Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Recon?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

USAA Recon?

Is there a backdoor number for USAA? The Backdoor thread only has a number for secured cards.

I tried calling the 800# on the website and asking for the "credit card" dept. The guy who answered just said that they don't have info about why I was declined because they're not a credit bureau. Really??? What dept. or number/extension do you call for a recon?

Also, I was wondering how you call for a recon. What do you tell the rep? Do you ask for underwriting?

Thanks!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA Recon?

I just called and spoke w/a diff rep in CC dept. This is what she said:

She has NO info about why I was declined

She can't access my app or do anything to approve me for credit (i.e. they don't do recons.)

All I can do is wait 6 to 12 mos and reapply

I thought people on this forum have done recons through USAA, but maybe I was mistaken. If anyone has any info that would be helpful, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

If USAA is like anywhere else, you ask for a credit anaylist and ask the anaylist for a manual review.
Message 3 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

That's what's so confusing... I spoke w/several reps, incl 2 in the CC dept., and there doesn't appear to be a way to recon. I thought people here have talked about it, but that may have been a diff CCC and I'm remembering wrong.

I guess I shouldn't have taken the chance. Now my EQ has 3 inquiries, and one of the reasons for decline was "too many inquiries," which when they pulled was only 2. Hmmm. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Would really appreciate knowing if anyone has recon'd w/USAA and/or if there is a number or extension/dept. to call.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 28
john398
Senior Contributor

You should ask to talk to one of the underwriters

Message 5 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

The rep in the CC dept. said that I couldn't speak w/underwriting dept.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

bichonmom,

You are correct, USAA will not allow you to speak to an underwriter.  Did they mention that they are sending a LOE on the reason for your denial?  Most CC companies who deny you will send one out explaining the reasons for your denial.

What's your credit score and report look like, any negatives?  Were they recent, old?

Message 7 of 28
john398
Senior Contributor

Wow they must of changed there policy, looking back at old threads people were able to talk to an underwriter

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-for-USAA/m-p/206495#M68516

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or maybe it is just reliant on who exactly you talk to.  Those posts you just mentioned are 3 years old.  I was also denied the privilege of speaking to an underwriter but again, maybe this isn't the case for all.  I guess if someone has spoken to an underwriter recently with USAA, let us know how you did it.

Message 9 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, I don't know. I just read through all of the posts in that thread and it doesn't look like they really did them back then either. I think one person was claiming that they got a recon but others were told they don't do it.

I could have sworn that I had read recent posts where people were declined for USAA and called in for a recon (or a larger CL). I must have gotten USAA mixed up with another bank or CU. Shoot. Smiley Mad

If anyone does know how to contact USAA for a recon, please let me know.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.