Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Sucks.... NFCU Rocks!

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA Sucks.... NFCU Rocks!

USAA_Moderator please check your PM"s (Private Messages).

Message 31 of 54
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

USAA is my favorite bank by far.  I have a NFCU card as well, and NFCU has a good phone support service, but the NFCU website pales in comparision to the usability and added features of the USAA site....  sorry to hear your cards got cancelled.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 32 of 54
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

USAA Customer Service has gone down in the recent years. They used to be so good, it's sad. I'm a member there and NFCU, good CS so far at NFCU so we shall see if I'm happier there. Still have my car insurance at USAA, policy is up for renewal next month. Wonder is NFCU has better policies? USAA keeps telling me that my policy increases because FL rates.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 33 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jordanmedical wrote:
USAA Customer Service has gone down in the recent years. They used to be so good, it's sad. I'm a member there and NFCU, good CS so far at NFCU so we shall see if I'm happier there. Still have my car insurance at USAA, policy is up for renewal next month. Wonder is NFCU has better policies? USAA keeps telling me that my policy increases because FL rates.

I'm in FL too and they keep telling me the same thing. MY rate increase at every renewal by $20 or less.

Message 34 of 54
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Its because the chances of your car getting toatled in a hurricane are significantly higher if you live right on the FL coast.  I am on TDY in FL for 6 months and I had to change my insurance policy due to changing my mailing address for all my accounts.... my rate did go up, which is surprising due to the fact that I used to be driving in DC-area traffic with bad out-of-control drivers everywhere and crashed cars on the side of the roads every other trip to work.... and now I am in an area with far less traffic and drivers that obey the speed limit, and paying more for insurance.  But I am sure there is a reason for it, probably the risk of bad weather.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 35 of 54
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Fl rates are likely high because it's legal to drive while using cell phones, LOL!

I've had nothing but great service from USAA. I hope OP gets an explanation/reason that helps. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

Its because the chances of your car getting toatled in a hurricane are significantly higher if you live right on the FL coast.  I am on TDY in FL for 6 months and I had to change my insurance policy due to changing my mailing address for all my accounts.... my rate did go up, which is surprising due to the fact that I used to be driving in DC-area traffic with bad out-of-control drivers everywhere and crashed cars on the side of the roads every other trip to work.... and now I am in an area with far less traffic and drivers that obey the speed limit, and paying more for insurance.  But I am sure there is a reason for it, probably the risk of bad weather.

You must not be in South FL.  Hardly anyone obeys the speed limit and there's a lot of traffic.  The turnpike is a race track.  I do at least 80mph driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, and at times cars pass me.

Message 37 of 54
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

You must not be in South FL.  Hardly anyone obeys the speed limit and there's a lot of traffic.  The turnpike is a race track.  I do at least 80mph driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, and at times cars pass me.

I am in Pensacola, on the panhandle at the Gulf coast, at this time.   The traffic is not nearly as heavy as what I am used to.  That Miami traffic sounds like fun, but its an 11-hour drive for me to get that far.  Point is though that the insurance rate for Pensacola is ridiculous and I can only imagine that it must have reasons related to things other than traffic.

Message 38 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I am in Pensacola, on the panhandle at the Gulf coast, at this time.   The traffic is not nearly as heavy as what I am used to.  That Miami traffic sounds like fun, but its an 11-hour drive for me to get that far.  Point is though that the insurance rate for Pensacola is ridiculous and I can only imagine that it must have reasons related to things other than traffic.

South FL is nothing like the Panhandle  and Central FL or other southern states.  Another reason insurance rate is high in FL is due to fraud.

Message 39 of 54
psychoinhell
Regular Contributor

FL insurance rates are also high...  well this maybe dated information, but I can tell you about 17 years ago...

A) Even you legally you are supposed to carry liability insurance, you only need proof of PIP (personal injury protection) to get tags.  Thus many people that get into accidents with their clunkers do not even have proper insurance.

B) FL has no state inspection, so you actually have some very unsafe pieces of junk on the roads.

C) FL is a heavily transient state.  Between the tourists visiting and staying lost.  You have people from all over thrown into the mix and it creates confusion on the roads.  You also have all the snow birds, which a large percentage are retirees who have slower reactions than younger drivers.

D) You also have a very heavily alcohol influenced culture in FL.  Between the topless bars, the tourist traps and night clubs, plus more liquor stores than I have seen in most states I have ever lived in.  So yes, you get quite a bit of drunk driving there. 

These are just a few of the things that I have noticed when I lived there.  I guess crime is also another potential problem, but I only had limited exposure to that.

Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
Message 40 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.