Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Preapproval - Should I?

tag
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

USAA Preapproval - Should I?

I haven't used CC's in years, but decided I needed some revolving credit to help my score.  So, I app'd for Orchard in August and got it with a $300 CL.  Startled, I checked out my scores, visited whogavemecredit.com and app'd with Wells Fargo (I bank with Wachovia, which was acquired by WF).  Bam! Visa with $13K CL. Made me wish I had started with them.  Not long after, I app'd with AMEX and got their Gold Card.  So, now here I am stuck with a low CL subprime card with an AF.  I had already decided ask them for an AF waiver when my time comes up and close it if not granted.  But really, why do I want the Orchard card at all?

Anyway, I was thinking I need another major bank card - reading the forums suggest 3-4.  So, do I go with the USAA?  I feel sure they'll give me higher than a stinkin' $300 CL.  I could also go with NFCU - I'm an Army Reservist with 16+ years and a tour in Iraq, so I can open an account with them.

Any ideas from you experienced credit gurus out there?

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Amnesia87
Contributor

Re: USAA Preapproval - Shoud I?

USAA is a great bank awesome customer service, that said, the cards are just okay, you may want to look into this Penfed card:

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/creditCards/RewardCards.asp?cmpid=site-128355-PlatCashReward...

5% cash back on gas, better than pretty much all gas cards.

It's pretty much the best cash rewards card you can find and it's a Millitary Credit Union.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Both USAA and NFCU are great!

USAA may be inquiry averse, but also takes into account your history with them.  You might want to call and speak with someone to see if it's worth burning an INQ.

NFCU is also good, you might be OK as a new member applying for credit as well as opening an account.

Both USAA and NFCU pulled EQ for me.  It sounds like you already have 3 inquiries this year - were they all on EQ?  If you don't have an immediate urgent need for credit you may want to wait a bit to let both your inquiries and AAOA age..

Your three cards should be good for score as long as only one reports a balance each month, and no utilization above 9%.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Smug
Established Contributor

Yes, they are awesome.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 4 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

All are awesome.  I'd app in this order:

Pen Fed

USAA

NFCU

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Preapproval - Should I?

I would only app PenFed if you want to get rejected and waste an inquiry.

PenFed is extremely inquiry and new account sensitive which results in the infamous rejection for "pyramiding debt".

If you have a USAA preapproval, it's virtually a sure thing.  NFCU is also pretty good and not that sensitive to inquiries or new accounts.

Message 6 of 8
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would only app PenFed if you want to get rejected and waste an inquiry.

PenFed is extremely inquiry and new account sensitive which results in the infamous rejection for "pyramiding debt".

If you have a USAA preapproval, it's virtually a sure thing.  NFCU is also pretty good and not that sensitive to inquiries or new accounts.

+1

'Spot on' !

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 7 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

If serious about Pen Fed, it's clearly never about applying when unprepared...assuming OP wants Pen Fed the whole idea is to wait until app ready w/o submitting any other app and then do USAA and NFCU sometime after securing Pen Fed acct(s) if interested in diversifying with some of the best lenders out there. 

Certainly worth repeating again, but some cursory research about Pen Fed reveals one has to be app ready (no/ low:  inq, and new accts., low uti., etc.) since it is probably the most difficult CU to get loans with:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PenFed-Credit-Union-APP-results-and-FICO-SURVEY/m-p/476...

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.