Reply
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard

DW decided to apply for a USAA credit card after being an AU on my USAA AmEx for years.  She applied for the World masterCard which, I understand, has a minimum limit of $5k.  Her instant approval came up for the USAA Platinum MasterCard with a limit of $3k

 

1.  I am guessing that she was approved for the Platinum because they couldn't give her the $5k limit required for the World MasterCard, right?

 

2.  Has anybody had success at a recon upon activation to bump up a USAA CL?  Otherwise, how long would you wait before requesting a CLI and an upgrade to World?

 

3.  Has anybody had experience with USAA (or another lender) giving you the actual FICO score they saw when they pulled your report?

 

4.  Any worthwhile differences to having the World MasterCard over the Platinum?

IAALBNYL
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard

Anybody?
IAALBNYL
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard


O6 wrote:

DW decided to apply for a USAA credit card after being an AU on my USAA AmEx for years.  She applied for the World masterCard which, I understand, has a minimum limit of $5k.  Her instant approval came up for the USAA Platinum MasterCard with a limit of $3k

 

1.  I am guessing that she was approved for the Platinum because they couldn't give her the $5k limit required for the World MasterCard, right?

 

2.  Has anybody had success at a recon upon activation to bump up a USAA CL?  Otherwise, how long would you wait before requesting a CLI and an upgrade to World?

 

3.  Has anybody had experience with USAA (or another lender) giving you the actual FICO score they saw when they pulled your report?

 

4.  Any worthwhile differences to having the World MasterCard over the Platinum?



Well, some stabs, I guess:

1. This could well be. My older daughter and I each have the World MC (automatic upgrade); my younger daughter just has the Plat. She's still having a hard time controlling her reported util, so her EQ score is on a regular roller-coaster. btw, I had a 5-figure limit on my Plat for a good long while before the upgrade, but I think it was just one of those USAA-wide changes they like to make.

2. No info on the request. I suppose the familiar 6 months' worth of good usage, but USAA doesn't follow other banks' patterns.

3. USAA told me my EQ FiCO (which I already knew) when they opened my HELOC. They shared it in a gently scolding way, as in, "Did you realize that your Beacon score is only 651?" Umm, yes. I didn't ask, though.

4. The World card reports properly, thank goodness --true CL, etc. As best as I can tell, the USAA version of the World card is better for the consumer protection goodies that come along with it. In fact, the PDF brochure that comes with it does not mention no pre-set limit anywhere. With the NPSL bit peeled off, the World card becomes competitive with AmEx cards in terms of these side perks.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard


haulingthescoreup wrote:

O6 wrote:

DW decided to apply for a USAA credit card after being an AU on my USAA AmEx for years.  She applied for the World masterCard which, I understand, has a minimum limit of $5k.  Her instant approval came up for the USAA Platinum MasterCard with a limit of $3k

 

1.  I am guessing that she was approved for the Platinum because they couldn't give her the $5k limit required for the World MasterCard, right?

 

2.  Has anybody had success at a recon upon activation to bump up a USAA CL?  Otherwise, how long would you wait before requesting a CLI and an upgrade to World?

 

3.  Has anybody had experience with USAA (or another lender) giving you the actual FICO score they saw when they pulled your report?

 

4.  Any worthwhile differences to having the World MasterCard over the Platinum?



Well, some stabs, I guess:

1. This could well be. My older daughter and I each have the World MC (automatic upgrade); my younger daughter just has the Plat. She's still having a hard time controlling her reported util, so her EQ score is on a regular roller-coaster. btw, I had a 5-figure limit on my Plat for a good long while before the upgrade, but I think it was just one of those USAA-wide changes they like to make.

2. No info on the request. I suppose the familiar 6 months' worth of good usage, but USAA doesn't follow other banks' patterns.

3. USAA told me my EQ FiCO (which I already knew) when they opened my HELOC. They shared it in a gently scolding way, as in, "Did you realize that your Beacon score is only 651?" Umm, yes. I didn't ask, though.

4. The World card reports properly, thank goodness --true CL, etc. As best as I can tell, the USAA version of the World card is better for the consumer protection goodies that come along with it. In fact, the PDF brochure that comes with it does not mention no pre-set limit anywhere. With the NPSL bit peeled off, the World card becomes competitive with AmEx cards in terms of these side perks.

 

Thank you!

 

Since my wife's credit report pretty much mirrors mine except for the fact that she has two or three recent inquiries on EQ, I am guessing that it was either the inquiries or the fact that she isn't military that did her in.  Either that, or they are more generous with CLs on the USAA AmEx.  I think I might just call them and ask.

 

And while I'm at it, I'll have her ask if they can tell her what her FICO is.

 

The reason I think the World is a bit better is, like you stated, there are some nice added goodies. 

 

A while back it seems like USAA took the "luv" button off and started a policy of automatic increases based on some internal criteria of theirs.  I've had some automatic increases on my cards, but they have been few and far between.  I think when your limits are already very high they stifle your growth.  I'm assuming that with a relatively low limit of $3k increases will be more frequent.

 

 

 

 

IAALBNYL
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,668
Registered: ‎02-18-2009
0

Re: USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard


O6 wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

O6 wrote:

DW decided to apply for a USAA credit card after being an AU on my USAA AmEx for years.  She applied for the World masterCard which, I understand, has a minimum limit of $5k.  Her instant approval came up for the USAA Platinum MasterCard with a limit of $3k

 

1.  I am guessing that she was approved for the Platinum because they couldn't give her the $5k limit required for the World MasterCard, right?

 

2.  Has anybody had success at a recon upon activation to bump up a USAA CL?  Otherwise, how long would you wait before requesting a CLI and an upgrade to World?

 

3.  Has anybody had experience with USAA (or another lender) giving you the actual FICO score they saw when they pulled your report?

 

4.  Any worthwhile differences to having the World MasterCard over the Platinum?



Well, some stabs, I guess:

1. This could well be. My older daughter and I each have the World MC (automatic upgrade); my younger daughter just has the Plat. She's still having a hard time controlling her reported util, so her EQ score is on a regular roller-coaster. btw, I had a 5-figure limit on my Plat for a good long while before the upgrade, but I think it was just one of those USAA-wide changes they like to make.

2. No info on the request. I suppose the familiar 6 months' worth of good usage, but USAA doesn't follow other banks' patterns.

3. USAA told me my EQ FiCO (which I already knew) when they opened my HELOC. They shared it in a gently scolding way, as in, "Did you realize that your Beacon score is only 651?" Umm, yes. I didn't ask, though.

4. The World card reports properly, thank goodness --true CL, etc. As best as I can tell, the USAA version of the World card is better for the consumer protection goodies that come along with it. In fact, the PDF brochure that comes with it does not mention no pre-set limit anywhere. With the NPSL bit peeled off, the World card becomes competitive with AmEx cards in terms of these side perks.

 

Thank you!

 

Since my wife's credit report pretty much mirrors mine except for the fact that she has two or three recent inquiries on EQ, I am guessing that it was either the inquiries or the fact that she isn't military that did her in.  Either that, or they are more generous with CLs on the USAA AmEx.  I think I might just call them and ask.

 

And while I'm at it, I'll have her ask if they can tell her what her FICO is.

 

The reason I think the World is a bit better is, like you stated, there are some nice added goodies. 

 

A while back it seems like USAA took the "luv" button off and started a policy of automatic increases based on some internal criteria of theirs.  I've had some automatic increases on my cards, but they have been few and far between.  I think when your limits are already very high they stifle your growth.  I'm assuming that with a relatively low limit of $3k increases will be more frequent.

 

 

 

 


 

Consider Navy Federal
Signature line begins:
Credit is not a right, but a business transaction, one that takes into account risk, and charges accordingly based on that risk.
Your credit score is an aspect of your credit profile. Important? yes but just an aspect. Contributing/supplemental information determines the finer point of the deal. Ask any question, respect me not to get mad if the answer is not the affirmation you are looking for,
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard


usmc58555 wrote:

 

Consider Navy Federal


Solid advice!

 

As much as I love USAA, Navy Federal looks better and better. 

IAALBNYL

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.