Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard

DW decided to apply for a USAA credit card after being an AU on my USAA AmEx for years.  She applied for the World masterCard which, I understand, has a minimum limit of $5k.  Her instant approval came up for the USAA Platinum MasterCard with a limit of $3k

1.  I am guessing that she was approved for the Platinum because they couldn't give her the $5k limit required for the World MasterCard, right?

2.  Has anybody had success at a recon upon activation to bump up a USAA CL?  Otherwise, how long would you wait before requesting a CLI and an upgrade to World?

3.  Has anybody had experience with USAA (or another lender) giving you the actual FICO score they saw when they pulled your report?

4.  Any worthwhile differences to having the World MasterCard over the Platinum?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA World vs. USAA Platinum MasterCard

Anybody?
Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

O6 wrote:

DW decided to apply for a USAA credit card after being an AU on my USAA AmEx for years.  She applied for the World masterCard which, I understand, has a minimum limit of $5k.  Her instant approval came up for the USAA Platinum MasterCard with a limit of $3k

1.  I am guessing that she was approved for the Platinum because they couldn't give her the $5k limit required for the World MasterCard, right?

2.  Has anybody had success at a recon upon activation to bump up a USAA CL?  Otherwise, how long would you wait before requesting a CLI and an upgrade to World?

3.  Has anybody had experience with USAA (or another lender) giving you the actual FICO score they saw when they pulled your report?

4.  Any worthwhile differences to having the World MasterCard over the Platinum?

Well, some stabs, I guess:

1. This could well be. My older daughter and I each have the World MC (automatic upgrade); my younger daughter just has the Plat. She's still having a hard time controlling her reported util, so her EQ score is on a regular roller-coaster. btw, I had a 5-figure limit on my Plat for a good long while before the upgrade, but I think it was just one of those USAA-wide changes they like to make.

2. No info on the request. I suppose the familiar 6 months' worth of good usage, but USAA doesn't follow other banks' patterns.

3. USAA told me my EQ FiCO (which I already knew) when they opened my HELOC. They shared it in a gently scolding way, as in, "Did you realize that your Beacon score is only 651?" Umm, yes. I didn't ask, though.

4. The World card reports properly, thank goodness --true CL, etc. As best as I can tell, the USAA version of the World card is better for the consumer protection goodies that come along with it. In fact, the PDF brochure that comes with it does not mention no pre-set limit anywhere. With the NPSL bit peeled off, the World card becomes competitive with AmEx cards in terms of these side perks.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. This could well be. My older daughter and I each have the World MC (automatic upgrade); my younger daughter just has the Plat. She's still having a hard time controlling her reported util, so her EQ score is on a regular roller-coaster. btw, I had a 5-figure limit on my Plat for a good long while before the upgrade, but I think it was just one of those USAA-wide changes they like to make.

2. No info on the request. I suppose the familiar 6 months' worth of good usage, but USAA doesn't follow other banks' patterns.

3. USAA told me my EQ FiCO (which I already knew) when they opened my HELOC. They shared it in a gently scolding way, as in, "Did you realize that your Beacon score is only 651?" Umm, yes. I didn't ask, though.

4. The World card reports properly, thank goodness --true CL, etc. As best as I can tell, the USAA version of the World card is better for the consumer protection goodies that come along with it. In fact, the PDF brochure that comes with it does not mention no pre-set limit anywhere. With the NPSL bit peeled off, the World card becomes competitive with AmEx cards in terms of these side perks.

Thank you!

Since my wife's credit report pretty much mirrors mine except for the fact that she has two or three recent inquiries on EQ, I am guessing that it was either the inquiries or the fact that she isn't military that did her in.  Either that, or they are more generous with CLs on the USAA AmEx.  I think I might just call them and ask.

And while I'm at it, I'll have her ask if they can tell her what her FICO is.

The reason I think the World is a bit better is, like you stated, there are some nice added goodies. 

A while back it seems like USAA took the "luv" button off and started a policy of automatic increases based on some internal criteria of theirs.  I've had some automatic increases on my cards, but they have been few and far between.  I think when your limits are already very high they stifle your growth.  I'm assuming that with a relatively low limit of $3k increases will be more frequent.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

Since my wife's credit report pretty much mirrors mine except for the fact that she has two or three recent inquiries on EQ, I am guessing that it was either the inquiries or the fact that she isn't military that did her in.  Either that, or they are more generous with CLs on the USAA AmEx.  I think I might just call them and ask.

And while I'm at it, I'll have her ask if they can tell her what her FICO is.

The reason I think the World is a bit better is, like you stated, there are some nice added goodies. 

A while back it seems like USAA took the "luv" button off and started a policy of automatic increases based on some internal criteria of theirs.  I've had some automatic increases on my cards, but they have been few and far between.  I think when your limits are already very high they stifle your growth.  I'm assuming that with a relatively low limit of $3k increases will be more frequent.

Consider Navy Federal
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

usmc58555 wrote:

Consider Navy Federal

Solid advice!

As much as I love USAA, Navy Federal looks better and better. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.