Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA and NFCU membership question

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

USAA and NFCU membership question

My grandfather served in WWII, but I'm not sure if he was a member of either USAA and NFCU - he is now deceased.

Does anyone know if I'm eligible to join? 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA and NFCU membership question

no
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 9
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Anyone can join USAA as partial member. !!!!

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 9
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Easiest would be go directly to the source....just call NFCU or USAA and ask them. Worst they can say is no. Like mentioned anyone can join USAA but not be a full member. I would just call and ask NFCU or use their eligibility button on the site.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 9
Axa
New Contributor

Bumping this to see what you found out. USAA is open to veterans, but I don't know about membership via deceased veterans. Please post an update.

TU 759, EX 744, EQ 779
Current Focus: Gardening indefinitely
Goals: 800 Club, pay off auto loan in 2 years
Message 5 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Axa wrote:

Bumping this to see what you found out. USAA is open to veterans, but I don't know about membership via deceased veterans. Please post an update.

AFAIK, if you are using descendancy as a basis for full USAA membership, one of your parents must have been a full member (they must have had an insurance product with USAA).  A grandparent cannot be used as a basis for full membership.  I think whether they are still living or not is irrelevant; it is current or prior membership status that is important.  As others have said however, you can still join as a partial member.  USAA is very precise in outlining their membership criteria.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Leadberry wrote:

@Axa wrote:

AFAIK, if you are using descendancy as a basis for full USAA membership, one of your parents must have been a full member (they must have had an insurance product with USAA).  A grandparent cannot be used as a basis for full membership.  I think whether they are still living or not is irrelevant; it is current or prior membership status that is important.  As others have said however, you can still join as a partial member.  USAA is very precise in outlining their membership criteria.

+1

Message 7 of 9
Axa
New Contributor

Yes, that's how I joined. Certainly, though, there must be an exeption made for descendants of the deceased. I'd like to think so, anyway.

TU 759, EX 744, EQ 779
Current Focus: Gardening indefinitely
Goals: 800 Club, pay off auto loan in 2 years
Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Axa wrote:

Yes, that's how I joined. Certainly, though, there must be an exeption made for descendants of the deceased. I'd like to think so, anyway.

USAA has some pretty strict guidelines for membership elegibility.  Exceptions are very rare.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.