Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Preferred Cash Rewards World Mastercard

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

USAA Preferred Cash Rewards World Mastercard

I noticed that USAA has this new card. I have the "standard" world MC with the craptastic tiered rewards, and the Preferred card has a flat 1.5% cash back. The interest rate starts a little higher but if you're paying it off and doing the rewards game that's not an issue.

So I called and asked about doing a product change but they said they can't PC the one to the other; I would have to just apply for the new card. I'm not in the mood for the ding on my score from the hard pull and the new credit so I said no for now. The agent tried to feed me a line about how they have to do a HP because of the different APR buy I'm not buying it. Check my score so you can charge me more interest? I don't think so.

I might call back and try another agent. If I could PC then it would become my go-to card for all the non special category purchases. If I had to apply for a new card the old one would become obsolete and useless and I would probably wind up closing it to reduce clutter. Heck, it's already obsolete, the only reason I keep it open is for overdraft protection on my checking account, and because it has a high limit and long history.

I'll try agaon tomorrow and see if anyone can make that happen.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Re: USAA Preferred Cash Rewards World Mastercard

@LTomBerry wrote:

I noticed that USAA has this new card. I have the "standard" world MC with the craptastic tiered rewards, and the Preferred card has a flat 1.5% cash back. The interest rate starts a little higher but if you're paying it off and doing the rewards game that's not an issue.

So I called and asked about doing a product change but they said they can't PC the one to the other; I would have to just apply for the new card. I'm not in the mood for the ding on my score from the hard pull and the new credit so I said no for now. The agent tried to feed me a line about how they have to do a HP because of the different APR buy I'm not buying it. Check my score so you can charge me more interest? I don't think so.

I might call back and try another agent. If I could PC then it would become my go-to card for all the non special category purchases. If I had to apply for a new card the old one would become obsolete and useless and I would probably wind up closing it to reduce clutter. Heck, it's already obsolete, the only reason I keep it open is for overdraft protection on my checking account, and because it has a high limit and long history.

I'll try agaon tomorrow and see if anyone can make that happen.

They wouldn't let me do a PC to another card either.  They didn't give me a real reason besides something like "we don't do product changes, please apply for another card instead!"

Message 2 of 10
Leadberry
Established Contributor

USAA does not do product changes. Also, note that rewards are only paid out once a year with that card.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not get Citi Double Cash or even Cap1 QS for that matter?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

comparing cap 1 to USAA, lol. I know we are talking about rewards and my view might be jaded but I can't imagin cap 1 and usaa being cross shopped...

I will say that I find the once a year rewards with USAA annoying but I still get all my CB at the begining of the year, it is not like I need the CB money to live.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

comparing cap 1 to USAA, lol. I know we are talking about rewards and my view might be jaded but I can't imagin cap 1 and usaa being cross shopped...

I will say that I find the once a year rewards with USAA annoying but I still get all my CB at the begining of the year, it is not like I need the CB money to live.

Well I brought up Citi also. And who cares about USAA in this instance. It's about rewards. 2% back on DC monthly or 1.5% back on QS instantly. The card OP currently has has "craptastic" rewards and he/she can't PC. And the 1.5% cash back on the USAA and having to wait all year is pretty lame compared to other options. How about Fidelity Amex then?

Message 6 of 10
racer-x
Valued Contributor

USAA is gettting a lot of negative reviews/rants about them....

Check out their 'community' on the website.....It's not a good trend for USAA.

Message 7 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yeah nothing but negative comments on Facebook as well. I had considered using them for my main bank after dumping Wells Fargo but all the horror stories about paychecks being held for 10 days changed my mind. Smiley Frustrated
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Yeah nothing but negative comments on Facebook as well. I had considered using them for my main bank after dumping Wells Fargo but all the horror stories about paychecks being held for 10 days changed my mind. Smiley Frustrated

USAA's value is in what they're good with and that's insurance.  I have every bit of insurance they have but other than a low limit cc and my car loan, I stick my money elsewhere (NFCU).  I think between check and savings I have $65 tn USAA accounts.  They're just not good with banking products.

Message 9 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

USAA's value is in what they're good with and that's insurance.  I have every bit of insurance they have but other than a low limit cc and my car loan, I stick my money elsewhere (NFCU).  I think between check and savings I have $65 tn USAA accounts.  They're just not good with banking products.

I do the same I have enough to cover my credit card and that's it

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.