Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Visa to Mastercard Switch

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

USAA Visa to Mastercard Switch

Has anybody recieved thier new Visa replacing a Mastercard credit card? I have a USAA Rewards Mastercard at $5,000 --- when I look online they don't have a standard visa equal, but I do see the Visa Signature version? Anybody know if the Mastercard will get replaced with a Visa Signature? Or the regular verison available, but not on their website. 

I heard USAA was upgrading all mastercards to World -- I havent heard anything other than that email in December that mastercard was going away...anybody?

UPDATE: JAN 06, 2017 - I received an email that my card is changing from the USAA Rewards Platinum Mastercard to the USAA Rewards Visa Signature. Came with an additional 10% bonus on rewards earned thru JUL 2017. Mine must be one of the last ones getting updated considering they announced these changes bank in Oct 2015 lol I thought it was taking a while

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Visa to Mastercard Switch

Yes. All USAA MCs will be switched to Visas, even debit cards. If you have a Standard MC, it will be switched to a Standard Visa. If you have a World MC, it will be switched to a Signature Visa. They said they are doing this because, Visa is no longer charging foreign transaction fees, unlike MC.
Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes. All USAA MCs will be switched to Visas, even debit cards. If you have a Standard MC, it will be switched to a Standard Visa. If you have a World MC, it will be switched to a Signature Visa. They said they are doing this because, Visa is no longer charging foreign transaction fees, unlike MC.

+1

I'll add that I suspect that USAA will, indeed, continue to be charged the customary foreign transaction fees by Visa, it's just that the over-all relationship is lucrative enough that they will be able to waive it for their customers. 

I say this because their website specifies that the FTF will still be charged for the new Visa debit cards once they are sent out; they are simply waiving it for the credit cards.  I can also add that I had to have my debit card replaced back in February, and I was disappointed when it came as a MasterCard once again... meaning I'll get yet another card number at some point later in the year.  Smiley Frustrated

I'll also add that while most folks assume the transition will be 'World' to 'Signature' (and I also suspect as much) there's been little information on that part of the transition.  My own Visa card with them was issued as a 'Platinum' card with a $7k initial credit line, since at the time they didn't offer 'Signature' cards.  I think on some of these details we'll have to just let it play out.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

None of the transitions have started yet. they're taking their slow time. Don't expect it this year
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit card transitions started in January. My friend already got his. He received a letter first. Then, looked online and saw his bal being transferred to a Visa. He didn't know what was happening until he called. Then, he got his new card within a week of seeing the transition online.

He had a World MC, but now it's a Signature Visa.
Message 5 of 9
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

I'll add that I suspect that USAA will, indeed, continue to be charged the customary foreign transaction fees by Visa, it's just that the over-all relationship is lucrative enough that they will be able to waive it for their customers. 

I say this because their website specifies that the FTF will still be charged for the new Visa debit cards once they are sent out; they are simply waiving it for the credit cards.  I can also add that I had to have my debit card replaced back in February, and I was disappointed when it came as a MasterCard once again... meaning I'll get yet another card number at some point later in the year.  Smiley Frustrated

I'll also add that while most folks assume the transition will be 'World' to 'Signature' (and I also suspect as much) there's been little information on that part of the transition.  My own Visa card with them was issued as a 'Platinum' card with a $7k initial credit line, since at the time they didn't offer 'Signature' cards.  I think on some of these details we'll have to just let it play out.  Smiley Wink

Good Info! Yea there has not been much I can find on it and over the phone they just say "thru 2016". I have my Visa & Mastercards at $5,000 each with them, both are 'platinum' -- I wonder if they'll upgrade it to Visa Signature since they now carry them or I'll still be with a platinum, just a visa instead...time will tell...

Message 6 of 9
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
None of the transitions have started yet. they're taking their slow time. Don't expect it this year

they do seem to be moving at a glacial pace!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed.  Yesterday I received a new Siggy Visa to replace my Preferred Cash Rewards World MC.

Message 8 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Confirmed.  Yesterday I received a new Siggy Visa to replace my Preferred Cash Rewards World MC.

:[    After this transition, I will only have a Barclay Ring MC.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.