Revelate

Re: USAA Platinum Rewards Visa Offer

jsucool76 wrote:
@revelate

I did get an email from them like that but as a partial member I dont get anything under my offers :-(

This was under the standard featured offers, that used to list things for me like USAA CMS and the ubiquitous Car Buying Service and others.

I was a little surprised by this (actually somewhat shocked even) when I read the fine print that I'd just been completely ignoring.   Out of curiosity what sort of accounts do you have with them as a partial member?

PNP: Limits > APR usually, and even 15 and change isn't bad compared to many other credit cards; however, it's not a great card to be carrying a balance on admittedly.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
jsucool76

Atm i just have checking. I opened in the hopes they'd eventually be like "thanks, have a $1,000,000 CL on this card, you're such a great customer!!!!!" xD
Wallet: Capital One Cash Rewards 3500CL, Wells Fargo Cash Back College Visa: 900CL, Paypal Smart Connect: 1286CL, Walmart Discover: 2000CL, UPromise Mastercard: 1000CL, Chase Slate: 500CL, Discover IT: 2000CL, Citi Forward: 1500CL, Bank Of America Student Travel Rewards: 700CL
Revelate

[ Edited ]

jsucool76 wrote:
Atm i just have checking. I opened in the hopes they'd eventually be like "thanks, have a $1,000,000 CL on this card, you're such a great customer!!!!!" xD

Any idea if they're softing your reports?  In my case I have a secured CD loan through them which hit it's sixth payment, and recently re-established my auto insurance with them.  I suppose either could've triggered it though they're not allowed to pull my credit for insurance I don't think in CA.

Leaning towards taking it after I get my car refinanced, want the tradeline eventually anyway, it's a way better forex card than I have currently which may come in handy really soon, and it's probably better to take the inquiry now with the throetical mortgage next summer than in December when I was originally planning a quick spree.

Edit: I see it's in another part of their site now too.  I think this may have been triggered by something else rather than their email, especially if others aren't seeing the same.  Now even when I log out there's a little "click me to accept offer!" panel in the bottom right of my browser, and I'm near 100% confident that hasn't been there previously.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
jsucool76

[ Edited ]

Edit: Whoops, hit "post" before I even typed anything

Def sounds like a pre-approval as opposed to a targeted offer /solicitation. When in doubt my motto is "call and ask!" I wish I was in your situation, I was mildly upset when I found out I couldn't get anything under "My Offers" on the website as a partial member D: 

Wallet: Capital One Cash Rewards 3500CL, Wells Fargo Cash Back College Visa: 900CL, Paypal Smart Connect: 1286CL, Walmart Discover: 2000CL, UPromise Mastercard: 1000CL, Chase Slate: 500CL, Discover IT: 2000CL, Citi Forward: 1500CL, Bank Of America Student Travel Rewards: 700CL
Frequent Contributor
WhiteCollar

I have savings and credit monitoring with them. My CSP is at 15% so I'd rather have the prestige of the CSP card versus a USAA card. 

Established Contributor
TNTransplant

PrettyNPink wrote:

I'm happy someone brought this up. I too am a partial member and was thinking about apping for a USAA card because they offer really generous CL's. However, I'm concerned about the APR. I know they offer cards to full members with APR's as low as 5.9% but I think partial members APR's start as low 15.9% per the website. Can any half members confirm having APR's lower than 15.9% on your USAA CC accounts?

Thanks!

I am a partial member, and I have never seen anything under the My Offers tab.  However, I went ahead and applied for the USAA Platinum Mastercard last month and was instantly approved with a CL of $12,000.  I chose them because of their reported high initial CL, and it was true in my case - this was my first card with a 5-digit CL.  I was also tempted by their 15.9% interest offer, but did not get it - rate is 20% variable!  :smileysurprised:  They pulled EQ, and my score was a 727.  Not sure why I got the bad interest rate, but may have been due to overall utilization at just over 30%.

Oh well, I've got myself into the PIF mode now so the interest won't really be an issue.  On a positive note, this card will help immensely with my overall utilization, and will hopefully prompt my other creditors to increase current limits. :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+