahd

awal wrote:

madmann26 wrote:

You cannot get thier secured card as a partial member. I emailed them about this 2 days ago and they responded with that I have to be a full member. FYI.

This must be a new policy. I have a secured USAA card & I'm a partial member. The card is about 10 months old. I dont have any other account or affiliation with them.

You could be one of the few that slipped through. They have admitted that some ppl do/did get past their requirements. Your acceptance is not the norm.

Senior Contributor
jsucool76

Partial members get access to 3 credit cards....: 

USAA1.png

Whereas a Full Members gets access to...:

USAA2.jpg

Full members also get access to things like their P&C products, and as a partial member, nothing will ever show up in your "My Offers" tab with the exception of the generic mutual fund things. 

Established Contributor
TNTransplant

[ Edited ]

I joined USAA as a partial member this past Spring, applied for their Mastercard in August and was instantly approved.

CL - $12,000

APR - 23.9% :smileysurprised:

Equifax pull, score = 730

I was surprised at the interest rate, but that's pretty typical for partial members.  No problem - I simply pay in full and use it to benefit utilization.  Also, as a partial member you are limited in the products/services you are eligible to receive.  I was interested in their auto loans a couple of months ago (currently advertised as 1.49%), but as a partial member I'm not eligible.  

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Frequent Contributor
Mellon

TNTransplant wrote:

I joined USAA as a partial member this past Spring, applied for their Mastercard in August and was instantly approved.

CL - $12,000

APR - 23.9% :smileysurprised:

Equifax pull, score = 730

I was surprised at the interest rate, but that's pretty typical for partial members.  No problem - I simply pay in full and use it to benefit utilization.  Also, as a partial member you are limited in the products/services you are eligible to receive.  I was interested in their auto loans a couple of months ago (currently advertised as 1.49%), but as a partial member I'm not eligible.  

wow.. that is a great CL..congrats

| NFCU Cashrewards $14,000 | NFCU Platinum $12,000 | NFCU Navchk $10,000 | Amex BCE $3,000 | Amex HHonors $1,700 | Chase Freedom $3,300 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000 | BOA 3-2-1 $5,000 | Barclays Apple $4,450 | CapOne Quicksilver $1,000 | OCCU Beaver $5,000 | CITI Diamond Preferred $2,500| Citi TYP $5,000 | GTE FCU $3,000 | | Discover IT $3,500 | Walmart Discover $8,000 | NCSECU $750 | NASA FCU $2,000| Chase Slate $4,000 | Barclays Reward MC $1,500| Best Buy $3,000 | Wells Fargo $3,000 | Chase Amazon $3,000
dogmeat

[ Edited ]

Revelate wrote:

..snip..

Actually bahbahd, your parents are eligable as are you with a grandfather who served.  You may have to walk through a bit of process to establish it, but you can absolutely get full membership.  USAA isn't as challenging to obtain membership in as NFCU.

..snip..

This is news to me and is not consistent with the USAA website eligibility check.  According to the website, having a parent (or grandparent) who served doesn't qualify you for full membership - they must have actually used an insurance or loan product from USAA.  My father served, but at the time he served USAA was for officers only, and he was enlisted, so he never used any of there products.

Do you have information or evidence anecdotal or otherwise to substantiate your statement?  I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks

Established Contributor
bahbahd

dogmeat wrote:

Revelate wrote:

..snip..

Actually bahbahd, your parents are eligable as are you with a grandfather who served.  You may have to walk through a bit of process to establish it, but you can absolutely get full membership.  USAA isn't as challenging to obtain membership in as NFCU.

..snip..

This is news to me and is not consistent with the USAA website eligibility check.  According to the website, having a parent (or grandparent) who served doesn't qualify you for full membership - they must have actually used an insurance or loan product from USAA.  My father served, but at the time he served USAA was for officers only, and he was enlisted, so he never used any of there products.

Do you have information or evidence anecdotal or otherwise to substantiate your statement?  I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks

This aligns with what I have heard also, but I am not 100% sure of current policy.  

Frequent Contributor
Mellon

bahbahd wrote:

dogmeat wrote:

Revelate wrote:

..snip..

..snip..

Thanks

This aligns with what I have heard also, but I am not 100% sure of current policy.  

I agree.. if there is another confirmed way to full membership I would like to know..lol

| NFCU Cashrewards $14,000 | NFCU Platinum $12,000 | NFCU Navchk $10,000 | Amex BCE $3,000 | Amex HHonors $1,700 | Chase Freedom $3,300 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000 | BOA 3-2-1 $5,000 | Barclays Apple $4,450 | CapOne Quicksilver $1,000 | OCCU Beaver $5,000 | CITI Diamond Preferred $2,500| Citi TYP $5,000 | GTE FCU $3,000 | | Discover IT $3,500 | Walmart Discover $8,000 | NCSECU $750 | NASA FCU $2,000| Chase Slate $4,000 | Barclays Reward MC $1,500| Best Buy $3,000 | Wells Fargo $3,000 | Chase Amazon $3,000
Established Contributor
ccnewcc

*Wonders why NFCU doesn't offer "partial" membership*

Guess cuz NFCU is a CU and USAA is (used to be) a Member Only bank.

Sucks :/

I want NFCU.

Valued Contributor
nicholasyud

ccnewcc wrote:

*Wonders why NFCU doesn't offer "partial" membership*

Guess cuz NFCU is a CU and USAA is (used to be) a Member Only bank.

Sucks :/

I want NFCU.

I would love to know if there would be some specific way that we could join ???? 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 9k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 3.4k|Cap: 3.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 5k| Pen:4.5k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}