Valued Member
chadwick

USAA Rewards vs Cash

Hi! Got approved for a USAA Rewards MC (happy dance) and I'm curious what everyone thinks is better: the rewards points program or good ol' cashback?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: USAA Rewards vs Cash

chadwick wrote:

Hi! Got approved for a USAA Rewards MC (happy dance) and I'm curious what everyone thinks is better: the rewards points program or good ol' cashback?

Congrats 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Valued Contributor
DigitalArk

I switched from cash to usaa rewards. With usaa rewards, you can see how many points you have earned and keep track of it, but not with cash rewards.

Established Contributor
ezdoesit

DigitalArk wrote:
I switched from cash to usaa rewards. With usaa rewards, you can see how many points you have earned and keep track of it, but not with cash rewards.

I have both opened within a month of each other. I like the rewards program better for the same reason as above even though the program redemption is not that good.  Its ok but 1 cent per point on cash back over 20k points but like .7 per point on gift cards is terrible. 

It does does give you 2x on gas and grocery so it really is higher than 1 cent and .7 cents on that alone.

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

ezdoesit wrote:

DigitalArk wrote:

I have both opened within a month of each other. I like the rewards program better for the same reason as above even though the program redemption is not that good.  Its ok but 1 cent per point on cash back over 20k points but like .7 per point on gift cards is terrible. 

It does does give you 2x on gas and grocery so it really is higher than 1 cent and .7 cents on that alone.

The 2x is only for the USAA AmEx, afaik.   I have the point rewards card.  points > cash, but I actually only use this card for paying my car / renter's insurance once a month. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:701
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Valued Contributor
takeshi74

[ Edited ]

I prefer cash back.  It's really a subjective matter.  The rewards structure seems a bit better but I just didn't want to deal with points.  My USAA cards are pretty much sock drawer cards these days though as USAA's rewards -- whether cash or points -- really aren't that great overall compared to the other options out there.

DigitalArk wrote:

My cash back earned is clearly listed to the right of my account details for each of my cash back cards.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+