Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,095
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: USAA Surprise!


Underh20 wrote:
Yes, if you have auto insurance there is also a rebate every year.

I noticed the Deposit@Home function is available if you have a credit card with them.

Definitely USAA is far better than Chase!

By the way, since I suppose my credit files are "thin," would you recommend getting a personal loan and then paying it back completely after about a month and eating the approximately 1% in interest I'll pay? Will that trade line help my scores -- which now hover around 720 with no baddies and normal credit utilization somewhere significantly south 5%?

It's a thought, but we have it on good authority that you only get the mix points for open installment loans. There's a challenge to that floating around here somewhere, and I think someone's supposed to post back with an update when their last open loan is paid off.

You might ask if it's possible to pay the bulk of the loan back almost immediately, and drag the remainder out over at least a year. That being said, unless you're specifically working on your scores for some reason, there's really no need. But if you do this, please post back with the befores and afters on your scores! We love volunteer guinea pigs. Smiley Wink


pjohnston2 wrote:

funny, I looked under the "my offers" button and found an offer for a HELOC.

except, I don't own a home.

 


My 23-year-old has an offer, too! Ever so useful in her Bronx apartment, on her non-existent salary as a first-year med student. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0

Re: USAA Surprise!


haulingthescoreup wrote:

Underh20 wrote:
Yes, if you have auto insurance there is also a rebate every year.

I noticed the Deposit@Home function is available if you have a credit card with them.

Definitely USAA is far better than Chase!

By the way, since I suppose my credit files are "thin," would you recommend getting a personal loan and then paying it back completely after about a month and eating the approximately 1% in interest I'll pay? Will that trade line help my scores -- which now hover around 720 with no baddies and normal credit utilization somewhere significantly south 5%?

It's a thought, but we have it on good authority that you only get the mix points for open installment loans. There's a challenge to that floating around here somewhere, and I think someone's supposed to post back with an update when their last open loan is paid off.

You might ask if it's possible to pay the bulk of the loan back almost immediately, and drag the remainder out over at least a year. That being said, unless you're specifically working on your scores for some reason, there's really no need. But if you do this, please post back with the befores and afters on your scores! We love volunteer guinea pigs. Smiley Wink


I just might volunteer for that mission, sir! 

 

I will first need to ask them about prepayments.  Do you think any possible score increases will also depend on the amount borrowed?  I could borrow $500 (or whatever their minimum is) as opposed to a higher amount since the point isn't really to obtain a loan that I need.

Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,095
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: USAA Surprise!

No, FICO doesn't care about the borrowed amount (or the CL on revolving) --just your utilization, and on installment, even the util doesn't really matter. To be more accurate, it's the history and cleanliness thereof.

It's ma'am, not sir, btw, but no prob, it happens all the time. Smiley Wink I do miss my post/ base access, with all the guys (and gals) with courtesy and manners. A different world. *sighs*
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Member
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎04-29-2009
0

Re: USAA Surprise!

[ Edited ]

I just want to say USAA is great! Ive been a member for 3 years but never subscribed to any of their banking banking products. I was reading in this forum how lax they seem to be about giving new credit out at the moment so I had to try them. I have a EFX score of 682 (just checked) and my oldest account TL is BoA (2yrs-9mos)

Credit Util. 48% (EFX). I applied and this is what happened:

 

Credit Card Application
USAA American Express

Thank you for trusting USAA, ****************! Please review your summary and find out what happens next.


Summary

Your Account Number 37**-******-*****
Approved Credit Limit $10,000.00
Current APRs

Purchase APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Cash Advance and Balance Transfer APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Shipping Method Regular Mail ... $0.00
Allow 7 to 10 business days for delivery.

 

 

So I got gutsy and applied for their Platinum Mastercard right after the above app approvial and this is what happened:

Credit Card Application USAA Platinum MasterCard

Thank you for trusting USAA, *******************! Please review your summary and find out what happens next.


Summary

Your Account Number 54**-****-****-XXXX
Approved Credit Limit $10,000.00
Current APRs

Purchase APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Cash Advance and Balance Transfer APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Shipping Method Regular Mail ... $0.00
Allow 7 to 10 business days for delivery.

 

 

2 approvals for $ 10,000 x2 = $ 20,000!!! This is the highest credit limit I have got to date!! Thanks for the Info here!!!

Message Edited by JeremyATL on 05-01-2009 08:14 PM
Message Edited by JeremyATL on 05-01-2009 08:16 PM
Message Edited by JeremyATL on 05-01-2009 08:17 PM
****************************************************************************
As of : 5/17/2008 EFX- 695 EXP- 707 TUC- 727
****************************************************************************
Credit History : 3yrs 4mos
Current Accounts : USAA Amex =10K, USAA Platinum MC=10K,
Discover =2.5K, Amex Hilton =2K, Alliant Visa =5K, RBS Kroger
MC =6K, Chase Marriott Visa Signature Premier =5K, Chase Presidential Plus World MC =10K, AT&T MC =4K, NFCU Platinum
MC =20K, NFCU Platinum Visa =17.5K, Cabelas Visa =2K.
**Cards I Closed** : Walmart, AE Visa, & HSBC (all low CL's)
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0

Re: USAA Surprise!

Seems like they may be using FICO scores to at least determine APRs. 
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,095
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: USAA Surprise!

Well, maybe, to some extent. Maybe if you're brand new to USAA, and they don't have anything else to gauge you by.

They offered me a HELOC for up to $150K (I took $50K) with an EQ FICO of 651. They scolded me roundly about my score during the process, btw. Smiley Very Happy I said, yes, I know.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Member
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎02-19-2009
0

Re: USAA Surprise!


JeremyATL wrote:

I just want to say USAA is great! Ive been a member for 3 years but never subscribed to any of their banking banking products. I was reading in this forum how lax they seem to be about giving new credit out at the moment so I had to try them. I have a EFX score of 682 (just checked) and my oldest account TL is BoA (2yrs-9mos)

Credit Util. 48% (EFX). I applied and this is what happened:

 

Credit Card Application
USAA American Express

Thank you for trusting USAA, ****************! Please review your summary and find out what happens next.


Summary

Your Account Number 37**-******-*****
Approved Credit Limit $10,000.00
Current APRs

Purchase APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Cash Advance and Balance Transfer APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Shipping Method Regular Mail ... $0.00
Allow 7 to 10 business days for delivery.

 

 

So I got gutsy and applied for their Platinum Mastercard right after the above app approvial and this is what happened:

Credit Card Application USAA Platinum MasterCard

Thank you for trusting USAA, *******************! Please review your summary and find out what happens next.


Summary

Your Account Number 54**-****-****-XXXX
Approved Credit Limit $10,000.00
Current APRs

Purchase APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Cash Advance and Balance Transfer APR
11.9% (Variable Rate)

Shipping Method Regular Mail ... $0.00
Allow 7 to 10 business days for delivery.

 

 

2 approvals for $ 10,000 x2 = $ 20,000!!! This is the highest credit limit I have got to date!! Thanks for the Info here!!!

Message Edited by JeremyATL on 05-01-2009 08:14 PM
Message Edited by JeremyATL on 05-01-2009 08:16 PM
Message Edited by JeremyATL on 05-01-2009 08:17 PM

woah thats awsome congratulations

 

5/1/2009: EQ: 709 TU: 747
3/25/2009: EQ: 621 TU: 646
2/19/2009: EQ: 566 TU: 630
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0

Re: USAA Surprise!


haulingthescoreup wrote:
No, FICO doesn't care about the borrowed amount (or the CL on revolving) --just your utilization, and on installment, even the util doesn't really matter. To be more accurate, it's the history and cleanliness thereof.

Any guesstimate as to how many points one's FICO can increase given an average FICO of 730 and utilization well below 5% if they get, say, a $1,000 installment loan?  I am wondering it the score increase will be worth the effort.

Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,095
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: USAA Surprise!

I honestly don't know, although once again, we'd be absolutely delighted for you to take the bullet on this! Smiley Happy

I will say, though, that the higher the score, the less impact credit mix seems to have.

Are you specifically thinking about looking for credit in the next 6-12 months, or are you just getting fascinated with the whole FICO scoring thing? Because there's common sense, and there's what's good for your own scores, and there's the scoring formula. The same actions will not produce the same results in all areas.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎11-15-2008
0

Re: USAA Surprise!


haulingthescoreup wrote:
I honestly don't know, although once again, we'd be absolutely delighted for you to take the bullet on this! Smiley Happy

I will say, though, that the higher the score, the less impact credit mix seems to have.

Are you specifically thinking about looking for credit in the next 6-12 months, or are you just getting fascinated with the whole FICO scoring thing? Because there's common sense, and there's what's good for your own scores, and there's the scoring formula. The same actions will not produce the same results in all areas.

 

I will not be needing any new credit for the foreseeable future.  I have quite enough already -- even before my new USAA card. 

 

I guess my purpose is just building my score up to where I believe it should be.  After approximately 30 years with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I have never had any negative credit experiences reported on my credit file, but still have, I am told, a "thin" file.  Although not causing problems, it has made for some difficulties in getting what I ask for.  Being overseas for the past 18 years, I have stellar credit where I currently am.  But since I seldom use credit in the US anymore, all of my US accounts end up being closed and drop off my credit file after ten years.  Unfortunately it is not possible to have a strictly overseas bank report to any of the big three US CRAs. 

 

So, every several years I have to open a new account in the US and then hope it doesn't get closed for lack of use.  Right now I have 4 open trade lines with an AAoA of approximately two years.  Just before the current economic crisis hit, I asked Chase for a CLI and they gave me far less than what I asked for.  When I called to inquire, they told me it just looked starange that I would only have a two-year history even though they see I have been in the CRAs system for over 25 years.  They sort of make you feel like they suspect you of murder or something, but they just can't prove it.

 

Now I am maintaining my US accounts and using them once in a while to try to keep them open.  My average FICO is about 730 and credit utilization -- prior to the new USAA card -- at around 3%.  I would like to see my score make it to the high 700's. 

 

Thus, anything I do now is not really out of a need for more credit.  Rather, it is just to either increase my score or, as what happened with USAA, just a whim for portfolio diversification.  If I can also find a bank that has better customer service [than Chase or HSBC] and doesn't try to sell me crap every 5 minutes [like Chase], so much the better.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.