Re: USAA Secured VISA®: Should I?

See next post.

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Secured Master: Should I?

@Anonymous wrote:

^+1. 

Different places accept different Networks, biggest example is Costco.  You currently need an AmEx to shop there so you Get USAA Amex. The card is still branded as USAA, it is USAA bank, just AmEx's network.  

I call Poster CapTool an old Rockstar, because he had an Amex in the 1980's, a time when having AmEx was a status symbol.  It's not now IMO, just a network and a Bank (like Discover).  Amex the Bank, Centurion, is not USAA, but while it's no longer a status symbol IMO, it is a good bank for people who travel. That's another topic for another post. 

Choose wisely, plan ahead, and do feel lucky you have USAA as an option, in that of itself it's a great lender IMO.

I called USAA to get that American Express and financial advisors were telling me that I really don't need this card. And the main reason is because it has that annual fee. That annual fee is charged like $3.00 per month to equal around $35 annually.

American Express, they said, was actually the least accepted of the four. And I already have unsecured and secured lines. If it wasn't for the fee I probably would've wanted it but since it has a fee, I think I'll pass.

I don't know what my next card is going to be but whatever one it will be, it's not going to have a fee.

Message 22 of 37
msbia
Established Contributor

^ OP, I thought you knew their secured offerings had annual fees...

good luck. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Secured VISA®: Should I?

I knew. Cards with annual fees are always inconvenient. And a secured low limit card that doesn't graduate and has an annual fee will have me closing the account sooner rather than later.

It would just be a matter of time.

Message 24 of 37
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

@msbia wrote:

Wonderful response UncleB, I could not agree with you more! OP when I got my USAA secured Amex in January 2014 I felt the same as you did; I was excited to have an "Amex" despite knowing it wasn't on the Centurion network. I loved the "feel" of having that blue/white symbol on my card lol. Three months after having it, USAA approved me for an unsecured card with a $7k limit, and despite the stories, I closed my secured Amex in January 2015 and they happily refunded my deposit and closed the CD. 

Today I have my USAA Amex unsecured with a $29k limit, and I love it as much as my Centurion Amex BCP, Hilton and Business SimplyCash (all obtainable because USAA gave me a chance with a $500 secured Amex).

Good luck to you my dear! 

I signed in for no other reason but to give you KUDOS!

Message 25 of 37
msbia
Established Contributor

@OMW2_HighAcheiver wrote:

@msbia wrote:

Wonderful response UncleB, I could not agree with you more! OP when I got my USAA secured Amex in January 2014 I felt the same as you did; I was excited to have an "Amex" despite knowing it wasn't on the Centurion network. I loved the "feel" of having that blue/white symbol on my card lol. Three months after having it, USAA approved me for an unsecured card with a $7k limit, and despite the stories, I closed my secured Amex in January 2015 and they happily refunded my deposit and closed the CD. 

Today I have my USAA Amex unsecured with a $29k limit, and I love it as much as my Centurion Amex BCP, Hilton and Business SimplyCash (all obtainable because USAA gave me a chance with a $500 secured Amex).

Good luck to you my dear! 

I signed in for no other reason but to give you KUDOS!

Lol thank you so much! I love USAA and I am truly grateful for the chance they took on me, and sometimes it shows lol! 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 26 of 37
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I need a visa in my wallet. So I will gladly accept those when they get delivered, cause you know that's bringing us zero foreign transaction fees, which is a must-have. And this American Express is a must-have and I'm going to fight for it.

But you get to decide. Amex has the perks and Master has the wider acceptance.

I'm gonna give them a call and accept. Everyone is impressed by an American Express and you know what, the rates are good. I'm all in!

Amex has perks but not a secured USAA Amex, I had one a few years back and it was a straightforward secured card with no benefits except help building credit. You want Perks? Get a non secured card or a Centurion bank issued Amex. And sorry to say not everyone is impressed by an Amex, especially ones issued by USAA, get a card that benefits you, not because of the perceived impression of others. 

Actually, the USAA secured cards might have changed since you had yours... they now do seem to have some of the same benefits as the unsecured products.  Specifically, the differences that motoleo mention regarding the rental coverage are on the website:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_cc_secured_card_platinum_visa

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_cc_secured_card_american_express

When it comes down to it, we all just need to get the card that appeals to us for whatever reason, be it the benefits or just how dang shiny it is.  As long as we're clear on what the card offers, and we're pleased (or at least satisfied) with the benefits and perks, it's all good.  Smiley Wink

(Side note:  this is why I try to avoid speaking in absolutes on here... things just change too quickly to keep up with, and what might have been "absolutely certain" only yesterday might be completely different today.)

I get what your saying and the benefits are the same as when I had the card, it's standard network type benefits that most people don't use. I don't consider standard network benefits as perks I was referring to rewards more or less i.e. cashback, points etc etc. which the secured version don't have compared to standard usaa cards. I know things change often but secured is secured and not much changes there. 

Message 27 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@creditguy wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I need a visa in my wallet. So I will gladly accept those when they get delivered, cause you know that's bringing us zero foreign transaction fees, which is a must-have. And this American Express is a must-have and I'm going to fight for it.

I'm gonna give them a call and accept. Everyone is impressed by an American Express and you know what, the rates are good. I'm all in!

Amex has perks but not a secured USAA Amex, I had one a few years back and it was a straightforward secured card with no benefits except help building credit. You want Perks? Get a non secured card or a Centurion bank issued Amex. And sorry to say not everyone is impressed by an Amex, especially ones issued by USAA, get a card that benefits you, not because of the perceived impression of others. 

Actually, the USAA secured cards might have changed since you had yours... they now do seem to have some of the same benefits as the unsecured products.  Specifically, the differences that motoleo mention regarding the rental coverage are on the website:

When it comes down to it, we all just need to get the card that appeals to us for whatever reason, be it the benefits or just how dang shiny it is.  As long as we're clear on what the card offers, and we're pleased (or at least satisfied) with the benefits and perks, it's all good.  Smiley Wink

(Side note:  this is why I try to avoid speaking in absolutes on here... things just change too quickly to keep up with, and what might have been "absolutely certain" only yesterday might be completely different today.)

I get what your saying and the benefits are the same as when I had the card, it's standard network type benefits that most people don't use. I don't consider standard network benefits as perks I was referring to rewards more or less i.e. cashback, points etc etc. which the secured version don't have compared to standard usaa cards. I know things change often but secured is secured and not much changes there. 

I agree with you completely on the rewards, there are absolutely none on the secured cards at this time. 

The reason I differentiated the terms "perks" from "rewards" is because earlier in the thread, it was the "perks" (i.e. "network benefits"; specifically rental coverage differences and the concierge) that the OP specifically called out as being desirable... I think there was a breakdown in communication there with the OP, but it's now a moot point as the she has decided that the secured card isn't for her after all.

As for what is considered 'perks' and what is not, that's subjective - but as long as we all are on the same page in the conversation we can work around it. Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 37
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you completely on the rewards, there are absolutely none on the secured cards at this time. 

The reason I differentiated the terms "perks" from "rewards" is because earlier in the thread, it was the "perks" (i.e. "network benefits"; specifically rental coverage differences and the concierge) that the OP specifically called out as being desirable... I think there was a breakdown in communication there with the OP, but it's now a moot point as the she has decided that the secured card isn't for her after all.

As for what is considered 'perks' and what is not, that's subjective - but as long as we all are on the same page in the conversation we can work around it. :smileywink:

Very true, I just figured the way OP gushed about Amex and Perks they were confusing network perks and Bank rewards, but its all good. Thanks for the thoughtful insight as always UncleB. 

Message 29 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@creditguy wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As for what is considered 'perks' and what is not, that's subjective - but as long as we all are on the same page in the conversation we can work around it. :smileywink:

Very true, I just figured the way OP gushed about Amex and Perks they were confusing network perks and Bank rewards, but its all good. Thanks for the thoughtful insight as always UncleB. 

+1

I genuinely appreciate your insight as well!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.